advertisement

lp 12 best bang for money purchase

That might be a good analogy had you chosen a more realistic comparison. Maybe a Golf-R vs the Aston?

The Aston will be lovely, real pride of ownership, but what about the performance? The Golf is just as fast in a straight line, probably feels a lot faster, and round corners will make the Aston be small in the mirror. But the Golf is a third of the price and overall cost of ownership will be a lot lower.

Doesn't mean the Aston is not offering anything. You've got the badge, leather, it'll be lovely, but if you can live without those things and just want the performance there are much cheaper ways to go that fast.

You've never been in or driven an Aston have you? Golf R???? LOL!

Yep.. We prefer music to artifice... Truth.. to fantasy..

I was conned into buying an LP12 and spent far too much time trying to get it to sound as amazing as everyone told me it should..

FWIW, I think everyone needs to own an LP12 at some point.. just so that they can learn to understand how the power of bullshit and advertising can blind (deafen?) them to the truth.

The LP12 is, in basic form.. a competent record player. No more.. no less. It looks tidy, .it is neat, compact, 'balanced' etc.. in its visuals. But it is all gloss. Look under the bonnet and it is a mess.

Almost everything the LP12 bollox pushed in the early days has since been proved wrong. There is not one part of the LP 12 which has not been modified, either to correct a real problem.. ('p' clip anyone.. to stop the stupid suspension from teetering about the bearing..) ? or to claim an 'improvement'. It was always a massively flawed design and I regret every hour I allowed myself to be conned by it.

David.. you attack the Mitchell Orbe. Maybe you can explain in engineering terms what is wrong with it? You'll no doubt find something because nothing is perfect. but can you match the LP12 litany of wrong turns, false starts and sheer poor engineering? Or maybe you can say something about how it sounds? I assume you have heard one? FWIW.. mine gives me better timing, deeper bass, more powerful sound and infinitely better imaging than my LP12 Cirkus/Ittok LVIII Mk2 ever provided.

I listened to decks that sound like the Orbe - more detailed, more realistic, etc - but they've bored me to death. People like different stuff.

As we all know, digital and analogue both have their merits.

I bought my LP12 when I was 18, 51 now and still very happy with it. Little has changed with the deck, though it’s had an Aro and Avondale psu for years. If I was buying now, I’d definitely go WTA or Brinkmann if my wallet was deeper.

Interestingly I had a near identical deck both with Troikas, the other with an Ekos. The Ekos was excellent with superb bass but the Aro was simply more musical.

I can’t see the benefit in spending loads on my deck, would sooner spend money on vinyl and decent beer!

I've had my LP12 for 20 odd years, it's a bit Triggers broom but still all Linn. I may do a top plate mod or sub chassis but I am not sure I can bothered.

If I was starting again now I probably wouldn't even buy a TT it is only the legacy of buying records that makes a spinner needed.

I can go weeks without playing vinyl, perfectly happy with CD but always enjoy playing an actual record when I do. I always thought the cost of the Keel was a step too far & have stayed with that. I dont hate Linn or feel I have been conned.

Irrelevant, my point was the Aston/Golf comparison is flawed. If you'd ever driven an Aston for any length of time you'd know why!
The Aston might be flawed, but none of the flaws are fundamental issues and you can look past them in an instance. That's how I view my LP12.

Golf R - good car too but made of some ropey materials for a start, and ultimately boring.

Still, cars and record players are both places where I like to blow good money after bad so I shouldn't critique the comparison too much!

I listened to decks that sound like the Orbe - more detailed, more realistic, etc - but they've bored me to death. People like different stuff.

So have you listened to an Orbe or haven't you? Of course we all like different things and you are perfectly entitled to make your own choice, but 'boring' is not something I've ever heard in the same sentence as an Orbe before.

If you are so bored with music that you need it to be artificially enlivened ( PRAT maybe?) then perhaps you need different music, or different expectations.

The Aston might be flawed, but none of the flaws are fundamental issues and you can look past them in an instance. That's how I view my LP12.

Completely agree with you, the LP12 may not be to everyone's taste, but I owned one for 20 years and loved it.

Completely agree with you, the LP12 may not be to everyone's taste, but I owned one for 20 years and loved it.
These things seem to get a bad rap based on the name alone and a bit of jiggery-pokery in the 80s and 90s that appealed to the diehard fans. I own one and haven't bought into the mystique or the controversy at all.

These things seem to get a bad rap based on the name alone and a bit of jiggery-pokery in the 80s and 90s that appealed to the diehard fans. I own one and haven't bought into the mystique or the controversy at all.

To be honest I just played records on mine and loved the sound it produced. That was all there was to it. Yes it may be coloured or whatever, but who cares, to me it sounded great. I have a Gyrodec these days (long story), but I'd equally have an LP12 again no worries. I listened to a lot of other turntables back in the day and the LP12 always did it for me. Not that the likes of PT, Roksan, Rega etc. are bad at all... just different.

My recent best bang for money purchase was two new lid hinges from Linn for £21 plus postage.

Common sense must have prevailed in Glasgow at last, we’ll certainly on the cost of hinges anyway!

I’ve had my LP12 for 33 years and it has always been a pleasure to use. It’s a 1987 model so started as stock with a Valhalla, Ittok, K9. I’ve upgraded over the years, Troika, Ekos2, Lingo, Klyde, Cirkus, Greenstreet subchassis, Khan top plate and it’s been a wonderful journey. I really like the deck as it is right now and see nothing else down the road that I’d like to do with it other than maintenance.

Ergonomically I like the Ekos/armholder and the fact that it’s a suspended deck. I think I would have trashed a few cartridges if I had a different arrangement.

PS. I do think the Cirkus comes into its own when partnered with a better subchassis than the original stock steel.

I'll have try one some day so I'm interested in opinions myself.

Probably lots of people here who've been up the ladder and maybe down it again.

What's the sweet spot?

Buy a Pink Triangle PT1 and then you can come on these LP12 threads and lord it over everyone in the knowledge you have a much superior TT

(seriously buy a PT1 instead)

Buy a Pink Triangle PT1 and then you can come on these LP12 threads and lord it over everyone in the knowledge you have a much superior TT

It didn’t ever had the build quality of the Linn though. Ditto the Xerxes which was the other obvious competitor at the time.

Good to see your still spouting the same old
rubbish as ever when it comes to Linn LP12 questions that you've posted for years.

Can we just have a sticky topic where everyone can come on the forum and slag off Linn, Naim, LP12s, Kans, etc. whenever they're bored?

At least then when someone posts to say they like the sound of an LP12 and rasies a genuine question, then they don't have to endure 10+ people telling them its sh1te.

Or would that just not be as much fun for you all? ;)

Can we just have a sticky topic where everyone can come on the forum and slag off Linn, Naim, LP12s, Kans, etc. whenever they're bored?

At least then when someone posts to say they like the sound of an LP12 and rasies a genuine question, then they don't have to endure 10+ people telling them its sh1te.

Or would that just not be as much fun for you all? ;)

Oh course Charlie. PFM is here for those who like a good bitch at times. Thankfully there are enough positive people here not to ruin it.

advertisement

Back