advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00110001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys...this all seems like excellent progress...I can see new/different caps and a new board marked 'Superior'...but where are the ESS DAC chips or is this just the 'analogue' board. As you can tell, I'm way out of my depth here......just excited!;)

Well, the Superior Upgrade is the new analogue output stage design. Similar to the FDAC design, but with an Opamp based gain stage (instead of a discrete circuit) and a lower standing current.

Hi John,

I've been catching up on the last thread and found that it seems you've changed the FDAC's output to 2V RMS? This is a deal breaker for me: the M-DAC's 3V output is the absolute bare minimum for my system (indeed I would like to have 4V). Is it possible to adjust the output of my FDAC to 3 or (ideally) 4V? I am willing to make a sacrifice in ultimate sound quality to get it.

Hi John,

I've been catching up on the last thread and found that it seems you've changed the FDAC's output to 2V RMS? This is a deal breaker for me: the M-DAC's 3V output is the absolute bare minimum for my system (indeed I would like to have 4V). Is it possible to adjust the output of my FDAC to 3 or (ideally) 4V? I am willing to make a sacrifice in ultimate sound quality to get it.

Also, is this Balanced or Unbalanced?

Hi John,

Not sure where you got the idea that the voltage has changed? - but good news is that its the same 3Vrms as before at +3dB Level :)

Just checked though the caps I replaced (I still have the bad ones as a memento of the experience...). I replaced two of the 220uF caps, the rest were a mix of the 330uF and 470uF.

John,

I don't want to sound overcautious, but would it make sense to recap the 220uF caps along with the others?

Indeed - WOW :) how do they sound?

Well for 10 minutes they sounded very fine indeed, and then 2 parallel resistors in the crossover network started smoking and I had to shut them down! Still in the process of trying to identify the problem.

Ian,

Your new ESL look very nice. Hopefully nothing has been damaged besides the resistors!

John,

I don't want to sound overcautious, but would it make sense to recap the 220uF caps along with the others?

Its a question of time and cost, I will do, but I just dont see as getting very far with "superior" updates due to the time it takes to rebuild each unit - its not practical, we just cannot make the money to justify the time spent on each unit.

At the end of the day, "Superior" is meant primarily as a development stepping stone - with a few "very special" MDAC's :) released into the wild. Once design is tested, then we will "open" the order books for a one-time special order, then sadly that's it for "Superior" :(

"Superior" owners will qualify for the Morphed "Superior" + XMOS Dac PCB "At Cost + 100GBP" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back