advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100000)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,im new on this forum and im very interested to have one mdac2 and what is procedure for that.thnx

dejanjocic,

Welcome to PFM.

I'd have to direct you to our very crude Webpage - I'm getting rather embarrassed by it now :( I"ve promised to update it with the latest information including the future L4 RPi version in the next week - I've been glued to the lab bench working on the MDAC2's clock section.

At the bottom of our webpage is the payment link:-

http://mdac2.lakewestaudio.com/

Renata will Email you with confirmation once we receive your first instalments.

This should also be helpful:-

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/MDAC2 Options.jpg

John, you need a web bod/intern to do that sort of stuff for you so you can concentrate on what you are good at!

Ok,and when i pay ( and what amount for L3?)then what? I,m from Belgrade (Serbia) and how things going after that about sending my m-dac and everything else,sorry about my ignorance about this,i,m not interested about technical details ,just about sound.I already like this dac very much and use him in system Primare amp and Dali Ikon6 speakers with Wireworld ultraviolet usb cable,and sound is excellent.If you make to sound better with wider functions this is spectacular for me, thnx.

Hi John

I have been lurking for a long time, just signed and paid the 1st 3 installments for MK2 PCB + Toy option.

I will possibly choose some of the other options in due course, but it would be helpful if there was a concise summary of all the options/their benefits.

There is probably already a post somewhere in the thread someone could point to :)

thanks

John did post a link here, but not sure if it's still working
http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2339452&postcount=202
Or try here
http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2339647&postcount=222

Ok,and when i pay ( and what amount for L3?)then what? I,m from Belgrade (Serbia) and how things going after that about sending my m-dac and everything else,sorry about my ignorance about this,i,m not interested about technical details ,just about sound.I already like this dac very much and use him in system Primare amp and Dali Ikon6 speakers with Wireworld ultraviolet usb cable,and sound is excellent.If you make to sound better with wider functions this is spectacular for me, thnx.

Hi dejanjocic,

I'm very glad to read your happy with your MDAC.

I really do need to update out website - sorry for the "cryptic" threads of information.

If your only interested in the "Best DAC" with no Analogue input (ADC) then the MDAC2 L2 is the best choice for you.

If your interested in a DAC and Analogue input (ADC) then I suggest the MDAC2 L3.

MDAC L4 RPi which will be released early part of next year (after MDAC2 L1 to L3 has been shipped) adds a streamer option and an internal "Linux" based computer based on the Raspberry Pie for more advanced users.

MDAC2 L3 can be upgraded to MDAC2 L4 at later date.

The MDAC2 project is still in the design and development phase with the target to have all units shipped before the end of this year - the current payments finance the development of the MDAC2 - with the upgraded PCB being sold "At Cost".

The PCB can be installed by yourself, or you can send your unit to Czech Rep. and I will install and test your unit for you - the installation and testing is for free - you would just need to pay the extra shipping cost, and cope with being without your unit for a week or two (dependent on shipment times).

Peter,

Yes, I've heard the same - however the RPI USB port would not be used for audio Streaming only Storage / Keyboard and Mouse etc.

The MDAC2 has its own dedicated USB 2.0 Audio port.
Right, I forgot about I2S, which is - I presume - the way you want to take. Not sure about the limitations, though. :)

Hi dejanjocic,

I'm very glad to read your happy with your MDAC.

I really do need to update out website - sorry for the "cryptic" threads of information.

If your only interested in the "Best DAC" with no Analogue input (ADC) then the MDAC2 L2 is the best choice for you.

If your interested in a DAC and Analogue input (ADC) then I suggest the MDAC2 L3.

MDAC L4 RPi which will be released early part of next year (after MDAC2 L1 to L3 has been shipped) adds a streamer option and an internal "Linux" based computer based on the Raspberry Pie for more advanced users.

The MDAC2 project is still in the design and development phase with the target to have all units shipped before the end of this year - the current payments finance the development of the MDAC2 - with the upgraded PCB being sold "At Cost".

The PCB can be installed by yourself, or you can send your unit to Czech Rep. and I will install and test your unit for you - the installation and testing is for free - you would just need to pay the extra shipping cost, and cope with being without your unit for a week or two (dependent on shipment times).

thnx for fast response,i will go for L3 (with analog input),and just need some more infos about sending you my mdac,(maybe can do it myself,don't know),will have bt, total cost and things like that,thnx.

Right, I forgot about I2S, which is - I presume - the way you want to take. Not sure about the limitations, though. :)
Regarding the software side, it should be fairly well doable. RPi seems to have its own kernel repository,
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux ,
which contains the necessary bcm2708-i2s driver as well as some support for other existing RPi-compatible DACs,
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/tree/rpi-3.12.y/sound/soc/bcm

Looking at the per-DAC kernel modules, like https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/blob/rpi-3.12.y/sound/soc/bcm/rpi-dac.c , implementing a new "driver" for MDAC2 seems rather easy. Some tuning may be required, but shouldn't be anywhere as complex as ie. making a windows asio driver.

