advertisement

Listening techniques to evaluate high-end hi-fi systems

Mistah Ribee,

You are truly a gem, much like the stylus on the end of a boron cantilever.

Joe

^ +1 :)

No point in me posting comment in this thread as OP has put moi on ignore.

As a retired Hi-Fi seller I have a bit to say, 2 bored Hi-Fi salesmen 1 punter with some rega kit, possible fun to be had!!

How many hours did OP waste at the demo?

LOLs

The mark 1 ear, personal issue, in conjunction with brain and preference, is generally the best method.

Should prove to be 100% accurate for any one person at any one time and guaranteed not to lead to widespread consensus.

Toe tapping strengthens the muscles that flex the foot, particularly the tibialis anterior. These muscles, which are located on the shin, help with walking, as they maneuver the foot so it can clear the ground.

Because of this, toe tapping benefits elderly individuals by reducing the risk of falls. Toe tapping is also used as both a treatment and as a preventive measure for shin splints.

This exercise is well suited for people who suffer from shin splints or who engage in activities such as running and dancing that have a high incidence of shin splints.

There is also some additional calorie burn in comparison with sitting still - the actual amount dependent of course on the size of your middle aged audiophile belly.

So there are positives to taking the vendor's advice. Just maybe not the ones that immediately spring to mind.

The Daily Mail [23/12/2013] : Toe Tapping gives you cancer

The Daily Mail [14/11/2013] : Hungarian Immigrants will use up our EU Toe Tapping allowance with "ethnic dancing" condemning UK couch potatoes to obesity death (and they smell of Paprika)

Preparation
Fast for at least 24 hours.

Then take a long hot shower followed by a cold plunge bath. Wrap yourself in warm towels. As the heat starts to dissipate, shave your whole body. Head, chest, pits, toes, back, sac, crack and nose. Then bathe again with lemon oil and lotus blossom.

Readiness
Out with the yoga mat, sandalwood candle and frankincense. Turn you system on - then assuming the first prone posture, meditate on the flame for at least an hour.

Summon three concubines and cleanse your mind of lustful thoughts through the freedom of orgasm.

Don the saffron robe and finger cymbals.

Begin
Start with something simple, like a solo piano, violin or cello piece. As each note or chord is played, stop half way through - sound the finger symbols and imagine how the second half of the note or chord should sound. Then un-pause and match the actual sound to your expectation.

It is always the expectation that is correct. When actuality equates with expectation then nirvana is reached.

Mastery
Over time you will be able to do this with more complex types of music. You may need longer fasting, bathing and additional concubines to start with.

The great masters can achieve one-ness without the preparation and by simply tapping their feet along with the tune - but this takes years of dedication to truly comprehend. If you meet anyone who can "tune-dem" at will, simply bow down before these great masters and believe everything that they say.

If a master requests, give them your wallet. And they may need your wife as an additional concubine.

Next Steps
Buy my book.

This is how I am doing it from now on.

I would be interested to know what your unbroken system consists of.

Sure. Currently my system is made up of a Devialet 170 and a pair of ProAc Response D28. It's the nearest I can get at this time to the best system I've ever heard (Futterman OTL amps into stacked Quad 57s, which I heard once in New York years ago) without things blowing up and me needing to knock down a wall or three.

I tried JR's excellent advice and all was going well until I tried to cue the record while wearing the finger cymbals. After that it all went rather expensively pear shaped. Be warned.
Yeah, but to be fair the concubines make it worth wrecking a few records. Just save the Blue Note originals for later.

EDIT:Now what does that really mean? For someone on minimum wage that could mean £1K or less. EDIT'

Cheers,

DV

Many of the people I know would have great difficulty with the concept of paying £1k for anything to do with music reproduction.

Mull

Also - my tuppence on trying to trip up a system into revealing its weaknesses is to play:-

a) some well-recorded solo piano &

b) some choral music.

a) shows up transient ability, tonal purity (horn 'speakers often fall on their arse here . . .) , the sense of the recorded acousic and the purity of the notes decay.
And b) is a bugger to reproduce without the massed voices 'hardening' as IM distortion shows up, mostly from the 'speakers drive units playing up, crossover nasties or sometimes the amp running out of puff.

However, if, like me, your music collection doesn't contain either, it's a pointless test.

I'll refer back to an earlier post - only take the music you like and are used to and the gear makes you smile, tap your foot or gives you a new insight into the music or whatever, buy it. Otherwise, walk.

Senator Palpatine,

Currently my system is made up of a Devialet 170 and a pair of ProAc Response D28.
If there's anything Disbeliever loves it's a Devialet-based system. Expect him to pee his pants when he sees this.

Joe

Also - my tuppence on trying to trip up a system into revealing its weaknesses is to play:-

a) some well-recorded solo piano

Can I suggest an excellent LP of solo piano - Beethoven's "Appassionata" by Ikuyo Kamiya, RCA RDCE-4 - which (bcoz of its tremendous scale runs) will show whether your speaker XOs are doing a good job or not. (You shouldn't be able to tell when one driver is handing over the scale to the next! ;) )

Regards,

Andy

Yeah, but to be fair the concubines make it worth wrecking a few records. Just save the Blue Note originals for later.

I was wondering about the supply of concubines. Presumably JR has to keep crossing the river to visit Scunthope or Grimsby in order to find fresh ones?

(Shudders) I've been to Grimsby. You wouldn't want your concubines from there.
I suspect that JR is taking the safe option and shipping in cheaper, reliable ones from Eastern Europe. These will suffice for the slightly more affordable systems and allow him to keep the native East Yorkshire stock for the true high-end, bespoke systems.

I had a very similar experience with active Isobariks in 1985 at Tonbridge. But this thread isn't about any particular brand.

But it's interesting in light of the HFN review of the new Linn Akubariks - a snip at £16K :eek:

I was amazed that these were showing 1% distortion even at very moderate levels in the midrange. The sort of replay levels below where an ATC really comes on song.

Listening at elevated levels would undoubtedly lead to audible distortion with this so called "high end" product.

Me thinks Linn really is more of a modern day Bang and Olufsen than a leading edge audio company.

Sure. Currently my system is made up of a Devialet 170 and a pair of ProAc Response D28. It's the nearest I can get at this time to the best system I've ever heard (Futterman OTL amps into stacked Quad 57s, which I heard once in New York years ago) without things blowing up and me needing to knock down a wall or three.

Thanks : long ago found Quad 57 to be unlistenable for me due to their beaming effect that most seem not to notice. Devialet 170 auditioned at Home, preferred my Class AB amp. may try to get a demo of the ProAc 28 although I am happy with my Aurousals that have the best version drivers unfortunately not reviewed.

But it's interesting in light of the HFN review of the new Linn Akubariks - a snip at £16K :eek:

I was amazed that these were showing 1% distortion even at very moderate levels in the midrange. The sort of replay levels below where an ATC really comes on song.

Listening at elevated levels would undoubtedly lead to audible distortion with this so called "high end" product.

Me thinks Linn really is more of a modern day Bang and Olufsen than a leading edge audio company.

Try listening to a pair, they sound great to me. I haven't bothered reading the review because they are pointless. I have lost count of the amount of times a reviewer has raved about a product that turned out to be sh!t and vice versa.

advertisement

Back