advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100000)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, with almost a heartache I'm selling my MDAC level 2, mint. Wifey wanted another interior and B&O TV with accompanying speakers. Not a punishment, but now losing my hifi components that I've cared about that much. Mentioned in the classifieds section. Bye all. This is a great forum and I've followed it with the greatest pleasure.

hallo

today there exist no OS playerSW witch is DSD capable,
regarding XBMC:
"Still no support for any DSD formats such as DSF and DFF, nor the ability to open .iso audio sources such as DVD-Audio .iso files, nor CD files. No support for .ape. I still have not seen any support for.cue files either. XBMC does not enable output over multiple interfaces simultaneously for example if you want to output digital to zone 1 and analog to zone 2 for whole home audio solutions."
XBMC, witch is for me the most interesting OS player, didn't have build in web browser.
Is that the player SW you would like to use for stream to a high end DAC?

DSD can be embedded within a PCM file so it "invisible" to the player, the player behaves as its just replaying a standard PCM file....

Hi guys, with almost a heartache I'm selling my MDAC level 2, mint. Wifey wanted another interior and B&O TV with accompanying speakers. Not a punishment, but now losing my hifi components that I've cared about that much. Mentioned in the classifieds section. Bye all. This is a great forum and I've followed it with the greatest pleasure.

OH - sad to see you go :(

Whomever purchases your unit is eligible for the "At Cost" upgrade to MDAC2 L1.

hallo

today there exist no OS playerSW witch is DSD capable,
regarding XBMC:
"Still no support for any DSD formats such as DSF and DFF, nor the ability to open .iso audio sources such as DVD-Audio .iso files, nor CD files. No support for .ape. I still have not seen any support for.cue files either. XBMC does not enable output over multiple interfaces simultaneously for example if you want to output digital to zone 1 and analog to zone 2 for whole home audio solutions."
XBMC, witch is for me the most interesting OS player, didn't have build in web browser.
LMS 7.9 beta has support for DSD as well as most other file formats.

if you want to play iso files you will have to make the effort of ripping them first.

IMHO I think that LMS is the better option over XBMC for audio because it's primarily is for streaming audio to multiple devices.

Personally I don't want my MDAC2 to be a multimedia center that also handles movies. I would prefer if we can keep it audio only!

DSD can be embedded within a PCM file so it "invisible" to the player, the player behaves as its just replaying a standard PCM file....

Hi John,

What is the L4 going to look like? Seems this has to be an external box for the extra connections (USB, RJ45, screen, keyboard etc.)? If external then it still needs another connection MDAC2 <-> Micro-SOM i2. Maybe that has to be a custom interface? Is this work planned after the MDAC2 L3 release?

KR

LMS 7.9 beta has support for DSD as well as most other file formats.

if you want to play iso files you will have to make the effort of ripping them first.

IMHO I think that LMS is the better option over XBMC for audio because it's primarily is for streaming audio to multiple devices.

Personally I don't want my MDAC2 to be a multimedia center that also handles movies. I would prefer if we can keep it audio only!

As the most here I think if a sw passes the bit perfect test than all sound the same. Than the more important think is the remote. I think yatse is an outstanding and Android app. Therefore xbmc. I would use the server also for audio only.

Hi John,

What is the L4 going to look like? Seems this has to be an external box for the extra connections (USB, RJ45, screen, keyboard etc.)? If external then it still needs another connection MDAC2 <-> Micro-SOM i2. Maybe that has to be a custom interface? Is this work planned after the MDAC2 L3 release?

KR

Rear panel space is gong to be an issue, maybe the L4 version will have only a couple SPDIF inputs and an output - the rest dedicated to the USB / MicroSOM ports :-

2x USB "A" (Host)

1x RJ45

HDMI

SD Card Slot

Maybe WiFi Antenna (I'm not sure if we will include internal WiFi, depends on screening and emission)

Power connector for the MicroSOM section

----------------------

USB 2.0 "B" port (for USB audio streaming).

Clock-Lock Optical Output

Optical SPDIF Output

Coax SPDIF input

Optical SPDIF input

2x 3.5mm RC Bus

Hopefully I'll be able to squeeze the above onto the MDAC2's Rear Panel (Digital Board).

At this stage there isn't any chosen or even desired software. All there is is the concept of of a computer embedded in a 'system on module' SoM

What follows will be some time in the future.
Would it be possible to use xbmc? Yes it looks like it should be.

At this stage there isn't any chosen or even desired software. All there is is the concept of of a computer embedded in a 'system on module' SoM

What follows will be some time in the future

So much os player based on Linux doesn't exist. Because of the mdac2 features dsd is a must be. From my point of view a built-in Web client incl. flash for webradio is also necessary.

Every time I check in here the MDAC2 project has taken on another new feature or other... please wake me up when the final final MDAC2 spec is done ;)

Every time I check in here the MDAC2 project has taken on another new feature or other... please wake me up when the final final MDAC2 spec is done ;)

You won't have to because by then it'll have a built in SIM card to txt all members :p

LMS 7.9 does support DSD, internet radio and has a web interface as well as there are great apps for tables/phones.
So why look at other options?

LMS 7.9 does support DSD, internet radio and has a web interface as well as there are great apps for tables/phones.
So why look at other options?

I read in their forum that lms has no and will not have in the near future integrated Web.
Is the dsd support enough for all that planed mdac2 dsd stuff?
And is the PC board capable for all that mdac2 dsd features?

I read in their forum that lms has no and will not have in the near future integrated Web.
Is the dsd support enough for all that planed mdac2 dsd stuff?
And is the PC board capable for all that mdac2 dsd features?

That is strange because the web interface has always been a main feature of LMS.
It also had a web interface back in 2009 when I got my first squeeze box.

You can control all your player from the web interface.

So your information is incorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back