advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00011110)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well 2 reasons really, the first is that i'm concerned about the development times - the 2 stage route allows owners to have the improved sound quality while waiting for the added features.

The second is that we can proceed to production of the MDAC2 analogue board, while the "simple" digital board allows us to test the analogue performance without having to wait for the more complex digital board design to be completed... (and then waiting upon Dominic to perform his magic with the software / firmware).

Sorry for the brief post as i'm tapping away in the airport lounge on the iPad..

Seems a sound and sensible approach

You've decided to implement the system as 3 boards for reasons of engineering quality and modularity. The digital design you're suggesting here possibly/probably already exists albeit maybe without the isolation elements. A digital board like this at least lets you experiment/evaluate the other elements of the design as a fully working system and ensure the performance of the other 2 sections

Assuming you go down this route for your own prototyping purposes, I'd be very interested in a unit using one of these 'evaluation' digital boards :)

I'm happy to wait for the full solution if it takes some time pressure off, but I'd be equally happy with the temporary digital board if this benefits the development process.

Whatever's best for you really John :)

Will it then realistically be August/September it will be finished?

Yes the MDAC2 will be completed by August/September, in fact I'd say that June / July my best guess for the first boards - a far more realistic timescale :)

Thinking some more ... Perhaps it's prudent to wait for final solution. Just in case there's any knock on effects of final digital board that require tweaks to other boards .
I don't mind waiting until later in the year. But then I do have a fusioned MDAC :)
No harm in offering it up as an option to others, it needn't be all in or nothing choice , would it ?
I haven't even sorted if I,m going down the salvaged option or not yet. Waiting on final costs .

Seems a sound and sensible approach

You've decided to implement the system as 3 boards for reasons of engineering quality and modularity. The digital design you're suggesting here possibly/probably already exists albeit maybe without the isolation elements. A digital board like this at least lets you experiment/evaluate the other elements of the design as a fully working system and ensure the performance of the other 2 sections

Yes from an Engineering and developmental standpoint its far easier develop in 3 clear stages - and being able to optimise the design and performance on more localised sections.

Assuming you go down this route for your own prototyping purposes, I'd be very interested in a unit using one of these 'evaluation' digital boards :)

At this stage, I think I will design the "Simple" Digital PCB for Prototype bench testing, otherwise its going to be hard to optimise the Analogue stage performance with a "Hacked" digital stage of some sorts...

Yes the MDAC2 will be completed by August/September, in fact I'd say that June / July my best guess for the first boards - a far more realistic timescale :)
I have no problem with it being August/September I much prefer a realistic timescale instead of an optimistic.
I can find some other toy to play with until then. :)

With a timescale like that there is definitly no need to roll out the MDAC2 with interim digital boards.

Actually I can use the extra time to finish rearranging my living room. I've started to play with digital room correction because of some nasty acoustic problems. Work is still in progress, but first results are promising.

I'm getting a UPS for my hifi. Can any one tell he what the power draw is for the M-dac please. I'm assuming it's quite small.

In case you aren't already aware, choose your UPS carefully. Most don't output "smooth" AC:

http://www.excitingip.net/2051/is-a-pure-sine-wave-ups-better-than-simulatedmodified-sine-wave-ups/

Don't know how much effect this will have on HiFi but my gut instinct is that it will be clearly audible. John will be able to enlighten us, I'm sure.

Is the £370 payment option (available only to European customers) for a salvaged MDAC still open,
Thanks
Andy

I have my standard MDAC working flawlessly.
It sounds good enough (most equipment do until we compare it to something better)

...so yes, I prefer to wait for the final product.
:)
...Although, at this point I'm unsure of what would be the final product.
I suspect it could turn out being the first 100% Lakewest product after all. :)

Michael

I'm happy to wait for the full solution if it takes some time pressure off, but I'd be equally happy with the temporary digital board if this benefits the development process.

Whatever's best for you really John :)

+1 from me.

Well 2 reasons really, the first is that i'm concerned about the development times - the 2 stage route allows owners to have the improved sound quality while waiting for the added features.

The second is that we can proceed to production of the MDAC2 analogue board, while the "simple" digital board allows us to test the analogue performance without having to wait for the more complex digital board design to be completed... (and then waiting upon Dominic to perform his magic with the software / firmware).
The thing with this scenario that I am afraid of, is that you will probably need to spend lots of time preparing DACs with the new analogue section or, testing each and every analogue stage before shipping and that can potentially add a significant delay on the final product. No?

I'm considering adding 2 layers of Galvanic isolation which will help improve RF isolation within a single chassis due to reduction in capacitance coupling between the two domains.

The first will be between the USB input circuit and the MDAC2 digital section (and the isolated USB section can be powered via the external USB Host device - hence USB powered).

That means the optical input will be directly attached to the digital section, right? (you can reply "duh" if you want) ;)

Just checking the optical isn't going to be dropped.
I wish everybody could see the light!
;)

Michael

Thinking some more ... Perhaps it's prudent to wait for final solution. Just in case there's any knock on effects of final digital board that require tweaks to other boards . I don't mind waiting until later in the year. But then I do have a fusioned MDAC :)

No harm in offering it up as an option to others, it needn't be all in or nothing choice , would it ?

Indeed, the idea is that the "MDAC1.5" with its 24/96KHz USB Digital board can always be upgraded to the full MDAC2 at any time, its just to enable owners to get onto the MDAC2 band wagon asap.

We will have the MDAC1.5 Digital board for internal testing so its no problem to make available to others - especially as we can never be sure how long the full version will take to design and debug - then Dominik will have his hands full with the software / Firmware.

Michael,

The thing with this scenario that I am afraid of, is that you will probably need to spend lots of time preparing DACs with the new analogue section or, testing each and every analogue stage before shipping and that can potentially add a significant delay on the final product. No?

Timescales related to testing and producing the analogue board is not a problem as it needs to happen anyway - in fact the sooner the Analogue board is tested and put though its paces the better.

That means the optical input will be directly attached to the digital section, right? (you can reply "duh" if you want) ;)

Just checking the optical isn't going to be dropped. I wish everybody could see the light!

The combination of digital inputs remains the same as the current MDAC - so 2x Optical In.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back