advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00011110)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I too would rather wait and get a one hit upgrade. Less waste, less post and packing, less admin and one less time for those hamfisted out there (me) to have to go inside the MDAC.

John - I guess you're feeling pressure to have made the suggestion. What would be your preferred route?

John, take you time, strive for the complete solution, most of us don't need some half way house we'll wait for the complete thing.

Totally agree.
Plus 24/192 over USB2.0 is mainstream now, why would I want a "stop-gap" without it?

John - I guess you're feeling pressure to have made the suggestion. What would be your preferred route?

Well 2 reasons really, the first is that i'm concerned about the development times - the 2 stage route allows owners to have the improved sound quality while waiting for the added features.

The second is that we can proceed to production of the MDAC2 analogue board, while the "simple" digital board allows us to test the analogue performance without having to wait for the more complex digital board design to be completed... (and then waiting upon Dominic to perform his magic with the software / firmware).

Sorry for the brief post as i'm tapping away in the airport lounge on the iPad..

Totally agree.
Plus 24/192 over USB2.0 is mainstream now, why would I want a "stop-gap" without it?

Well it for those who desire the improved sound quality and can live with 24/96 USB until we complete the full design... Personally, I only use 44.1KHz... So improved audio quality of my CD files is all I need ATM...

Now I just need to find a defective MDAC so that come MDAC2 I can have L2 Toy for the second system and MDAC2 in the main system.... I don't suppose you know of any in the UK? ;)

Only the salvaged units....

John,

Generally I like the idea of a 2 PCB design. I'd be more than happy to pay for an interim digital board if we get a more sophisticated digital upgrade board in the end. Can the small case handle the heat with a 2 PCB solution? You mentioned an optional 2nd PSU for the digital board. Can you elaborate some more?

I'm considering adding 2 layers of Galvanic isolation which will help improve RF isolation within a single chassis due to reduction in capacitance coupling between the two domains.

The first will be between the USB input circuit and the MDAC2 digital section (and the isolated USB section can be powered via the external USB Host device - hence USB powered).

While the second isolation barrier between the output of the digital board and the "Analogue" board with the ESS DACs, Clock and Analogue stage will share the same PSU - thus will not be galvanically isolated with a new PSU supply and internal PSU. However, even without being Galvanically isolated (the second layer) is will still offer a controlled signal path between the two domains. At a later date the Isolated PSU card can be installed and thus gaining the benefit of truly dual layers of isolation.

If the TDAC requires a new case after all wouldn't it make more sense so spin a new analogue board instead of reusing the MDAC2 board plus an extra tube addon? When I think "TDAC", I'm thinking "no compromises" and with the MDAC2 being a 2 PCB design you can use the same digital board.

Michael

The present idea is to mount the Tube analogue stage above the main board via PCB pins - so there will be a direct connection to the Mainboard (No cables). This not only allows quicker development, but also allows customer replacement of the tube stage incase of a duff tube - the replacement tube will be supplied on its own PCB ready adjusted for lowest THD + output offset etc.

I done see the extra PCB header causing any significant degradation of the audio signal (hopefully)...

Sorry for any spelling errors - taped away on the iPad while waiting for the return segment to Prague....

I done see the extra PCB header causing any significant degradation of the audio signal (hopefully)...

Well, I'll have to trust the designer on this one! ;)

Let's just say you finish the analogue board design in two month from now. I'm worried that until you finish the tube addon (sometime after the improved digital board) you'll find the next bunch of improvements you wish to incorporate. :D

Better to keep the original MDAC board then to repopulate the empty MDAC case so it can be sold.

I'm getting a UPS for my hifi. Can any one tell he what the power draw is for the M-dac please. I'm assuming it's quite small.

I'm getting a UPS for my hifi. Can any one tell he what the power draw is for the M-dac please. I'm assuming it's quite small.

Arthur,

Have a look here. With 30W you should be on the safe side for both MDAC and MDAC2.

Michael

I think the interim solution is a good idea to keep the time table and to get the benefits of the mdac2 design earlier. Especially since the mdac is the weakest link in my system right now.
If the the consensus is that we should wait for the full final specked MDAC2/TDAC.
Will it then realistically be August/September it will be finished?
I would prefer to know now, because then I might get a DDAC to play with while waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back