advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100000)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Transistors amplifiers tend have a very Tight "firm" bass - where as Mosfet amplifiers tend to loose that leading edge impact but have a wider more "organic" sound-stage with no hint of harness.

I believe the Bass "softness" its more the fault of the MOSFET output stage then the tube...

John, please remember you have clients highly sensitive to leading edge bass impact and not so for sound stage.
:D

...Sound stage is, for more than 90% of the music I play, the result of an audio engineer, producer and sometimes musicians, mix decision.
It's an artificial setup. I can be pleased with the result, but it's not what I appreciate the most.

Michael

John, please remember you have clients highly sensitive to leading edge bass impact and not so for sound stage.
:D

...Sound stage is, for more than 90% of the music I play, the result of an audio engineer, producer and sometimes musicians, mix decision.
It's an artificial setup. I can be pleased with the result, but it's not what I appreciate the most.

Michael

Michael,

While I will use MOSFETS in the output stage due to there switching speed - I use a local error correction loop to avoid the problem.

Soundstage, although allegedly an artifact is a good indicator of timing and coherence. Good transient response, instrumental separation, harmonic structure, note decay all tend to go hand-in-hand with good 3D soundstaging and pin-point imaging within.

Soundstage, although allegedly an artifact is a good indicator of timing and coherence. Good transient response, instrumental separation, harmonic structure, note decay all tend to go hand-in-hand with good 3D soundstaging and pin-point imaging within.

This is my experience too - for me soundstage is very important, I cannot live with flat two dimension sound.... if its on the recording then it should be reproduced, no more or no less!

Transistors amplifiers tend have a very Tight "firm" bass - where as Mosfet amplifiers tend to loose that leading edge impact but have a wider more "organic" sound-stage with no hint of harness.

I believe the Bass "softness" its more the fault of the MOSFET output stage then the tube...

You could make a trip 10 years in the future and return with some vacuum field transistors :0)

You could make a trip 10 years in the future and return with some vacuum field transistors :0)

The bass response from my system with tube pre and power (13 valves altogether) is anything but soft. It also has lovely rippling texture that solid state amplification seems to lose.

No, it's soft. You might like how it represents the low notes, but it's far from being 'tight' in the bass. I love how your set-up sounds but it's not anything like tight in the big sand-amp scheme of things.

No, it's soft. You might like how it represents the low notes, but it's far from being 'tight' in the bass. I love how your set-up sounds but it's not anything like tight in the big sand-amp scheme of things.

Maybe I got used to it and the fact that there don't seem to be any timing issues.

It times beautifully, no doubt about that. It's no less tight than that Krell KSA 200 I had in for an overhaul.

Thanks too a little chinese ECC83 I now have drums and bass back :).
Downside is I'm going cross eyed with detail again !

Hi john, i'd like to upgrade my mdac so tomorrow i'll send you the money by credit card on the lakewest mdac2 website. Please, let me know at which address i should send the mdac, what kind of upgrade is avalable now and how many days do you need for the upgrade. Sorry for my bad english...

cuko,

There are two basic grades of MDAC2 the L1 (which is the entry level unit) & the MDAC2 L2 & L3. The L2 & L3 should have identical audio quality but with differences in functionality (basically the L3 includes an Analogue to Digital Converter (ADC) and lossless Wireless link).

While its "fashionable" to offer high quality PSU - my experiences with the original MDAC is that an improved PSU made only a small difference - the audio quality improvement the PSU brought offered poor value for money.

Based upon my experiences with the MDAC & upgrade PSU, I felt that to bring a "step change" in audio quality required a new design - hence the MDAC2 project was born.

In addition the the L1, L2 & L3 MDAC2 versions you can also order at the time of manufacture (when you pay the last "At Cost" PCB installment) premium Vishay Bulk foil resistors for critical locations in the audio signal path - at this time I cannot say how many resistors will be required and how much this option will cost until I've built and listened to the design.

The L2 & L3 will be fitted with Bulk foil resistors in the most critical locations as standard (and hopefully the L1 if the PCB budget allows) - so the above option uses the Bulk foil resistors in more locations in the analogue circuit.

Finally at a later date there will be a upgrade PSU PCB that replaces the MDAC original PSU board. This PCB will be offered after the MDAC2 mainboards have been shipped - and can be DIY fitted by the owner. This PCB improves the isolation between analogue and digital sections of the MDAC2 design, which should also bring a small improvement in sound quality - the icing on the cake...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/MDAC2 Options.jpg

Hi john, i'd like to upgrade my mdac so tomorrow i'll send you the money by credit card on the lakewest mdac2 website. Please, let me know at which address i should send the mdac, what kind of upgrade is avalable now and how many days do you need for the upgrade. Sorry for my bad english...

Cuko,

Its very important to understand that the MDAC2 upgrade is still in development, and realistically units will be upgraded BY early November - so before the years end.

No upgrade is currently available, the current payment are to "fund" the development of the MDAC2 and secure a position on the upgrade list - with the MDAC2 PCB being sold "At Cost" once its available.

Thanks too a little chinese ECC83 I now have drums and bass back :).
Downside is I'm going cross eyed with detail again !

:) Amazing that a tube can make such a difference :) but happy to hear you have your Drums & Bass back :D

Thankfully with TDAC and the TAMP there is only one manufacturer of the tube so I can optimise the design.

TAMP John? Have I missed something?

Think I may have sown a seed :)

Despite never having owned a valve amp I took the projected M/imp /amp project and changed the prefix to a T, in my eager anticipation. :eek:

I thought the idea may balance well with the TDAC.

You know how fluid organic ideas are;

Did you see Jack White at Glasto ?

John,

I know this has been an issue, but my left channel is down today. no crackling, just no sound. I powered on/off 3 or four times, Unplugged the whole thing for 30 minutes, re-loaded A10 (Mac), then tried the headphone jack, both channels work and sound great, but when unplugged from the headphone jack, it goes back to Right channel only. If I switch the interconnects the opposite amp/speaker works, but the one connected to the left does not.
Any suggestions?

jim

John,

I know this has been an issue, but my left channel is down today. no crackling, just no sound. I powered on/off 3 or four times, Unplugged the whole thing for 30 minutes, re-loaded A10 (Mac), then tried the headphone jack, both channels work and sound great, but when unplugged from the headphone jack, it goes back to Right channel only. If I switch the interconnects the opposite amp/speaker works, but the one connected to the left does not.
Any suggestions?

jim

Jim,

This sounds like a Relay issue - you might be able to coerce the Relay into working by cycling the headphone jack (unplug and plug the headphones a few times so the Main output relay is cycled).

If your units out of warranty then I can repair it for free for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back