advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must ask a question that have been burning in my head for a while.
How good dose the Vanilla M-DAC pair with the Audeze LCD-2 Rev.2?

It should be fine, the headphone amp is very good. Drives my Grados perfectly, and they are 30 ohms IIRC.

http://www.audeze.com/products/headphones/lcd-2

Features and Specifications
Style Open circumaural
Transducer type Planar magnetic
Magnetic structure Proprietary self-closing design
Magnet type High-grade Neodymium
Diaphragm area 39.8sq cm (6.17sq in)
Maximum power 15W (for 200 ms)
Optimal power 1-4W
SPL > 130dB with 15W
Frequency response 5Hz - 20kHz extension to 50kHz
THD < 1%
Impedance 70 ohms
Efficiency 93dB / 1mW
Weight 600g
Cable length 2.5m (8.2 ft)

It should be fine, the headphone amp is very good. Drives my Grados perfectly, and they are 30 ohms IIRC.

http://www.audeze.com/products/headphones/lcd-2

Features and Specifications
Style Open circumaural
Transducer type Planar magnetic
Magnetic structure Proprietary self-closing design
Magnet type High-grade Neodymium
Diaphragm area 39.8sq cm (6.17sq in)
Maximum power 15W (for 200 ms)
Optimal power 1-4W
SPL > 130dB with 15W
Frequency response 5Hz - 20kHz extension to 50kHz
THD < 1%
Impedance 70 ohms
Efficiency 93dB / 1mW
Weight 600g
Cable length 2.5m (8.2 ft)

So what will be the equivalent wattage headphone output of the MDAC2, currently the MDAC headphone out struggles to drive my 880 600ohms, also I assume the headphone mini xlr that's round the back will be more powerful? What equivalent wattage at different ohm ratings is this likely to be?

Bob,

Can you clarify what you mean by "struggles to drive your headphones" - distortion or level?

There should certinally be no distortion - I cannot comment on output levels.

Assuming that we are committed to MDAC2 but also interested in TDAC, how do we proceed? Is the TDAC a case of an 'I'm in' type list, or do we put money down now?

Hi John,

I've been hanging back from acquiring a new power amp (using the MDAC2 as a pre) awaiting the MIMP/MAMP. Based on your comments regarding your priorities for next year can I assume that I may need to consider a different option?

Phil

Phil,

Yes, I very much doupt we will see the amp in 2015:-

MDAC2

VFET AMPs

Slave MDAC2's

MDAC2 Full size chassis + internal PSU.

TDAC

We will be doing very well if this time next year I've completed the above :)

Assuming that we are committed to MDAC2 but also interested in TDAC, how do we proceed? Is the TDAC a case of an 'I'm in' type list, or do we put money down now?

John,

You already qualify for the MDAC2 L1 - in your case the first payment due will be for the MDAC L2 - you can then transfer your payment to the TDAC at any time in the furture.

John

I have signed up for the Mdac but if I want I can change to the Tdac what will have its own case and internal power supply.

How long to when you will be working on the Tdac.

Mike,

The TDAC will be a 3 month project once the MDAC2 design is completed - however the reality is that I'm be bogged down support the MDAC2 production etc, but I firmly believe that TDAC will be released no later then late Q3 2015.

John

I have signed up for the Mdac but if I want I can change to the Tdac what will have its own case and internal power supply.

How long to when you will be working on the Tdac.

Mike,

The TDAC will be a 3 month project once the MDAC2 design is completed - however the reality is that I'm be bogged down support the MDAC2 production etc, but I firmly believe that TDAC will be released no later then late Q3 2015.

This is a interesting discussion.
From my point of view we will see MDAC2 Q1/2015. Lets say TDAC will be there Q4/2015. This is not that long time in between.
John it would be nice if you can describe what is the advance ( feature, price) of the TDAC compared MDAC2 L2 / L3.
I am interested in a compare of a "MDAC2 L2 / L3 Full size chassis + internal PSU" and the TDAC.

regards
f.s.

Bob,

Can you clarify what you mean by "struggles to drive your headphones" - distortion or level?

There should certinally be no distortion - I cannot comment on output levels.

