advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00101110)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having clean hands when touching your knobs will avoid issues with both breadcrumbs and other contamination! :D

A pair of these arrived with my turntable ;)

$_1.JPG

Even "If" the we ended up at 88mm then little ventilation is required as the whole chassis of the FDAC is the radiating heatsink area - we will like to avoid ventilation holes on the lid.
John, sorry to bother again :), any final width/depth specs (if not height) on the FDAC case? Trying to figure out how to transport it - there are rack-sized proaudio bags I could use (that's what happens when you choose an industry-standard size!), but they don't have much depth, so I'm asking what to expect. :)

Thanks.

What's the latest estimate in £££'s for the detox please ? £150 rings a bell..

Yes around GBP150 - the unit is sold at cost on top of the GBP50 development fee - but the US$/GBP exchange rate fluctuation do not hep :( - we pay for production in US$

John, sorry to bother again :), any final width/depth specs (if not height) on the FDAC case? Trying to figure out how to transport it - there are rack-sized proaudio bags I could use (that's what happens when you choose an industry-standard size!), but they don't have much depth, so I'm asking what to expect. :)

Thanks.

Jiri,

430mm wide, 70mm to 88mm high & upto 350mm deep.

Happy guy ! as my pre/amp only have one input i'm waiting for fdac L3 to connect my turntable again !

I've purchased a decent analogue turntable + Quad QC24 to serve as our reference analogue system - really looking forward to listening to vinyl again - but ATM I'm still struggling to get the system to work well to listen to the Detox...

Are you talking about the 8200MB?

Micheal,

No I'm working on modified 8200M's as these where the amplifiers we used in China during the development of the MDAC - but now you mentioned it would have been time better spent trying to coaxes better sound quality from the 8200MB's... :(

Oh no, I never intended to make you sad :(

No, its my bad, I've spent about 4 days I can ill afford trying to make 8200M's work well - still its all beneficial as it confirms the simulation results with practice - work relevant to the VFET amps.

I just didn't expect it to be so troublesome...

It appears from the pics posted that John has designed the knob to have knurling which would allow operation with the tip of even an arthritic finger, etc.

The Detox, the switches and knobs are "recessed" to avoid accidental operation once set... as such, they are not designed for "practical" use :)

I've purchased a decent analogue turntable + Quad QC24 to serve as our reference analogue system - really looking forward to listening to vinyl again - but ATM I'm still struggling to get the system to work well to listen to the Detox...

Mine is an old thorens td166 mk2 from my dad's system. I will have to buy a new head but it works fine. I'm not ready to move to MC because i prefer to change to panel speakers before. As i'm involved in all your projects/products i'm waiting to have all to choose new loudspeakers.

br/

Hi

Good thread here on PFM re free review PDF's. The Hifi+ PDF has interviews with various designers including Rob Watts. His interview was very interesting - he's not impressed by DSD and has plans for digital power amps, ADC and even more FPGA filter taps - 1,000,000.

Mine is an old thorens td166 mk2 from my dad's system. I will have to buy a new head but it works fine. I'm not ready to move to MC because i prefer to change to panel speakers before. As i'm involved in all your projects/products i'm waiting to have all to choose new loudspeakers.

br/

hluga,

I've yet to setup our turntable, inf act I've not even removed it from its carton box. Once thing for sure is that a quality turntable setup gets expensive very quickly when you factor the turntable, Arm, Cartridge (and Pre-amplifier for our comparative listening tests), isolation platform, cartridge scales etc. :(

Don't be scared off by an MC cartridge I've added a balanced "0 Ohms" MC mode to the FDAC so you will not necessarily need the extra (expensive) MC step-up transformers

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back