advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00011110)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure where you heard that ncores works best wit Tube pre.
They work fine with MDAC pre and even better with a separate pre like the Khozmo passive pre.
If you want deep and properly defined bass, then you might spend your money better on new speakers before you get ncores.
Ncores helped in my system but ultimately it was the speakers that made the biggest change.

Well, I read it here several times.. Users reported good experience with either source tube output stage or some form of tube pre.
And yes, I plan to firstly built Ncores and than find a good match with speakers.. I just wish I had larger room and could treat it :(.

I love my Ncores with a good tube stage in front of them, but it's not necessary with MDAC, much more important are the speakers, heavy cones and difficult impedances are a true playground for them. Wilson Alexandria and Ncores really shine together, I never heard either of them better although the price difference are ridiculous
forget about 14 gr. cones of 8" they simply gets too controlled

I always though manufacturers try to come with the lightest and firmest cones possible to get it well controlled and to avoid distortion, however yes, I can understand it does not always end with the best hearing experience..

I always though manufacturers try to come with the lightest and firmest cones possible to get it well controlled and to avoid distortion, however yes, I can understand it does not always end with the best hearing experience..

Manufacturers use way too heavy cones in most speakers today, due to the demand for lower bass and smaller enclosures, this gives rising distortion because of the increased impedance mismatch between air and mass of the cone

thank you very much for your quick answer John,
I anyway thought of buying a MDAC to get a first experience how much it is improving my existing equipment (cheap network streamer with well sounding Danish active speakers.)
This unit could be used to be upgraded if I send it to you ( I have two left hands and no equipment to think about doing it by myself)
Would this be possible?
Again thank you and sorry fo bothering you.
Erwin

thank you very much for your quick answer John,
I anyway thought of buying a MDAC to get a first experience how much it is improving my existing equipment (cheap network streamer with well sounding Danish active speakers.)
This unit could be used to be upgraded if I send it to you ( I have two left hands and no equipment to think about doing it by myself)
Would this be possible?
Again thank you and sorry for bothering you.
Erwin

Erwin,

Absolutely no problem - I just wished to explain why I had been so slow to respond :)

Yes - no problem to upgrade your future MDAC - once the MDAC2 boards are available we will install the new board and test the unit here in Czech Rep. (we are building a larger lab (space) to be able to handle the work).

Well, I read it here several times.. Users reported good experience with either source tube output stage or some form of tube pre.
And yes, I plan to firstly built Ncores and than find a good match with speakers.. I just wish I had larger room and could treat it :(.

How many times did you not see any mention of tubes there? You should read between the lines of any and all forum posts or reviews. There are lots of comments both there and elsewhere that the nCores are great on their own. On the other hand there are a lot of people who feel that nothing can be acceptable, or refuse to believe that anything can be acceptable unless there's a valve somewhere. YMMV

Whiskey even if you prefer Irish.

Honey for the throat, and green cardamons in hot water for the chest (the latter inhaled not ingested ! )

Hard drive/ RAM type and make, power supply /battery, motherboard
USB driver software . Etc Etc.

To mention but a few.......

As long as you're able to get reliable streaming (which you are), I don't believe the quality of the components inside a 'data bit provider' to be any relevant for the process.
To avoid electrical, ground and other related interferences, I'm also a believer in the optical interface. I know the assync benefit is lost in the process, but I also believe that these days, in the second decade of XXI century, it is relatively easy to get reliable clocks/bit streaming out of most hardware, considering the low speed requirements of high resolution audio (for today standards).

Michael

HifiPicco (Picco), Dick Tars Finland & Eeerni (Edwin),

Ok just confirmed that we will be able to supply you salvaged units - so Pls. order via the Website so we know if you require Silver or Black units.

I expect to start shipping the first MDAC2 around June / July.

Hi John,

I had wondered about locating a faulty MDAC in the UK to use with the L2 Toy board once the MDAC2 board is ready. Would you have any contacts who might be able to point me in the direction of any units with failed main boards that might be re-purposed in this way? I assume that this is what you are doing with your ‘reconditioned’ MDACs, but I had rather hoped to find one here in the UK (preferably silver, for a change ;-)

Any advice (PM if you don’t feel that this is appropriate for the forum, btw).

Also, would you be able to give me an idea how much I am due to pay for the Toy resistors plus shipping, and when you’ll be able to send it out, please?

ta.

I love my Ncores with a good tube stage in front of them, but it's not necessary with MDAC, much more important are the speakers, heavy cones and difficult impedances are a true playground for them. Wilson Alexandria and Ncores really shine together, I never heard either of them better although the price difference are ridiculous
forget about 14 gr. cones of 8" they simply gets too controlled
Wilsom Alexandria is out of reach! I will have to do with my Dali Epicon 8 and the 4xncores driving them. They do produce extremely deep and tight bass with two 8" drivers for the lower frequencies.

Wilsom Alexandria is out of reach! I will have to do with my Dali Epicon 8 and the 4xncores driving them. They do produce extremely deep and tight bass with two 8" drivers for the lower frequencies.

Could be a good match, heavy cones, vented box, Ncores will let you know just how good they are :)

Ok just confirmed that we will be able to supply you salvaged units - so Pls. order via the Website so we know if you require Silver or Black units.

A few months ago I added my wish for a salvaged unit to the list. Up until now I was under the impression that once one was available we would be notified and asked to pay.
Not having been notified and seeing others are now buying salvaged units I understand the procedure has been changed.
Could someone please clarify?
Thanks

Johan

JohnW,

thank's for the fast answer - specially considering that your are ill and has much better to do than to answer my message. I'm grateful that you give me the possibility to join the club. I wired the money a few seconds ago choosing a silver m-dac. Since I have a working sound machine, I am not in hurry about the release date, but of course most curious about the outcome. Get well soon!

Picco

A few months ago I added my wish for a salvaged unit to the list. Up until now I was under the impression that once one was available we would be notified and asked to pay.
Not having been notified and seeing others are now buying salvaged units I understand the procedure has been changed.
Thanks

Johan
http://mdac2.lakewestaudio.com/ , scroll all the way down. :)

Thanks

Johan

I think that I'm the one who may have jumped the queue. So if there isn't a salvaged unit for you, you are welcome to my unit.
Peter

How many times did you not see any mention of tubes there? You should read between the lines of any and all forum posts or reviews. There are lots of comments both there and elsewhere that the nCores are great on their own. On the other hand there are a lot of people who feel that nothing can be acceptable, or refuse to believe that anything can be acceptable unless there's a valve somewhere. YMMV

I have Ncores and I also own an absolutely superb Leben valve preamp. I prefer the MDAC connected direct to the Ncores. The SQ is outstanding.

This is the confusing part. The paypal link suggests that are or will be ample units of both colors and there are no restrictions on ordering a salvaged unit at anytime. Whereas posts in this thread had at various times indicated that availability of salvaged units depends on supplies from Audiolab and there is no guarantee that there will be enough salvaged units for all who wants one.

Leon

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back