advertisement

Lake District - Fell Walking

The bit of the country that we completely binned was West Penwith (Cornwall). If ever a place needed the protection of a national park that did. It was a magical place, now I don't want to go there. Although again if you get away from the roads it still has a bit of magic left but it's going fast.

these places need complete protection from us humans, not exploitation for greed and profit which is what these 'developments' are ultimately for. john muir had the right approach imho.

I kind of agree and yet it is true that 500 metres from a road it is largely as it was.
Yes, you've only got to go a short distance away from the honeypot places and you can have a very tranquil time of it.

Yes, you've only got to go a short distance away from the honeypot places and you can have a very tranquil time of it.

i guess it depends on your baseline. i have friends in camden who think that hampstead heath offers the chance to get away from it all. i find it to be hell on earth. similarly the lakes. i was last there about 3 years ago and hope that i never have to go back. horses for courses i guess :)

i guess it depends on your baseline. i have friends in camden who think that hampstead heath offers the chance to get away from it all. i find it to be hell on earth. similarly the lakes. i was last there about 3 years ago and hope that i never have to go back. horses for courses i guess :)
My baseline's rural Suffolk. We've a holiday home in Keswick and we've been up there most months for the last nine years or so. Believe me, there are plenty of wild, lonely places you can get to with ease if you know where to go. It remains a place of great beauty.

Landranger paper maps - next time I go I'll also have them on my phone (OS Maps app)

Great Gable_01 by Ian123running, on Flickr

This was a few years ago from Great Gable - one of my wife's first Lake District walks. She was a bit tired to fully enjoy the spectacle of walking right through the clouds.

Landranger paper maps - next time I go I'll also have them on my phone (OS Maps app)

Great Gable_01 by Ian123running, on Flickr

This was a few years ago from Great Gable - one of my wife's first Lake District walks. She was a bit tired to fully enjoy the spectacle of walking right through the clouds.

Lovely shot. Times like these can be better than clear days. Kirk Fell in the middle distance, with Pillar being the highest in the background. A lovely quiet walk up Pillar is on the climbers path on the far side of the photo.

Well my baseline is a kind of combination between the Eden Valley (where I live) and Coll (where I spend a lot of time). Now there are places I would never go to in the Lakes except on a wet Tuesday in February like Ambleside and Windermere but don't rule it out. If you are not car bound and a little canny 'getting away from it all' is there in plenty.

It's like judging Scotland on Loch Lomond.

Well my baseline is a kind of combination between the Eden Valley (where I live) and Coll (where I spend a lot of time). Now there are places I would never go to in the Lakes except on a wet Tuesday in February like Ambleside and Windermere but don't rule it out. If you are not car bound and a little canny 'getting away from it all' is there in plenty.

It's like judging Scotland on Loch Lomond.

now coll is a place i haven't been to but wouldn't mind visiting, that and tiree. i've spent the last 40+ years climbing and walking, here in the highlands and in the alps and pyrenees. and though i don't climb as much these days, i'm still walking in the mountains most weekends. was up in torridon and the fisherfields recently with girlie. walked and climbed there, the northern corries in the cairngorms for winter climbing, north west highlands, glencoe, nevis, meagaidh, the cuillin...even the arrochar alps(!). i think that whatever you like is fine and i'm happy that folks like the lakes. they're just not for me :)

I can understand that and I guess If I lived in Glasgow I'd go north rather than south myself.

We've a holiday home in The Lakes so spend lots of time there. I've personally got a soft spot for the Newlands Valley & surrounding peaks, but, let's face it, everywhere there's pretty special. Agree with you Dave, back O' Skiddaw's invariably deserted & there's some lovely walking to be had there.

Better late than never, we finally got to visit back O' Skiddaw last weekend!

We did Carrack Fell & High Peak horseshoe - what a lovely spot, hardly anyone about for miles on end, we both really enjoyed the hike. Even managed to finish off with a couple of pints at The Mill Inn in Mungrisdale - happy days.

Looking forward to further exploring in the area.

https://www.walklakes.co.uk/walk_38.html

I was up there myself last weekend Gerard. Weather wasn't too bad, was it? Bit chilly first thing. I'm glad you enjoyed Back O'Skiddaw, it's got a really wild character about it. I left the dogs & wife at home in Suffolk so I could have a few days of peace & quiet. Didn't stray far from Keswick in the end.

I love the lakes, can't wait to get back in November if all goes well.
188292560_2581319912170934_8019856430070575087_n.jpg

187381657_2581319702170955_5578355134339853347_n.jpg

Better late than never, we finally got to visit back O' Skiddaw last weekend!

We did Carrack Fell & High Peak horseshoe - what a lovely spot, hardly anyone about for miles on end, we both really enjoyed the hike. Even managed to finish off with a couple of pints at The Mill Inn in Mungrisdale - happy days.

Looking forward to further exploring in the area.

https://www.walklakes.co.uk/walk_38.html
Shhh, keep your voice down! You need to keep up the pretence that the only bits of the Lakes worth visiting are Catbells and the area round Windermere, so the hordes go there and you can concentrate on the bits where you get it to yourself. By all means go to Patterdale, but head east from there. Now keep that to yourself; schtum, right?

North lakes my fave, buttermere and skiddaw, John peels grave..
The new revised Wainwright books are great

I love the lakes, can't wait to get back in November if all goes well.
188292560_2581319912170934_8019856430070575087_n.jpg

187381657_2581319702170955_5578355134339853347_n.jpg
During the big 2009 floods, the water was up to the top of the boathouse's roof! It got flooded again during Storm Desmond in 2015 & they've only just finished renovating it again. You can book it to stay in.

During the big 2009 floods, the water was up to the top of the boathouse's roof! It got flooded again during Storm Desmond in 2015 & they've only just finished renovating it again. You can book it to stay in.
That is a shame, I have been going there nearly every year since I was 10yrs old, now the last odd few years not managed to go, I always wanted to live there but at nearly 70 it is to late.

Superb pics Colin!
Done with a Zenith E when I was younger ( lot younger) the camera was given to me by my boss at Godfrey Photographic in Basildon when it was my 17th birthday, my daughter now has it, Gareth Wonfor my cousin check his photos out they are just amazing. Or the last century George Wonfor of New York his work with old black and white glass framed photos are stunning, this photo is a lucky shot.

advertisement

Back