advertisement

MDAC First Listen (Part 00101010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must say I'm impressed with the nature shown by JohnW and Alex. Refreshing. Btw I have a Regen and am on the list for Detox so you're both winners!

+1( I've had a lot of direct communication with Alex, and to some extent also with John, and I wouldn't expect anything less of them!)

I have a VPN that allows me to access US Netflix . . . .
Would need a US delivery address though. I think there may US warehouses set up to forward US purchases to other countries.

Even without the one year tidal subscription it is hard to resist and cheap compared to the competition. Should be perfect with the Detox.
I have one in preorder should arrive in about two weeks time.

Agree, very interesting product, on my shortlist together with the upcoming ELAC Discovery streamer which is to include a lifetime Roon license

Rune
Have you ordered it direct from Aurilac?
No I ordered it from a local dealer for £400 which I find reasonable. So no free tidal and getting it from the US is to much hassle and you also have to tax and wait for it to get through custom.
But I am looking forward to try it with tidal and compare it to my Intel NUC wit HDPlex LPS. Also have a Uptone Regen to try with it while waiting for the Detox.

Sorry I've been absent the past couple of days - I've been wrapping up the DetoX schematic design and as we are getting close to start listening to to varies developments - so I had to complete the electrical installation above the Lab so that I could install the audio system :)

ESL's are now installed - lets just say it will be pretty much near field listening!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/LAB ESLs.JPG

I have no idea how they sound - nor the "Room" acoustics...

I'll try these ESL's for the moment in place of my Martin Logan CLS2z's as the CLS's lack bottom-end without a sub-woofer and are a very nasty electrical load, they will have to wait for the VFET's.

I'm considering Detox; when will it be ready for delivery?

Thanks in advance,
Johan

Johan,

I've only just completed the schematic design of the DetoX yesterday - I basically had to constructed a rats nest prototype to confirm the circuit functionality - it was impressively hard but interesting to develop the Spread Spectrum clock circuit & MDAC / FDAC clock lock interface. The Random noise source for the spread spectrum modulator took longer then expected because I only have 6V available - below the typical avalanche breakdown voltage of the reversed bias Transistor junction used as a noise source. I also had to design an isolated supply for the galvanically isolated USB Full speed output.

In parallel I also had to work with the mechanical designer on the VFET / FDAC Chassis design.

From tomorrow I'm back full time on the FDAC analogue PCB, but will spend 2 hours a day on the Detox PCB design - it should be ready within a couple of weeks.

I also need to design the mechanical chassis for the Detox...

John, what is it about the valve as an electronic component in the design of audio that can noticeably improve the delivery of sound? I'm interested from an engineers perspective. Is it just generally a superior 'component' to put in a circuit offset by the fact that it generally requires more maintenance and consideration from the user (thus putting people off)?

I believe two aspects are at play WRT the sound stage of a decent tube design. the first is there inherent tolerance to RF demodulation (a DAC churns out huge levels of RF energy which the analogue stage must accept and remain linear - and the second virtue of tubes I'd rather keep quite about :)

BTW its not distortion, a decent Tube circuit can be ultra linear:-

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/Tdac proto 1KHz 2Vrms.jpg

I believe two aspects are at play WRT the sound stage of a decent tube design. the first is there inherent tolerance to RF demodulation (a DAC churns out huge levels of RF energy which the analogue stage must accept and remain linear - and the second virtue of tubes I'd rather keep quite about :)

BTW its not distortion, a decent Tube circuit can be ultra linear:-

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/Tdac proto 1KHz 2Vrms.jpg

More resilient to nuclear EMP :D:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back