advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00101110)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I have just got a good deal on some Tannoys in anticipation of the FDAC. Now i have had a chance to test they are working and chase up the trim that was missing! they have to go in to storage, but I will be ready. The speakers themselves have earth terminals which i gather is to reduce rf interference and if at all possible I would like to go the whole hog and use them. It seems the power amps I have been looking at do not have ground connections on the rear of the case as far as I can tell but the integrateds do. A friend tells me this was originally intended for record players which can generate static electricity.
Will the FDAC L2 have an earth point that i could connect the speakers to or will this be reserved for just L3?

Also I'm looking at hifi / AV racks, the custom route tho expensive is more flexible. Is the approximate height of the fdac known and also what clearance above it would you recommend?

Many thanks

Hi I have just got a good deal on some Tannoys in anticipation of the FDAC. Now i have had a chance to test they are working and chase up the trim that was missing! they have to go in to storage, but I will be ready. The speakers themselves have earth terminals which i gather is to reduce rf interference and if at all possible I would like to go the whole hog and use them. It seems the power amps I have been looking at do not have ground connections on the rear of the case as far as I can tell but the integrateds do. A friend tells me this was originally intended for record players which can generate static electricity.
Will the FDAC L2 have an earth point that i could connect the speakers to or will this be reserved for just L3?

Also I'm looking at hifi / AV racks, the custom route tho expensive is more flexible. Is the approximate height of the fdac known and also what clearance above it would you recommend?

Many thanks

Last I heard it was 70mm... but probably need to check this as there were discussions a few of pages back about a new display vendor which is slightly bigger.

*** Edit Nope just read back and it was a change in vendor with a higher resolution for the display panel, not that the display panel is any bigger ... So as far as I Know its 70mm plus feet

Yes the FDAC will be around 70mm Tall + Feet - although we have been considering making the FDAC 2U high for Studio equipment racks & offer an optional Rack mount kit - so at Max it will be 88mm + Feet.

BTW, the 4inch displays arrived today from China - in the Photo the panel still has the protective film:-

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/FDAC 4Inch LCD.JPG

Jarek's been designing a temporary front panel so we can power the displays and advanced the software development, so once the Digital PCB is built we can power-up the system - Thomas our software engineer has been working with the BeagleBone hardware for the past month getting a cut down Linux system complied with our drivers etc- it currently takes about 1.5 hours each time to compile the Linux kernel! Apparently we can pay for some "Cloud" computer cluster service to much reduce this time, which we might have to do...

Jiri, do you have any suggestions on such a "Cloud" cluster computer service to reduce the Linux compile time?

In the package from China with the FDAC LCD displays was the Knob and screws for the Detox - but it seems they forgot once again to ship the light guides!!!!!

Anyway - please ignore the light dispersion (as the light guides are missing) and the Compression mark (line around the circumference) on the knob, which had to be post machined on the prototype to add a Grub screw - this line will not be visible on the production units.

Considering this is a prototype its not bad at all - and it REALLY feels solid and quality (also rather slim and tiny):-

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/Detox Front View.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/photo 1.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/photo 4.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/photo 5.JPG

The LEDS are White (not Blue they appear in the photos) and the middle LED is Red as the Detox was not Clock-Locked to the MDAC at the time of taking the pictures when Clock Locked then its also White...

Please forgive the lighting / camera work - the Detox looks and feels really great in "real" - I really want to design a tiny DAC later to fit in such a chassis :) mini XLR's on the rear, USB +optical & SPDIF...

I'm still working on improving our system so I can listen to the Detox - the subwoofer arrived today, but not had a chance to try it yet - I made some modifications to the mono-blocks yesterday but they still needs further work.

Looking at the size of the FDAC display - while much larger then your typical DAC display - I'm glad we also have external monitor mode which can be connected to an external LCD TV via HDMI for Sqeezebox / Streamer operation etc. from the listening position.

Very nice :)
What's the knob made from, John?

Thanks guys :)

The Knob's machined Aluminium - apart from being "crushed" in some form of Chuck when it was being post machined to add the grub screw - it looks good in "real" - the Camera catches the light in rather odds ways that your eyes do not.

Hmm, I am down for an fdac and have an Uptone Audio regen to use with it. Somethings telling me I should have gone with detox instead!.

Yes the FDAC will be around 70mm Tall + Feet - although we have been considering making the FDAC 2U high for Studio equipment racks & offer an optional Rack mount kit - so at Max it will be 88mm + Feet.

I know the final height will be dictated by space required inside for components etc. but I would prefer it if the unit is only 70mm plus feet. as the FDAC is going between 2 shelves in my equipment cabinet and there is only 110mm between them. 88mm plus feet does not leave much ventilation space.

Thanks guys :)

The Knob's machined Aluminium - apart from being "crushed" in some form of Chuck when it was being post machined to add the grub screw - it looks good in "real" - the Camera catches the light in rather odds ways that your eyes do not.

Available in silver as well?

John,

forgive my ignorance but what functions do the toggle switches and knob perform?

As far as cables are concerned will it require usb and toslink connection to Mdac/Fdac for clock lock operation?

The design is beautiful by the way.

BTW, the 4inch displays arrived today from China - in the Photo the panel still has the protective film:-

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/FDAC 4Inch LCD.JPG

Jarek's been designing a temporary front panel so we can power the displays and advanced the software development, so once the Digital PCB is built we can power-up the system - Thomas our software engineer has been working with the BeagleBone hardware for the past month getting a cut down Linux system complied with our drivers etc- it currently takes about 1.5 hours each time to compile the Linux kernel! Apparently we can pay for some "Cloud" computer cluster service to much reduce this time, which we might have to do...

Jiri, do you have any suggestions on such a "Cloud" cluster computer service to reduce the Linux compile time?

Used to have access to premier (beating most hackers) Linux programmers and an infrastructure environment where a compile & build would have been done in milliseconds. May still be able to help, just let me know requirements and I'll investigate what powers I still may have ...

/Best Lars

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back