advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100110)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having read that USB was never designed to carry HQ audio information, and bearing in mind the MDAC2's capabilities, what is going to be the optimal laptop connection - USB2 cable or SPDIF-Converter-Co-axial/Optical :confused:

Honestly! Usb wasn't designed as a data transfers format full stop. It was created as a serial bus interface to link peripherals to controllers.

As it stands however, it's data accuracy is perfect, and it's bandwidth limits far exceed even what quad speed DSD required, so don't worry about it. The Biface will electrically isolate dac from pc, so it scores points on some circumstances.

What sounds best will come down to your ears. The Hiface will probably give you 192khz operation, the Mdac's usb is limited to 24/96khz otherwise. Both of them are excellent solutions. The Mdac usb is more fully featured in terms of remote control of the pc, the Hiface offers higher sample rate playback.

I remember JohnW mentioning that the MDAC2 will include galvanic isolation over USB, and the new USB2 support will allow for much higher sample rates. If you are going for the MDAC2 I don't think you need any extra interface. (and the Hiface 2 does NOT have any kind of isolation).

As Keith says the current Hiface 2 is galvanically isolated, as was the Mk1 version.

The poster was asking about the Mdac, not the Mdac2.

Thanks for the replies: it looks like a definite 'wait and see'.

Now, are my Chord Co. XLR I/Cs going to be good enough?? :D:D

What sounds best will come down to your ears. The Hiface will probably give you 192khz operation, the Mdac's usb is limited to 24/96khz otherwise. Both of them are excellent solutions. The Mdac usb is more fully featured in terms of remote control of the pc, the Hiface offers higher sample rate playback.

One problem of using external USB to SPDIF converters is that you loose the ASync Clock operation with the DAC - this is a major negative WRT performance.

MDAC2 will offer Isolated USB.

I'm in the process of wiring up the Lab's main fuse box :( :( :(

I hope to have it completed tonight so I can start building up the PCB tomorrow...

I'm in the process of wiring up the Lab's main fuse box :( :( :(

I hope to have it completed tonight so I can start building up the PCB tomorrow...

frankenstein_lab.jpg

:eek:

M2Tech HiFace2 is galvanically isolated.
Keith.

Yes, you are right...although it is not explicitly mentioned in the user manual or in the product description in M2tech's webpage, they mention this somewhere in their web.

Good to know, I have had one for a long time :)

JohnW

Txs for taking your time to show me your new lab and the MDAC2. I can assure everybody that the board is first class, and it all look's SO exiting.

Could it be ' the last dac you ever need :D ' ( and I have A LOT of them ).

Your new Lab is second to none, and you must have used a small oak forest for it ;).

I promise to call next time im near.

Best

Theis

JohnW

Txs for taking your time to show me your new lab and the MDAC2. I can assure everybody that the board is first class, and it all look's SO exiting.

Could it be ' the last dac you ever need :D ' ( and I have A LOT of them ).

Your new Lab is second to none, and you must have used a small oak forest for it ;).

I promise to call next time im near.

Best

Theis

Just got back in from working on the lab all day, really happy your safely home - you hear so many horror stories about the Czech Highways.... and you where driving back on a Friday!

Next time you visit you you might have a chance to see MDAC2 prototype built and the VFET current dumping stage testing on the lab bench :)

Yes, you are right...although it is not explicitly mentioned in the user manual or in the product description in M2tech's webpage, they mention this somewhere in their web.

Good to know, I have had one for a long time :)

The MDAC's digital inputs are galvanically isolated - so you have double isolation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back