Hey John, no distortion. Just the volume needs to be pretty near maximum to drive them at a decent volume; to put this in perspective I don't like my headphones to be super loud. But the MDAC struggles to really grip these headphones. They are hard to drive headphones being 600ohm, but I've ended up using a dedicated headphone amp that outputs 195mW's at 600ohm (3.1 watts at 32ohm)

This is a interesting discussion.
From my point of view we will see MDAC2 Q1/2015. Lets say TDAC will be there Q4/2015. This is not that long time in between.
John it would be nice if you can describe what is the advance ( feature, price) of the TDAC compared MDAC2 L2 / L3.
I am interested in a compare of a "MDAC2 L2 / L3 Full size chassis + internal PSU" and the TDAC.

regards
f.s.

Fred,

The Analogue Board for the MDAC2 will start production towards the end of Q1 2015... production cycle will take a month or 2 depending on components etc.

The TDAC will have the same feature set as the MDAC2 - only with the Tube stage.

The Full size chassis will basically be the same for MDAC2 / TDAC, although different rear panels.

I plan to visit China once I've issued the MDAC2 analogue PCB files to start the design of the chassis for VFET amp, MDAC2 slave and TDAC.

I will work with the Company's Mechanical designer so that they fully understand the project and our quality requirements - trying to do this via long distance from Czech Rep. is as waste of time.

I've just bought a NEW Audiolab M-PWR amp from Superfi for £350. They tell me this is a special deal, and they have 4 left. They also have a few ex-demo ones at £299.

Ring the Lincoln store and ask for Paul (01522 520265).

JW said they were ok, and IIRC he can mod them a bit. The ones at 299 might be good donor chassis?

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-15161-in-store-clearance-lincoln-audiolab-m-pwr-stereo-power-amplifier-black.aspx

photo_j3bdp.jpg

Maybe JW did say they were OK- I don't remember. I do remember him saying be careful about "balanced inputs", since there are cheapo ways of doing this. Does the M-PWR have properly balanced inputs to match the M-DAC outputs?

Lintone Audio have some new black ones for £299 on eBay, so it looks a bit as if these are being dumped. Do we know why?

I plan to visit China once I've issued the MDAC2 analogue PCB files to start the design of the chassis for VFET amp, MDAC2 slave and TDAC.

I will work with the Company's Mechanical designer so that they fully understand the project and our quality requirements - trying to do this via long distance from Czech Rep. is as waste of time.

Wow, is the lower cost really worth the travel / hassle?

Maybe JW did say they were OK- I don't remember. I do remember him saying be careful about "balanced inputs", since there are cheapo ways of doing this. Does the M-PWR have properly balanced inputs to match the M-DAC outputs?

Lintone Audio have some new black ones for £299 on eBay, so it looks a bit as if these are being dumped. Do we know why?

The amps is not a true balanced design, there is an opamp that converts the balanced input to SE.

For GBP500 these amps don't come close to offering Valve for money, at GBP300 its a judgement call - you would only basically buy one to match the MDAC.

The MDAC is a far higher quality design - the MPWR is just a second rate effort to capitalise on the MDAC's success.

I heavily modified a unit - which improve the performance, but it was a significant effort.

Both Renata and I miss the little amp because while it lacked ultimate resolution it was fun to listen too :)

Wow, is the lower cost really worth the travel / hassle?

Its not a matter of lower cost - they will not be so cheap, but I'm not aware of any company in Europe who can CNC the chassis, bead blast, anodise and Laser engrave - they would also be inflexible and slow.

I'll use the trip to meet with component vendors and also arrange the MDAC2 slave and TDAC chassis.

Mike,

Is there still a plan to attempt re-use of existing MDAC2 modules? I'm wondering whether to set aside funds for the TDAC if your basing the platform based on MDAC2 platform = might have a chance of hitting Q3.

(though I should know better by now!)

Hi John I was on the original TDAC list I think so I am still interested,from what you are saying there will be no donor parts from our existing MDAC's so we can sell them and offset some of the cost.Will there be an integral improved power supply as well I guess you will need a unique supply anyway to power the valve stage.
Geoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back