advertisement

lp 12 best bang for money purchase

It's the thing I've been working on with the RP10. The key is realising that it's a distortion or colouration but you can replicate it, to an extent. The unipivot arm is a good idea.

I think it's what I instantly disliked about the P9 and planar 8 I owned, I'm not sure it's distortion as I've heard it from other suspended decks and arms not just the LP12.

The Regas just never sounded right to me and about a minute into an LP I'd zoned out and it became background music where as I'd usually found vinyl really engaging and attention grabbing.

Wouldn't have said that an early LP12 was 'airy'. Pushy & fun for sure. I'd say go for a unipivot arm if you want extra midrange.
I like the pre Cirkus and I prefer aftermarket unipivot arms to the Linn offerings.

Wasn't aware of this connection between unipivots and 'air' or 'midrange bias'. I have one of each format, and have tried Benz, Koetsu, Lyra and Transfig. on both. Each cart. had a preference and sounded quite different on each arm. Small sample over recent years but interesting results, two of which were that the K prefers gimbal and the Lyra prefers unipivot. I think I can see why, but it's not with a scientist's eyesight (far from it!).

I think it's what I instantly disliked about the P9 and planar 8 I owned..

I get that. For me it was a case of hearing the potential of the RP10 and working to get it sounding the way I want.

I always come back to the fact that we hone our systems to our liking over a period of time. Usually years. Everything from cables, supports, speaker positioning and partnering components will all be chosen to match. If you change a fundamental part, like the turntable, there is a good chance it won't sound right even if it is a technically superior product.

I could hear that the RP10 was way ahead of the LP12 in so many ways but it did not produce the scale or lifelikeness that the LP12 did. It does now, almost, but it's so far ahead in other areas it can be forgiven. It's more engaging than any LP12 I've owned. And I've not sorted out the cartridge yet.

Yeah, the LP12, especially earlier ones, are pretty coloured. That's not a criticism, just an observation. It's nice, it adds to the music so who cares, but it ain't on the record.

An LP12 feeding a full range set of speakers is great thing to have. I'm finding vinyl really engaging with ATC40's instead of SBLs, it just has more weight & authority.

I am always a little cynical over talk of 'colouration', very few have a golden ear & even fewer have experience of the master tape as a reference. Listening to music should be enjoyable so go for what you like.

I am always a little cynical over talk of 'colouration', very few have a golden ear & even fewer have experience of the master tape as a reference.
Also, what worked sympathetically 30-40 years ago (i.e. something like a pair of Kan 1s and bolt down or chrome bumper Naim) can make a old LP12 sound very different to what sometimes gets reported.

That someone would prefer a Townsend Crock to an LP12 is surprising but to then go on to prefer a Mitchell bOre confirms a very different musical agenda.

You're quite correct Sir, what I want is to hear what was actually recorded as opposed to some coloured, confused or embellished re-working of it, so certainly not the typical Linn presentation I've discovered. There are also those who complain that I've made my records sound just like CD, which to me means they're being reproduced correctly and to a very high standard!

That seems to be the same sort of sentiment the OP was expressing so valid comment I think.

In addition and I daresay heretically in your world, I actually think digital sources sound better than analogue ones.

Totally depends on mastering for me, for some albums the vinyl wins hands down, on others digital thrashes it. There isn't a clear winner on everything so I'm not a vinyl or CD only zealot.

I visited an old friend only recently and, by happenstance, we ended up comparing a number of streamed, versus vinyl, recordings (including two newly released records that I brought) and in every case the record was very obviously better in every way (much to the surprise of both of us)!

Last edited:
I visited an old friend only recently and, by happenstance, we ended up comparing a number of steamed, versus vinyl, recordings (including two newly released records that I brought) and in every case the record was very obviously better in every way (much to the surprise of both of us)!

Likewise I have a load of recent vinyl I never play because the digital destroys it.

It's the music that matters. Had a very pleasant afternoon, 3 CD's back to back including 'Ella & Lewis' which was absolutely sublime.

That someone would prefer a Townsend Crock to an LP12 is surprising but to then go on to prefer a Mitchell bOre confirms a very different musical agenda.

Yep.. We prefer music to artifice... Truth.. to fantasy..

I was conned into buying an LP12 and spent far too much time trying to get it to sound as amazing as everyone told me it should..

FWIW, I think everyone needs to own an LP12 at some point.. just so that they can learn to understand how the power of bullshit and advertising can blind (deafen?) them to the truth.

The LP12 is, in basic form.. a competent record player. No more.. no less. It looks tidy, .it is neat, compact, 'balanced' etc.. in its visuals. But it is all gloss. Look under the bonnet and it is a mess.

Almost everything the LP12 bollox pushed in the early days has since been proved wrong. There is not one part of the LP 12 which has not been modified, either to correct a real problem.. ('p' clip anyone.. to stop the stupid suspension from teetering about the bearing..) ? or to claim an 'improvement'. It was always a massively flawed design and I regret every hour I allowed myself to be conned by it.

David.. you attack the Mitchell Orbe. Maybe you can explain in engineering terms what is wrong with it? You'll no doubt find something because nothing is perfect. but can you match the LP12 litany of wrong turns, false starts and sheer poor engineering? Or maybe you can say something about how it sounds? I assume you have heard one? FWIW.. mine gives me better timing, deeper bass, more powerful sound and infinitely better imaging than my LP12 Cirkus/Ittok LVIII Mk2 ever provided.

It's just a turntable
Mention LP12 and to some it becomes an obsession. Now all the aftermarket companies are making the changes needed to make the rubber band fruit box play 'differently' most of the points made above are moot.

advertisement

Back