advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100000)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if you have answered this long ago on the M-dac thread, but do you have a general outline of what the lakewest amp is intended to do/be roughly

Mosfet Class A with Current dumping 100W design that can be bridged - most likely Tube front end (or atleast the SE version). True balanced inputs - with Gain scaling option.

Well that's what I'm hoping for :) - but then its going to be hard to explain the "warmth and emotion" but for what ever reason (and there are a few suspects such as RF tolerance) well designed tube products have an air and realism that transistor designs lack.

Possibly the term we are looking for is ' Organic '

Drums have skins made of hide (some do)- organic.
Cellos/violins/guitars have bodies made of wood - organic.
Voices - organic.

I think this is where musical reproduction could reach as near perfection as is possible, when it can portray texture in an organic way.

Possibly the term we are looking for is ' Organic '

Drums have skins made of hide (some do)- organic.
Cellos/violins/guitars have bodies made of wood - organic.
Voices - organic.

I think this is where musical reproduction could reach as near perfection as is possible, when it can portray texture in an organic way.
That sounds like a new buzzword. :)
To be honest, the definition is a bit more complex and rather unclear.

That sounds like a new buzzword. :)
To be honest, the definition is a bit more complex and rather unclear.

Probably why there is no perfect solution to musical reproduction yet.

And may never be.

Yesterday I was standing next to a girl playing the double bass and a Canadian playing tenor sax with one hand and his keyboard with the other. :D
Both very accomplished musicians.

I have never heard a 'Hi-Fi' capable of reproducing that sensation.

No definition available - just organic.

Organic=real

Is the downside to all the hybrid euphoric happiness rolled off drums and bass? Snares only seem to highlight the high end sheen and 80hz drums sound like 200hz? Also 45hz bass is not really 45hz bass lol. Not the bass I was used too with SS. I did get a lower gain ECC82 valve put in it instead of the ECC83 standard.
Distortion seems be robbing my drums and bass of beef.

Mosfet Class A with Current dumping 100W design that can be bridged - most likely Tube front end (or atleast the SE version). True balanced inputs - with Gain scaling option.
Sounds attractive but hot.

What would the power output of the Class A amp be? One of the clever things about the Devialet design (OK, different technology, but architecturally similar) is that the Class A amp is just 1W. I think this is one of the reasons for the Devialet's exceptional linearity.

Matt

Is the downside to all the hybrid euphoric happiness rolled off drums and bass? Snares only seem to highlight the high end sheen and 80hz drums sound like 200hz? Also 45hz bass is not really 45hz bass lol. Not the bass I was used too with SS. I did get a lower gain ECC82 valve put in it instead of the ECC83 standard.

Hayche,

Did you see this thread on AOS about using ECC82s in the series 7?

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?33105-Best-place-to-buy-Mullard-ECC82

Simon.

Thank you very much Simon :)
I have been reading for quite a few hours tonight about the ECC82 v ECC83 and came to the conclusion I need to buy a 83 as the circuit is deigned for it.
That thread seals the deal.

Agree with JohnW that (at least) one tube in the path makes all the difference. Brought all the life back to music.

Unfortunately sold my nCore monoblocks before trying them with a tube preamp, should have and would probably have kept them then.

Now as a temporary arrangememt installed my hybrid integrated (ShengYa A17CS/Vincent something) upgraded with GE cryogen treated pre tubes (whatever that's worth). Enjoyable enough to stay until next step.

Awaiting MDAC2 (Christmas?) and new loudspeakers (Gauder Akustik (ex Isophon) Arcona 100) to arrive this week replacing my Evolution Acoustics MMMicroOne's.

Happy with the EA MicroOnes, especially with classic music and jazz, not so with complex compressed pop/rock and as always content with current MDAC.

/Lars

Graham,

Good news - your MDAC Fusion is now ready to go :)

The sound had a forward character to female vocals - the problem was traced to a "Hump" in the Clocks PSU noise floor, the hump was very broad reaching its peak at about 30KHz at -132dB.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/Graham1.jpg

The Clock PSU noise floor once corrected:-

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/Graham2.jpg

Note a different Frequency span - but its clear to see the noise floor is flat at around -162dB which is the analysers noise floor.

It never ceases to amaze me how sensitive human hearing is!

You unit is ready to ship :), again I'm very sorry for the delay.

Thanks John

Regards

Graham

What would the power output of the Class A amp be? One of the clever things about the Devialet design (OK, different technology, but architecturally similar) is that the Class A amp is just 1W. I think this is one of the reasons for the Devialet's exceptional linearity.

Matt

Matt,

Its been a while since I worked on the design of the amplifier - but IIRC its about 5W ClassA - with the Error corrected Current dumpers providing the rest.

Transistors amplifiers tend have a very Tight "firm" bass - where as Mosfet amplifiers tend to loose that leading edge impact but have a wider more "organic" sound-stage with no hint of hardness.

I believe the Bass "softness" its more the fault of the MOSFET output stage then the tube...

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back