Originally Posted by JohnW

Well looks like it... it does allow many requested features such as DLNA Streamer and SBT replacement.

... Yes a WiFi USB Dongle for certification reason

Hi John,

RPi L4 - this sounds absolutely fascinating. I'm out of my depth here, but could/would the Wi-Fi support dual-band 2.4/5 GHz?

Presently I stream from router via 5 GHz Wi-Fi to a dual band extender with an ethernet port. Thence to to SBT via 30 cm ethernet cable. No other 5 GHz users here and the SBT diagnostics indicate error-free transfers at the highest test rate indistinguishable from a direct connection by cable from router to SBT.

Best wishes, Roger.

Hi John,

RPi L4 - this sounds absolutely fascinating. I'm out of my depth here, but could/would the Wi-Fi support dual-band 2.4/5 GHz?

Presently I stream from router via 5 GHz Wi-Fi to a dual band extender with an ethernet port. Thence to to SBT via 30 cm ethernet cable. No other 5 GHz users here and the SBT diagnostics indicate error-free transfers at the highest test rate indistinguishable from a direct connection by cable from router to SBT.

Best wishes, Roger.
The wifi dongle can be whatever you want it to be. 2.4GHz, 5GHz, 10GHz (if you have a license), etc.

I can recommend http://www.alfa.com.tw/products_show.php?pc=67&ps=23 (RT2770 chipset), searchable on ie. ebay under "AWUS051NH". Uses mainline rt2800usb driver and supports more advanced stuff like AP mode (via hostapd, libnl), monitor mode or frame injection (which is why I have it :) ). The ability to connect external antennae is also a key feature (I use anything from smaller yagi-based, through sector-type to omnidirectional ones). Transmit power limitation seems to be working as well (via regdb).

Of course, most other dongles will work just fine.

It's really shame to hear that only MDAC2 L3 will be upgradeable to L4 RPi. That means that us who doesn't need ADC functionality will be punished by not be able to have streamer option later.

John, is it possible to reconsider this?

It's really shame to hear that only MDAC2 L3 will be upgradeable to L4 RPi. That means that us who doesn't need ADC functionality will be punished by not be able to have streamer option later.

John, is it possible to reconsider this?

+1
I also need no ADC but are interested in L4

regards
f.s.

The wifi dongle can be whatever you want it to be. 2.4GHz, 5GHz, 10GHz (if you have a license), etc.

I can recommend http://www.alfa.com.tw/products_show.php?pc=67&ps=23 (RT2770 chipset), searchable on ie. ebay under "AWUS051NH". Uses mainline rt2800usb driver and supports more advanced stuff like AP mode (via hostapd, libnl), monitor mode or frame injection (which is why I have it :) ). The ability to connect external antennae is also a key feature (I use anything from smaller yagi-based, through sector-type to omnidirectional ones). Transmit power limitation seems to be working as well (via regdb).

Of course, most other dongles will work just fine.
Sorry if i am being slow, but given that the device is going to have ethernet input anyway, what would the advantage be in using a usb dongle (especially one which looks like a separate box, not a neat little key) rather than a conventional wireless bridge connected via ethernet?

I should add though that the embedded pi idea strikes me as being awesome. I wonder whether it would work to run it as a server as well as a player, as I understand that is perfectly possible with volumio/squeezepug/daphile, although my instinct would be to have a separate server tucked away somewhere.

I'm not sure if the above has already answered my question (a lot of this tech detail has gone over my head), but how is the digital music stream going to be sent from the RPi to the MDAC? Is there going to be some dedicated clock-locked internal (internal to the MDAC case I mean) connection, or is the plan to use async USB? If Async USB, then is the physical connection going to be internal, or will there by some way to connect the RPi to the MDAC's external USB input?

Again, apols if these are dumb questions :)

BE718,

Thank you for the payment & welcome to the MDAC2 project - Renata should Email you in the next few minutes with confirmation.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/MDAC2 Options.jpg

I'm just working on the MDAC2 Clock section (whos performance is looking very good) - I'll then promise to spend a couple of days updating the Website, I'm sorry for the delay.

Hi John

Thanks for the info on the options, I will be going for L2, and I have received the confirmation from Renata.

thanks

Thanks John,

I'll confirm when landed, and on subsequent audio audition.

Regards

Graham

John

Mdac Premium Fusion arrived safe and well, initial listening is very promising, beating the Mirus we had on loan for a few weeks by some margin, especially the lower registers...but more later and my current fav the Perreaux DP32....:confused: :):)

Many thanks, well worth the wait and will prob sign up for the L3

Kind regards

Graham

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back