advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100000)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me too !!!

By the way i think that i will finally go for L3 ! and stay on the tdac list (if there's one)

BR/

Hluga,

Basically as the TDAC is an extension of the MDAC2 development, you would only need to pay the development cost difference between MDAC2 and TDAC + the unit costs "At Cost".

So lets say you have an MDAC2 L3 then the TDAC would cost say an extra GBP200 for development + the "Build Cost" of the unit.

Owners of Toy / Fusion upgraded MDACs have "Credit" for an MDAC L1 (At Cost).

Hluga,

Basically as the TDAC is an extension of the MDAC2 development, you would only need to pay the development cost difference between MDAC2 and TDAC + the unit costs "At Cost".

So lets say you have an MDAC2 L3 then the TDAC would cost say an extra GBP200 for development + the "Build Cost" of the unit.

Owners of Toy / Fusion upgraded MDACs have "Credit" for an MDAC L1 (At Cost).

I do think that the TDAC thougths are right, partly already here in a sligthly different package (using PCM1704 ladder DAC) - - > http://www.aquahifi.com/la_scala.html

Wether ladder DAC or the opposite (Delta sigma?) is used my strong belief is that tube-technology partnered with either FPGA or transformer tech is the way to go.

/Lars

TDAC-interest from me too.
LakeWest Amp also. Mono blocks or bridged if possible.
But do get the MDac2 Rolling first!
Best wishes,
Peter

TDAC-interest from me too.
LakeWest Amp also. Mono blocks or bridged if possible.
But do get the MDac2 Rolling first!
Best wishes,
Peter

Peter,

Yes, for sure MDAC2 project will see me out to the end of this year - so TDAC is a Christmas project... OK I did promise it to myself as a Christmas gift... just a few years out :)

Put me down for both Tamp and Tdac please.

I do hope your un-relentless enthusiasm, huge amount of effort and hard work for these projects continues. Very much appreciated.

Do you think that any of your dac and amp designs could be scaled down for a mini dac amp which could be attached to a book shelf speaker? Turning any speaker into a quality wireless solution (Dnla , airplay). Maybe a thought for the future.

First things first :D maybe 2016. Perhaps find a investment partner and extend the Lakewest studio?. Or will you continue this as a hobby rather than a pressurised high volume business?

I understand completely if you do not wish to answer this. It's just that selfishly I would like to get hold of your Tdacs and Tamps sooner rather than later :eek:

Jim,

This sounds like a Relay issue - you might be able to coerce the Relay into working by cycling the headphone jack (unplug and plug the headphones a few times so the Main output relay is cycled).

If your units out of warranty then I can repair it for free for you.

John,

I've cycled in the headphone 20 times. Each time it's perfect through the head phone, but only the right channel through the speakers.

I'm in San Diego, USA. It's clearly out of warranty. Any other software maneuvers to try?

Is this an easy fix? At this point, if we are only 5 months from the MDAC2, I'm tempted to ship it to you until the MDAC2 can be completed and I'll stick with vinyl til then...?

A little help please, i owned the mdac and sold it only because i didn't require all the inputs. It arrived at it's new owner and everything is fine apart from he can't get coax 2 to work now is it likely a faulty wire or something more serious?. Obviously i was unaware of the problem as i used only usb and optical.

Cheers Chris

A little help please, i owned the mdac and sold it only because i didn't require all the inputs. It arrived at it's new owner and everything is fine apart from he can't get coax 2 to work now is it likely a faulty wire or something more serious?. Obviously i was unaware of the problem as i used only usb and optical.

Cheers Chris

Hi Chris,

Faulty Coax inputs are not very common - in fact its the first I've heard of, so its hard to say if its the unit or the cable - I'm guessing the new owner has tried swapping inputs with the "Suspect" cable?

If the units no longer under warranty then I can repair it FOC, as long as you cover the shipping cost.

The solder joints on the input transformers can be suspect - thats the first place I'd look when servicing the PCB.

John,

I've cycled in the headphone 20 times. Each time it's perfect through the head phone, but only the right channel through the speakers.

I'm in San Diego, USA. It's clearly out of warranty. Any other software maneuvers to try?

Is this an easy fix? At this point, if we are only 5 months from the MDAC2, I'm tempted to ship it to you until the MDAC2 can be completed and I'll stick with vinyl til then...?

Jim,

I could send you a replacement Mainboard - and you can swap it out with your faulty one - just as you would upgrading the MDAC2 PCB.

I'll need to test the PCB that I have here which will take a few days - and once you have swapped your board and confirmed everything is OK for a couple of weeks, then if you could please return your original board..

This will be cheaper then shipping the whole unit and you will be back up a listening sooner :)

I can talk you though the PCB swap over the phone....

Thanks Chris - hi John, I'm the new owner of christray's MDAC! I tried swapping cables/inputs last night - Coax1 & Opt1 are fine, but Coax2 wouldn't detect an input (not tried Opt 2 & USB as yet). Is it easier to discuss offline rather than clutter-up this thread?

Morning Ed,
Optical 1 and 2 plus usb were definitely ok as they were tried from my tv. The coax i never used . Let me know how it goes if you pm John.
Chris

Jim,

I could send you a replacement Mainboard - and you can swap it out with your faulty one - just as you would upgrading the MDAC2 PCB.

I'll need to test the PCB that I have here which will take a few days - and once you have swapped your board and confirmed everything is OK for a couple of weeks, then if you could please return your original board..

This will be cheaper then shipping the whole unit and you will be back up a listening sooner :)

I can talk you though the PCB swap over the phone....

Perfect. Please let me know how to proceed. Renata has my email and contact info from the MDAC2 list.

Thank you so much,

Jim

Thanks Chris - hi John, I'm the new owner of christray's MDAC! I tried swapping cables/inputs last night - Coax1 & Opt1 are fine, but Coax2 wouldn't detect an input (not tried Opt 2 & USB as yet). Is it easier to discuss offline rather than clutter-up this thread?

Hi Ed / Chris,

First suspect would be a dry joint on the SPDIF input transformer.

Ed, are you planning to upgrade to the MDAC2? if you are then this issue will be resolved with the new PCB - if you can live with a single Coax input until then.

If not, then there are two options - have it serviced by IAG UK or I can repair it FOC, but shipping's about GBP30 each way... which might make IAG service cheaper...

Perfect. Please let me know how to proceed. Renata has my email and contact info from the MDAC2 list.

Thank you so much,

Jim

Hi Jim,

I'll try to have the PCB tested over the weekend - I'm currently buried in testing the MDAC2 PCB :)

Hi Ed / Chris,

First suspect would be a dry joint on the SPDIF input transformer.

Ed, are you planning to upgrade to the MDAC2? if you are then this issue will be resolved with the new PCB - if you can live with a single Coax input until then.

If not, then there are two options - have it serviced by IAG UK or I can repair it FOC, but shipping's about GBP30 each way... which might make IAG service cheaper...

Thanks John. I wasn't planning to upgrade - I'll discuss with Chris first-off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back