advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100000)

Status
Not open for further replies.
JohnW,

Any chance the new MDAC2 can/will have slightly higher output voltage or will it be the same? asking because I run direct xlr to my amp which has transformers to lower voltage, currently though I don't feel I have enough headroom to get 100% out of the amp with the volume all the way up on both units. Maybe I just need to turn it down, or get more sensitive speakers. :)

First time I see such a request.
What we see a lot is people asking for any kind of attenuators.

:)

Michael

Yep - looks very similar to the wandboard som, but with the advantage that the micro sd slot is not on it. I think this is an advantage as it means the micro sdcard can be removed and reprogrammed externally (avoiding the chance of "bricking" the CPU module)

Adrian,

Thank you for your valued input - its truly appreciated as while I can design the hardware - it will be up to others like yourself to support the software.

I was hoping to be able to record and playback from the SDcard, is this still possible if the software is also stored onto the card? or is the SDcard only used to download the software into the modules on-board RAM?

As rear panel space is very limited on the MDAC2 I'm hoping to use a MicroSD card to save space - is there any advantage these days between the full size SDcard and the micro cards? every SDcard I've bought recently is a Micro card fitted within a full size adaptor.

Also, if we use the Micro-SOM i2 module will a standard build of LMS run smoothly - or would it need a custom build? (I know little about Linux).

For appreciation of your support of the MDAC and hopefully MDAC2 I'll insure you get one of the first MDAC2 L4's.

So we'd have 2 wall-warts with the L4? I take it this is because you've utterly squeezed the last few drops out of the existing brick/PSU?

I've only done a "corner of a napkin" power calculation as its hard to predict how much power the digital section requires (depends on the FPGA firmware and DSP software build) - but for sure we will be near the limits of the MDAC's 30W AC adaptor.

More importantly, the Micro-SOM module will be electrically isolated from the MDAC2 digital PCB so necessitating a separated PSU.

Would it make sense to 'delay' the L4 to co-exist with the TDAC such that all of it could live in a new case with a nice big heavy linear PSU?

I still not see a route to producing the TDAC chassis here in Europe at an affordable price - so I'd not like to count on the TDAC until I can solve the chassis - the Qtys of the TDAC will be too low to manufacture the chassis in China. I have manage to source 500 tubes, with a percentage left for spares, this equates to only being able to build 200 TDACs.

I would also like to build a few Poweramps with the tubes used in the front end.... maybe to preserve TDAC Qtys. I'll use a different higher gain tube for the Poweramps...

JohnW,

Any chance the new MDAC2 can/will have slightly higher output voltage or will it be the same? asking because I run direct xlr to my amp which has transformers to lower voltage, currently though I don't feel I have enough headroom to get 100% out of the amp with the volume all the way up on both units. Maybe I just need to turn it down, or get more sensitive speakers. :)

stellablues,

What level do you operate the MDAC ATM? first time I've ever heard that its level is too low!!! good thing is that it appears your operating with very little digital attenuation :)

The MDAC2's full scale output remains the same - but with a -20dB attenuation option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back