advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nick,

My bad, that's because I've still got your MDAC on the lab bench ATM, sorry it will be shipped tomorrow (PO open everyday here in the CZ).

Hi John,

That's great, I only have 2 more days at work, then I'm off till next year and I'm looking forward to giving my new Hypex amps a proper workout :D

Thanks

Every VFET amp owner qualifies for the TDAC "At Cost" and automatically has a unit reserved :)

Ahem..., since I enlisted on the original TDAC roll which you limited to 20 pcs I wonder how you will cater for everyone. But I guess since TDAC will now be a MDAC2 spin off of sorts you can produce more than 20...

Anyway, I still want mine!

Best,
Achim

Ok, I'm in. £300 just sent. I didn't get a chance to enter my forum name in the payment, but it's stunsworth (obviously). My email address should be seen on the payment, it's the one that ends in steveunsworth.co.uk

Thank you for the update, I'll order one to see what we can do with it :) Maybe we can clocklock them to the MDAC2's MASTER clock giving us a HDMI input on the MDAC2 even if I need to buy and strip these units for there component parts.

This would sidestep the HDMI licence as the fees have been paid on the donor unit.

John, I'm a bit confused; there are a lot of suggestions around.

A while ago you said you were thinking of providing a modification service for BR players to provide DSD output for the MDAC2. This could be very useful- with the right BR, it would provide a route to high quality SACD playback. I had given up on SACD since the 44.1 output from rips of the CD layer (via my modified Mini to MDAC1) became as good as SACD through an old Oppo 980H, extracting the 88.2 PCM with a similar box to this one.

How does the BR fit with this new idea, especially the clock-locking, which presumably would not come as standard on the BR mod? Or am I even more confused than I thought?

Hi John,

That's great, I only have 2 more days at work, then I'm off till next year and I'm looking forward to giving my new Hypex amps a proper workout :D

Thanks

Nick,

Your MDAC's completed and on test - I'll post pictures later... I have a cold with fever coming on... so going to rest for awhile, back later.

Chris , yes was a bit of a gamble , but after reading reviews and what has been said here , I knew that there was a very good chance they would be what I was after. And boy are they just that !!! Soundstage is so real I have them well into the room , I can understand why MisterDog has them in castors.

John , still might move them slightly inwards the imaging is a few inches forward of my listening position. They have a sweet spot and sound so so different off axis. Was quite surprised at this . I wonder how they project in larger rooms? In my next house I was thinking more of an open plan living space. Btw did you get that link I emailed?

Ahem..., since I enlisted on the original TDAC roll which you limited to 20 pcs I wonder how you will cater for everyone. But I guess since TDAC will now be a MDAC2 spin off of sorts you can produce more than 20...

Anyway, I still want mine!

Best,
Achim

I've been busy buying up the Mini Tubes when they are become available at a reasonable price - I've now managed to source 650 Tubes - I'll use about 100 Pcs for the VFET amp project and the rest can be used for TDAC's :)

Ok, I'm in. £300 just sent. I didn't get a chance to enter my forum name in the payment, but it's stunsworth (obviously). My email address should be seen on the payment, it's the one that ends in steveunsworth.co.uk

Steve,

Thank you & welcome to the MDAC2 project - I believe Renata has already Emailed you :)

John, I'm a bit confused; there are a lot of suggestions around.

A while ago you said you were thinking of providing a modification service for BR players to provide DSD output for the MDAC2. This could be very useful- with the right BR, it would provide a route to high quality SACD playback. I had given up on SACD since the 44.1 output from rips of the CD layer (via my modified Mini to MDAC1) became as good as SACD through an old Oppo 980H, extracting the 88.2 PCM with a similar box to this one.

How does the BR fit with this new idea, especially the clock-locking, which presumably would not come as standard on the BR mod? Or am I even more confused than I thought?

Bob,

We can modify any machine where we can internally "tap off" the pure DSD stream - I've been recently led to believe that certain Oppo BR machines support "unmolested DSD stream" - so it seems sensible to consider these for modification as they also offer BR support.

