advertisement

Lake District - Fell Walking

There's rather more discussion of eating than walking here. I wouldn't bother with the Lakes if you are a foodie, although there is the odd good place, e.g. the Drunken Duck near Ambleside. I merely tolerate the food in Keswick.

Incidentally, I've never experienced rudeness in The Bridge Hotel, Buttermere. I always find it ideal for a pint after the Red Pike/High Stile ridge.

Picking up on the pub theme, for good pub grub, we like The Kirkstile Inn, Loweswater, Coledale Inn, Braithwaite, The George Hotel, Keswick (the half gigantic George Cow pie is a serious undertaking, the full is a marathon experience!). The Farmers Arms in Portinscale used to be good but haven't been for many years and it's changed hands a few times since then. The Pheasant on the Crosthwaite Road, Keswick is fine too. None of these are high end eating, but good pub grub which is just the ticket after a long walk! If you're down anywhere near Broughton Mills try the Blacksmiths Arms too. Santon Bridge Inn, Santon Bridge near Wast Water is also good.

Have you tried The Pheasant Inn (Bassenthwaite)? The food and beer has been great each time I've been in there.

And the Yates in the Old Dungeon Hotel has always been like drinking angels tears to me.... :)

No but will bear that in mind.

Walking and pubs - go hand in hand?

There's rather more discussion of eating than walking here. I wouldn't bother with the Lakes if you are a foodie, although there is the odd good place, e.g. the Drunken Duck near Ambleside.
Oh yes, I spent a happy late morning/afternoon/evening in there with a bunch
of mates, sampling the beers from their microbrewery. Excellent fish 'n chips from what I can recall.

Walking and pubs - go hand in hand?

Clearly more of the latter for pinkfishers. But since we're on the subject, here is a classic Cumbrian ale (on the right):

IMG_2298.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

(actually I'm cheating as the photo was taken in Leeds)

Which pub is that, can you remember? It could be loads, but I'll guess Arcadia in Headingley.

There's nothing wrong with having a pint after a bit of healthy exercise. either. Too many, not such a great idea, but get the balance right and life's not bad at all.

Yes, indeed, it's Arcadia. I'm really missing their beer, especially my favourite 'Beyond the Pale' since a) I'm in London, and b) I'm coeliac, and condemned to an eternity of gluten free ale.

(Fortunately, those clever Mancs at the 'First Chop' Brewery are brewing some excellent gf Ale, but I can't imagine I'll be seeing this on tap, and I don't know what I'm going to do in the Lakes for a drink.)

Yeah, back to the Lakes at weekend, just re-reading the thread before planning some walking :)

Got it wrong about ‘flipping’ Poland - Gdansk was superb place for a weekend break.

Allendale do a great gluten free handpull. Lots of the regulars in my local drink it out of choice as I do.

We've a holiday home in The Lakes so spend lots of time there. I've personally got a soft spot for the Newlands Valley & surrounding peaks

Two days walking in beautiful Newlands last week, on each occasion starting at Little Town, superb location - one highlight for me being the approach to High Spy.

Tuesday headed for Robinson and applied sun cream as we set off, however when we reached the summit it was blowing a gale and beginning to rain, heading for Dale Head it was obvious the best option was to head down via Hindsgarth and Scope End as the weather was atrocious - I had my Paramo coat but on no waterproof pants and by the time I got back to the car my new boots were full off water which had soaked into my socks from my waterlogged Craghopper trousers and I was also wet up to my armpits (not coming through the coat but up from my waist - just awful).

By Thursday I had just about dried my boots and we did Cat Bells, Maiden Moor, High Spy, Dale Head, Hindscarth - dry, but seriously windy on the tops (which I really don’t like due to mild vertigo) - great walk.

Friday was my Birthday, we popped into the Wetherspoons in Keswick but it was a bit hammered (half term?) so my wife drove and I was treated to a visit to the Kirkstile Inn for a few pints with a drive home in the evening sunshine via Crummock Water, Buttermere and back over Honister Pass, happy days :)

We were there last week too Gerard. Had a wet walk on Thursday morning but the rest of the time the weather was fab. My new hip doesn't like going uphill too much at the moment (and for some reason I've found it difficult to locate downhill only walks) so it was low-level wanders around Derwentwater. Keswick was heaving as usual when the schools are on holiday, plus the beer festival was on, which is why we always set off very early in the morning for a walk & hardly see a soul.

we always set off very early in the morning for a walk & hardly see a soul.
The alternative approach at this time of year is to start walking uphill at about 4pm, as everyone else is coming off. By 6 you have the place to yourself and the solitary meal stop is a joy. I've even been known to pack a stove and knock up some simple food. Back down as light fades in time for a pint.

"good news"? wow, just shows you how people's opinions can be different. i'd see that as the kiss of death, another nail in the coffin for the lakes. i'm only thankful that nowhere up here has been 'awarded' anything similar. look out for another raft of tourist promotions and the visitor centres, hotels, b&bs, cafes, shops and all the infrastructure developments that these require...roads, housing...increased sewerage facilities...the poor old lakes are already groaning under the weight of tourism. nothing properly wild or pristine left there at all.

"good news"? wow, just shows you how people's opinions can be different. i'd see that as the kiss of death, another nail in the coffin for the lakes. i'm only thankful that nowhere up here has been 'awarded' anything similar. look out for another raft of tourist promotions and the visitor centres, hotels, b&bs, cafes, shops and all the infrastructure developments that these require...roads, housing...increased sewerage facilities...the poor old lakes are already groaning under the weight of tourism. nothing properly wild or pristine left there at all.

I kind of agree and yet it is true that 500 metres from a road it is largely as it was.

oh , i see your point , they clearly have put a lot of effort in getting this award

i wonder what this really means

"What we really hope is it will act as an economic driver and will grow the value, not the volume, of tourism by giving people more... reasons to make day visits and sustained visits."

advertisement

Back