advertisement

Listening techniques to evaluate high-end hi-fi systems

So, how should one listen?

What an unbelievable thing for the dealer to have said.

1. Decide what room you want he music to be played in.

2. Use a dealer who has a listening room that is similar to your own.

3. Try stuff at dealers.

4. Try stuff in your home.

5. Make your own decision.

So.

If dealer comes on as being a clever person and they haven't asked anything about your listening room they are talking bollocks.

If they won't loan you stuff they are to be avoided.

If they pressurise you to buy particular kit then they are also idiots unless they understand how you are going to listen to the music.

Most of the above relates to speakers as most reasonable gear should be able to amplify the source properly.

I do think the whole question of 'listening techniques' is an interesting one though and I have certainly encountered audio enthusiasts listening in a number of very different, and yet structured, ways.

I think many 'music lovers' as opposed to 'audio enthusiasts' listen to the music from a more distant perspective, the equivalent of standing back from the painting and observing the broad strokes, balances and structure - occasionally dipping in to specific elements for closer inspection. On the other hand, aficionados of hi-fi often focus on a specific aspect (or limited number of qualities) and many times this is at the expense of the whole.

The other classic fault that audiophiles commit is to have a very limited range of music they use for evaluation -often I found this to be a single album, or even a small section of a specific track.

You make a good point as I have to confess to using a limited range/pieces of music to evaluate hifi. But to be fair this is often how we audiophiles differentiate specific (alleged) improvements.

I have found that Linn dealers in particular adopt some of these condescending techniques - and I'm a Linn owner. One such dealer tried to convince me that a particular £500-600 cartridge was significantly better than my DV20X - it was barely noticeable. But to be balanced another dealer showed me the benefits of interconnect improvements at very modest cost over buying a better CD player (which I was expecting to shell out for)

Interestingly though, I am finding over time that I can be quite satisfied with music in other people's homes with simple one-box systems. The point about the overall sound being pleasant rather than picking apart the individual elements is becoming ever more compelling and for 2 of my systems (kitchen and bedroom) I've now downsized from separates to a decent one-box and they are very satisfactory to my ears.

As we've seen from the breakdown of Teardrop (something we often use in audition ourselves), it's important to know the recording inside out before accusing the kit of distortion when, in fact, it may be revealing previously inaudible - maybe unwelcome - truths.

On the other hand, if such a distortion manifested across a range of recordings, then the dealer was obviously a tool. Most are.

On the other hand (I have three), from the dealer's perspective, he will definitely have heard a dozen people that week confidently airing nonsensical opinions about what is 'wrong' with that particular system. Shows are particularly interesting: any given system will contrarily be damned by a sequence of visitors as 'too analytical', 'too toppy', 'too laid back', 'coloured', 'rolled off', unnatural', 'warmed up', etc. There's no accounting for taste: what happens in each listener's head remains a mystery.

The exhortation 'just trust your ears' is about as helpful as 'breathe only air'. What's the alternative?

The exhortation 'just trust your ears' is about as helpful as 'breathe only air'. What's the alternative?

Trusting your eyes? Or your preconceived notions? Or some audiophile magazine hack? Or maybe some random people on the internet? :)

advertisement

Back