advertisement

Lake District - Fell Walking

Gerard124

pfm Member
What are the best Lake District Fell Walking Websites?

Having just got set up with a static caravan in Lakes (after a 2 year break, we had one 2005 - 2015) - I'm setting out to do the Wainwright's (just over 20 completed to date) and just wondering which sites are the best reference?

I would like to plan, catalogue our walks etc (over weekend had a play with www.walkhighlands.co.uk to log completed fells).

I have full set of OS maps (just subscribed to OS maps online service - absolute bargain at £20 a year), all of Mark Richard's Lakeland Fell Ranger books and several of the Chris Jesty Second Edition Wainwright pictorial guides.

Yesterday from Martingdale we did - Beda Fell, Angletarn Pike, Brock Crag, The Nab, I'd rate this as one of the best walks we have ever done in't Lakes.

Also this week we have bagged Blencathra, Causey Pike & Scar Crags.

You can join the Wainwright Society to meet like minded souls who will know the most interesting routes up stuff. What's your favourite valley to date? I like the area north of Buttermere, and the southern end of Borrowdale.

What's your favourite valley to date?

Wasdale, touches a nerve - can't explain it, it all starts when I see the Wastwater Screes - kills me every time I visit - an ancient landscape which (without being morbid) reminds me of our own mortality.

Bannerdale was pretty good Saturday too.

Langdale valley is my fave - enjoy the walking!

Great spot, we visited Langdale area late January (Elterwater) and February of 2017, 2nd time we stayed at Millbeck Farm as featured in the BBC program - The Lake District: A Wild Year - this came as quite a surprise as the program was broadcast the weeknend we visited.

We found The Britannia inn at Elterwater to be a cracking pub for a pint (or more) after a long walk!

Great spot, we visited Langdale area late January (Elterwater) and February of 2017, 2nd time we stayed at Millbeck Farm as featured in the BBC program - The Lake District: A Wild Year - this came as quite a surprise as the program was broadcast the weeknend we visited.

We found The Britannia inn at Elterwater to be a cracking pub for a pint (or more) after a long walk!

We were in the Lakes at half term though the pub was busy and sadly it was a very wet day. The walk from New Dungeon Ghyl Hotel to Eltwater is delightful.

Here's. pic from half term - Halls Fell on Blencathra.

IMG_2251.JPG

You seem to have all the bases covered with your maps and books. Have a Google, there's a lot of websites out there covering walking route sin the Lakes. This one looks pretty good to me: https://www.walkingenglishman.com/lakes.htm

I relocated to Cumbria in the late 90's at the ripe 'young' age of 32 so I could spend more time in the hills. There's a real joy in browsing over a map or two and guide books to find new routes. Escape the crowds on a Bank Holiday? Have a mooch round the 'Back O' Skiddaw' via Burn Tod: Knott, (detour via Little & Great Calva), Great Sca Fell, Meall fell, Great & Little Cockup. But keep it to yourselves!

We've a holiday home in The Lakes so spend lots of time there. I've personally got a soft spot for the Newlands Valley & surrounding peaks, but, let's face it, everywhere there's pretty special. Agree with you Dave, back O' Skiddaw's invariably deserted & there's some lovely walking to be had there.

Wasdale Head / Wast Water. Amazing drive and the view as it is revealed is dramatic. Great Gable is fun.

I love the Lakeland Fells. I completed 'The Wainwrights' in 2010 on Yewbarrow. I'm now 20 off my second round, and since recording them I've climbed about 800 in total.

In 2012 I suffered a knee injury, subsequent operation, which unknown to me gave me a DVT and went on to give me a Pulmonary Embolism. Nearly killed me and I lost a chunk of lung. Through the recovery, it was the thought of getting back onto the fells that drove my recovery. There is something very special about the Lake District that gets under your skin.

Living near J15 of the M6 I leave at 5:30 and usually can have my boots on by 8:00.

A few years ago I took up wild camping and have spent the night on Brock Crags, Kirk Fell, Mardale Ill Bell, High Stile, Hopegill Head to name but a few.

In my opinion the best site for route ideas is David Hall's excellent site:-

http://www.walkthefells.net

These are my footsteps off Place Fell less than four weeks ago:-

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-q...-e50GAK27Rc0lkuUAiOwCHM/s2048-no/L1010355.JPG

I love blencathra, one of my favourite fell running routes. Sharp Edge is still on the to do list, oddly.

Sharp Edge is the only route Chris Jesty did not complete when walking the Wainwright's for the second edition pictorial guides! It's definitely on my avoid list - I'm not going anywhere near it having watched Stuart Maconie going up it on Life of a Mountain: A Year on Blencathra.

You are lucky you can. Thanks to the US fascist government you can't do that in Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos, thanks to the imperialist land mines that abound. Then again, why would you want to walk through agent orange landscapes where suffering continues on a daily basis and the good ole US government contributes zero to the cost of living with the atrocities they committed.

You are lucky you can. Thanks to the US fascist government you can't do that in Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos, thanks to the imperialist land mines that abound. Then again, why would you want to walk through agent orange landscapes where suffering continues on a daily basis and the good ole US government contributes zero to the cost of living with the atrocities they committed.
Well, My mate got attacked by a herdwick sheep on the the top of Catbells whilst trying to eat a sandwich. How more dreadful can you get than that? Evil lurks round every corner in The Lakes.

advertisement

Back