advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100110)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides , can you tell me what is the best setting of M-DAC ? I heard of different settings can result in a world of difference of sounds .

I think JW usually recommends Optimal Transient or Optimal Transient XD but it will depend to some extent on your source, amplifier, speakers and the size of your room. So I would start from there and try all of them to find which one you like best. On my system the differences are not that great, but OTXD sounds the best.

In my unimportant opinion, the right side seems like the way to go, especially the 3rd or 4th one from the right - good structural rigidness, good heat transfer ratio (considering the natural flow of room-temperature air) and simplicity - the left side just makes me dizzy from all the irregular holes. :)

I agree the LHS is to disturbing on the eyes.

Yes I agree, if the Height / Depth ratio is corrected then RHS 3 (7) or 4 (8) might work even better :)

My preference is RHS 1 (5) but 3 (7) or 4 (8) is also OK.

Hello!do you know if converter usb to spdif is good for m-dac?i have only laptop.thank you!

Audiolab m-dac/yamaha a-s300/focal 716/laptop

Besides , can you tell me what is the best setting of M-DAC ? I heard of different settings can result in a world of difference of sounds .

I believe John’s optimum MDAC Settings are:

D3E Decorrelator – full suppression/partial suppression/leave unmodified
Filter – Optimal Transient XD/Optimal Transient DD/Optimal Transient/Sharp roll off/Slow roll off/Minimum phase
LSB Restoration – restore to original/leave unmodified
Sampling rate: nominal frequency
Jitter rejection: automatic
Phase select: normal (0 deg)
LSB restore is only required for systems using Windows XP & Windows kernel mixer (it corrects for an LSB rounding error introduced via Windows kernel mixer).

Hello!do you know if converter usb to spdif is good for m-dac?i have only laptop.thank you!

I suppose that you want to take your M-DAC beyond 96/24. I can't see why any decent usb to spdif-converter shouldn't work for you.

Kind regards,
Peter

So, dumb question probably but is it possible to join the VFET list? Also, what became of the TDAC - I was on that list;)

I quite like the sway of variation 1 from the left. Otherwise numbers 1 and 2 on the right hand side (counting from the middle).

As for size, I won't like it to exceed 40 cm for depth as I need a little clearance for plugs + cables to be routed through my back panel on the stereo rack. The height should not exceed 20 cm - 16 cm would be perfect. With regard to width no wider than 60 cm :p .

Great to be able to follow your progress and design thoughts, John!

Kid regards,
Peter

Can you recomend some good converters,because one salesman recomended matrix x-spdif.i can't Find any reviews for converters.thank you!

The old Musical Fidelity V-Link (mark1) is working very well for me, from a modified Mac Mini, and I don't see any reason why a laptop would be any different. Although the direct usb connection is supposed to be better, if you have a usb isolator, I don't hear much difference between the two inputs.

There is a very detailed comparison of 16 different converters, using some very high-end gear, at
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f...onic-devices-spdif-converters-shootout-15327/
Mine is not worth mentioning (!)

I think JW usually recommends Optimal Transient or Optimal Transient XD but it will depend to some extent on your source, amplifier, speakers and the size of your room. So I would start from there and try all of them to find which one you like best. On my system the differences are not that great, but OTXD sounds the best.

Thank you ! It's very useful :p

I believe John’s optimum MDAC Settings are:

D3E Decorrelator – full suppression/partial suppression/leave unmodified
Filter – Optimal Transient XD/Optimal Transient DD/Optimal Transient/Sharp roll off/Slow roll off/Minimum phase
LSB Restoration – restore to original/leave unmodified
Sampling rate: nominal frequency
Jitter rejection: automatic
Phase select: normal (0 deg)
LSB restore is only required for systems using Windows XP & Windows kernel mixer (it corrects for an LSB rounding error introduced via Windows kernel mixer).
Thanks ! I try your setting and I think M-DAC works not bad . I can't find the Jitter rejection . I use the USB mode .

David,

I guess the root problem is the Height / depth ratio is wrong, the heatsinks are too high.... maybe reducing to 160mm will balance things out....

John,
I mentioned the problem to my (retired designer) brother and he sent me a 2-page pdf of his first stab at it. If I e-mail it to Renata, will you pick it up?

If you hate it, or it's no good, that's fine. Neither of us is an engineer. :)

David,

Just sent you a PM :)

Sorry, there are a host of post here I should reply to, Pls. bare with me as I've been working on the lab today to complete the installation of the AC mains sockets which arrived yesterday so that I can finally move in and start building the MDAC2 PCB ;) - I exhausted myself, so I'll check back in here once I get some sleep.

Can someone remind me, is there a plan to include an optional phono stage in the larger chassis of the MDAC2 or is this still just a thought at the moment?

John
Like most people I like the rounded rectangular cut outs, and the ovoid shape is not bad if it needed to be mixed with something else. My twopenneth.
Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back