advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00101110)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDog

pfm Member
After seeing the complexity and minuteness of the DETOX boards, just wondered if assembly of the production boards is something that will be jobbed out to a subcontractor? Surmising that this is not something that you will want to do personally particularly given the quantity being built.

Wishing you success with the 2nd and 3rd USB stages!

I think that's being done by machine ;)

...and tested in China (both Detox and FDAC).....final listening and QC checks by JW. Only the initial prototype builds are being done by John, the production will be in China, I believe .... just imagining making more than one unit by hand brings tears to my eyes..:eek:

...and tested in China (both Detox and FDAC).....final listening and QC checks by JW. Only the initial prototype builds are being done by John, the production will be in China, I believe .... just imagining making more than one unit by hand brings tears to my eyes..:eek:

One or two units is a labor of love though not sure John would agree after his weekend...but more than that would be tough for sure.

After seeing the complexity and minuteness of the DETOX boards, just wondered if assembly of the production boards is something that will be jobbed out to a subcontractor? Surmising that this is not something that you will want to do personally particularly given the quantity being built.

Wishing you success with the 2nd and 3rd USB stages!

Depending on the design I have to build up stage by stage to allow measuring / and optimization - with something like the FDAC's Digital PCB this has to be built by machine as it uses BGA devices (Ball Grid Arrays) that have no leads but "Balls" of solder that connect to the PCB - these need to be X-rayed for QC:-

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/ADSP-21469KBCZ-4.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/BGA.jpg

Jarek and I where just discussing where we where going to find a vendor here in the Czech Rep. who would build the prototype PCB for us (at less then GBP500)....

The Analogue PCB I'll build myself as I have to optimise and test each individual stage.

That looks awesome!

Thanks Nick :) it looks and feels really really nice!

I'll post the front once the Knob arrives (its still in China as we are waiting on the FDAC displays).

The FDAC will look stunning - but its the VFET AMP's I really want to see :) (Oh and hear)!

Sadly not much ATM, but the past few week I've bought x38 extra pairs of VFET's as Jarek wants a pair of amps - and the extra for spares. (its a bad time to be paying from our GBP account) :(

I believe these where the very last "large" batch of the Nch devices in the world - there are still 200pcs or so of the P channel parts available..... but these are not much good without the Nch Complement. I also brought a few extra Pch parts without there Nch complements as spares just in case - so I made it clear to Jarek that he can only blow the Pch parts when he's testing the amps!

Well a big thanks to everyone here on PFM who have helped to support the little Detox Project :)

Oh, BTW the little Detox has been playing away on the Lab bench now for the past couple of days - still need to look at the eye pattern etc. but more important is that it seems stable into the MDAC atleast :)

Would love to have a pair of decent amps too, but the VFETs are just too big and heavy (and slightly on the expensive side), ... hoping they'll work for you at least. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back