Chris , yes was a bit of a gamble , but after reading reviews and what has been said here , I knew that there was a very good chance they would be what I was after. And boy are they just that !!! Soundstage is so real I have them well into the room , I can understand why MisterDog has them in castors.

John , still might move them slightly inwards the imaging is a few inches forward of my listening position. They have a sweet spot and sound so so different off axis. Was quite surprised at this . I wonder how they project in larger rooms? In my next house I was thinking more of an open plan living space. Btw did you get that link I emailed?

Phil,

I believe I PM you (about the dealer in Poland?) however my heads been recently in a spin battling the MDAC2 PCB design so I'd not trust my recollection at the moment.

It would seem that to varying degrees, all ML designs suffer from a "noticeable" sweat spot - but hey, when you in that spot.... you in the ZONE :D

They tend to work better in larger rooms, as with all ESLs' they like free space around them, but you still want to be located centre in that Sweat spot.

Nick,

Your DACs now playing on test in the Lab - and the first thing that strikes me is that MDAC is noticeably so much better then the CDQ I've been using for the past 6 months...

Note to ones' self, hurry up with the MDAC2 - JOHN!

I'm hitting the bed - my heads spinning...

Congrats on the MLs. Amazing speakers with a sound so tangible. I have my Montis in a room 5.25 x 5.25m: they produce a huge sound, though as you say they do sound quite different off axis.

I imagine they'll be awesome with the VFETs.

Nick,

Your DACs now playing on test in the Lab - and the first thing that strikes me is that MDAC is noticeably so much better then the CDQ I've been using for the past 6 months...

Note to ones' self, hurry up with the MDAC2 - JOHN!

I'm hitting the bed - my heads spinning...

Hi John,

That's great, I do think it sounds great, very interested in how you mod for av bypass, pics would be great. Thanks again

John: about TDAC - at what point do we get the chance to commit to a TDAC (as well as or instead of MDAC2)? I'm certainly still keen, but it'd be nice to have a rough idea as to when to be ready :)

John.
How about a photo of the new case for the Vfets? I am in the process of buying domestically acceptable av-furniture, so a depth of 330mm (rather than 380mm) is quite welcome. :) Will the new Chassis come in a choice of black and silver?
Cheers in inexpensive Masi red wine (Italian)
Peter

John.
How about a photo of the new case for the Vfets? I am in the process of buying domestically acceptable av-furniture, so a depth of 330mm (rather than 380mm) is quite welcome. :) Will the new Chassis come in a choice of black and silver?
Cheers in inexpensive Masi red wine (Italian)
Peter

Peter,

The chassis will come in either Black or Black Chassis with Silver front panel*

*That said I'll perform thermal tests to measure the thermal efficiency of the Silver heatsinks - if the thermal dissipation is not degraded too much, then we can have complete Silver (Silver Chassis + Silver front panel).

How would you (and other Silver VFET owners) feel if we had to use a Black Chassis / Silver front panel for the "Silver" units?

The vendors existing Chassis was shipped from China last week - I'm primary interested in this design because of the impressive CNC machined solid aluminium external heatsinks, however the supplied front panel is just horrendous and I don't want to scare anyone by showing the Cassie in its current form.

The vendor has agreed to customise the design for the VFET amps - I'm waiting to have there existing sample in my hands to work with before submitting the final Mechanical drawings.

I'll post pictures of the heatsink as soon as they arrive.

I REALLY hope that with well arrive before Christmas - as it would be a great Christmas present to myself to be able to work on the Amplifier design for a "Christmas break" :)

I'm keen to prototype the Error Correction, non switch Current dumping output stage (I need the heatsink in may hands for this ) - I'm interested in how linear it is without the benefits of Global feedback. I don't trust the results of Computer simulations WRT THD modelling when using MOSFETs output devices.

Enjoy the Wine :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back