advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has attracted my interest. Not that I need it, but it's similar size to the M-DAC and might sit nicely with it. Stupidly no COAX SPDIF thought.

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-16089-pioneer-np01-networked-audio-player.aspx

313358.jpg

81wobVklXjL._SL1500_.jpg

Pioneer-N-P01-K-Noir_L1_1200.jpg

http://youtu.be/zzNTpxiECsA

[YOUTUBE]http://youtu.be/zzNTpxiECsA[/YOUTUBE]

I'm not on the VFET amp list, as I'm really happy with my EAR 890, and really don't want to change it, but...

It would be interesting to know the dimensions of the new VFET chassis, just in case a place on the waiting list became available.

Trying not to be tempted!

Jem,

The sample chassis I've ordered is 430mm Wide x 100mm High x 330mm Deep.

These dimensions are subject to change for customized VFET design. As soon as I physically have the chassis I'll start the internal component layout and will then be able to confirm the final dimensions.

I have the mechanical drawings, but I prefer to work with a physical unit as proportions are very important, and its easier to arrange the internal layout.

Hi John, I was originally down for the silver 8200MB chassis, but started thinking black might be easier to hide if I were to locate the amps on the floor somewhere near the speakers (I believe the advice is to use longer XLRs and shorter speaker cables, right?)

Yes, the shorter the speaker cable the better.

Is the silver version going to be a painted front panel, or bare milled metal?

Anodised with fine bead blast - with Laser milling for the Logo etc.

Hard to believe that your planned design has improved beyond the incredible spec we originally signed up for, this seems to have become the norm with you though! Thanks so much for all your effort and the attention to detail you're putting into it, as ever.

Thats the way I work - I have a loose idea of what I would like to achieve and then without restrictions I let just the creative process flow - I could never work well in Germany with there precise planning!

The MDAC2 project has also developed along the same path.

I'm feeling quite bad that you might be lumbered with the extra task of selling off the unwanted 8200MBs though. As per what others have said, I'm happy to absorb any extra costs this might incur, I'm just glad to be onboard with the project.

Hey that's my bad - I bought the donor 8200MBs at the start of the project - but I've since made contact with a company in China who can manufacture the custom chassis. The VFET amps really deserve a higher quality chassis - one the owner can have pride in.

Thanks, John. Does the MDAC2/TDAC thing mean that we have to choose whether we're on for buying MDAC2, or holding back for TDAC?

I'm with John on the ad hoc planning, I find 'evolution planning' usually provide for a better end result.

Though of course timescales go out of the window when too much evolution takes place. :D

Hi John,

I've been hanging back from acquiring a new power amp (using the MDAC2 as a pre) awaiting the MIMP/MAMP. Based on your comments regarding your priorities for next year can I assume that I may need to consider a different option?

Phil

I love my setup with my ITX audio/video pc running Foobar+TouchRemote, remote controlled by iPad, iPhone (Apple Remote) or Android phone (Retune).

www.dropbox.com/s/ljbtyyqvyt6oe0f/MDAC control.JPG

Nice! :cool:

I was also think along the M-ITX route, or a Mac Mini, but I do fancy something with a screen on the front. I was also thinking of doing a Raspberry Pi or similar with a LCD touch screen or the like, but TBH, chances are that Pioneer will be sub £300 on Amazon sooner or later, so if it does what I need that is what I might get. I mostly have CD ripped music, so DSD and Hi-Res are not so important. I have 3 or 4 SACD, but no PS3 capable of ripping them. Sometimes I'm just too busy to be farting about with DIY!

Nice! :cool:

I was also think along the M-ITX route, or a Mac Mini, but I do fancy something with a screen on the front. I was also thinking of doing a Raspberry Pi or similar with a LCD touch screen or the like, but TBH, chances are that Pioneer will be sub £300 on Amazon sooner or later, so if it does what I need that is what I might get. I mostly have CD ripped music, so DSD and Hi-Res are not so important. I have 3 or 4 SACD, but no PS3 capable of ripping them. Sometimes I'm just too busy to be farting about with DIY!

If you fancy going smaller consider a NUC.. Its a move I made and I couldnt be happier! Its TINY!

Hi John,

I've been hanging back from acquiring a new power amp (using the MDAC2 as a pre) awaiting the MIMP/MAMP. Based on your comments regarding your priorities for next year can I assume that I may need to consider a different option?

Phil

I've just bought a NEW Audiolab M-PWR amp from Superfi for £350. They tell me this is a special deal, and they have 4 left. They also have a few ex-demo ones at £299.

Ring the Lincoln store and ask for Paul (01522 520265).

JW said they were ok, and IIRC he can mod them a bit. The ones at 299 might be good donor chassis?

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-15161-in-store-clearance-lincoln-audiolab-m-pwr-stereo-power-amplifier-black.aspx

photo_j3bdp.jpg

John

I have signed up for the Mdac but if I want I can change to the Tdac what will have its own case and internal power supply.

How long to when you will be working on the Tdac.

I must ask a question that have been burning in my head for a while.
How good dose the Vanilla M-DAC pair with the Audeze LCD-2 Rev.2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back