advertisement

Labour Leader: Keir Starmer IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Social Justice Warriors, but Tory:

Deportation: good

Insensitive use of the term “deportation”: unforgivable
I like your short, snappy responses Sean.
Far easier for the alt right, evil Tories and EDL to understand.

It’s definitely worth the price of the popcorn to read some of the rubbish on this thread. So it’s not just the EDL, alt right, Tory scum etc etc who come out with these types of racist comments. Yet you lot try to justify what some dickhead trade unionist said about deporting a BAME politician.

It’s also worth the price of popcorn to watch right wingers who are usually pretty damn insensitive to racial comments, Boris….., suddenly become so sensitive, it’s quite remarkable.

I think that’s a tenuous response but certainly one used by local politicians who opposed the police action.

Hardly tenuous considering the scale of the protest, but anyway, it wasn’t a police action. According to Reuters it was British Immigration Officials who detained the two men on ‘suspicion’ and Scottish police who later released them, so however you look at it, the action by the Home Office was unnecessary and provocative.

On another issue I have to ask about is your ‘dickhead trade unionist’ comment. As someone who was a trade union activist until quite recently, does my past activity also make me a dickhead?

Hardly tenuous considering the scale of the protest, but anyway, it wasn’t a police action. According to Reuters it was British Immigration Officials who detained the two men on ‘suspicion’ and Scottish police who later released them, so however you look at it, the action by the Home Office was unnecessary and provocative.

On another issue I have to ask about your ‘dickhead trade unionist’ comment. As someone who was a trade union activist until quite recently, does my past activity also make me a dickhead?
Thanks for that.
With regard to my dickhead comment, you couldn’t be more wrong. Had I have called Chris Witty a dickhead, I wouldn’t have been referring to all doctors as dickheads!

Thanks for that.
With regard to my dickhead comment, you couldn’t be more wrong. Had I have called Chris Witty a dickhead, I wouldn’t have been referring to all doctors as dickheads!
But if Witty had made a dickhead comment, it would be the comment, not his profession that was at fault. If you say ‘Witty’s comment was dickheadish’, that is saying something specific to the comment and the individual. If I say ‘Witty’s comment was typical of dickhead doctors’ that is also saying something about my opinion of doctors in general?

But if Witty had made a dickhead comment, it would be the comment, not his profession that was at fault. If you say ‘Witty’s comment was dickheadish’, that is saying something specific to the comment and the individual. If I say ‘Witty’s comment was typical of dickhead doctors’ that is also saying something about my opinion of doctors in general?
I suppose it depends which side of bed you’ve got out of, and whether you easily take offence. I was a member of a trade union, as was my wife. They’re not my favourite organisations and trade unionists in general are not on my wavelength, but I’m sure there are some good ones around. Bit like doctors really.

I suppose it depends which side of bed you’ve got out of, and whether you easily take offence. I was a member of a trade union, as was my wife. They’re not my favourite organisations and trade unionists in general are not on my wavelength, but I’m sure there are some good ones around. Bit like doctors really.
Thank you for clarifying. Sensitivity is certainly part of the problem, but then I’d have a small bet that I’ve received more dickhead comments for being a trade unionist than any doctor has for being a doctor. I’ve also received comments for being a total dickhead, but that’s different

The fact remains that man going for high position within politics who is also on the opposition’s organising committee didn’t pause to think before posting something whiffy on Twitter. I’d therefore question that persons suitability for high office, and quite rightly back the Labour Party for saying ‘oi, post whiffy stuff on social media we’ll suspend you, we don’t want our officials doing that stuff’. Seriously are these people so stupid as to not read back and consider what they have written before posting?

Unless you are well-trained, well-rehearsed, managed and media-savvy, you will drop a b*llock in the public arena. What matters is not whether he should have thought that his tweet has echoes of NF's "***s go home" (god knows it's difficult to keep up with changes to language and semantics that seems to occurs daily) but what he does now. If he has apologized for an honest mistake, he should be censured for that but not lose his position over it.

That means people have to be a bit more forgiving than they seem to be (and accept we all make mistakes). And if we do, we should extend the same tolerance to people of all political persuasions *if* they make a genuine mistake.

I think for some of us who grew up in the 80s it resonates of the National Front and ‘send them home’. I find it hard to believe that someone aiming for high office would post something inflammatory on social media and not pause to think it through. It suggests they’re not ready for high office. If Boris had posted ‘Sadiq Khan should be deported’ there would be massive howls of racism. Whether you like/dislike the protagonists it’s not acceptable. I personally find it hard to believe that some people are happy to justify his behaviour as an unfortunate error. It was crass stupidity pure and simple in my opinion.

Agreed, it was a crass error, probably done in a hothead moment without consideration.

Have you forgotten Boris' "watermelon smiles," "piccaninnies," "letter boxes," "tank-top bum boys?" Let alone the institutional racism within his party. His stupidity is ignored, forgiven or encouraged by the media. Hell, it's an electoral advantage for the evil sods and tories everywhere, including here don't give a damn.

Well, ultimately not a hill I can be bothered dying on - guy should have read it back to himself a couple of times. But again, if the consequences for anyone left of Blair of saying something whiffy is expulsion from public life, and the consequences for the right of pursuing actual racist policies and saying deliberately racist things is zero, then change is going to be a long time coming.

Anyway, onwards and upwards: Starmer’s online rally today attracted more than 50 (fifty) people, and yielded some catchy slogans:

https://twitter.com/poltheoryother/status/1393893965041131522?s=21

I did feel sorry for, potential Labour Leader, Lisa Nandy on Question Time. The opening question "what is the point of the Labour Party" met with a "remember how the NHS and the welfare state started" .

Not many people have memories that long or, were even around then.
Unfortunately.

Life expectancy 1950s about 65 years.

Life expectancy 2018 about 81 years.

That must be despite the Tory attempted destruction of the health service.

Life expectancy 1950s about 65 years.

Life expectancy 2018 about 81 years.

That must be despite the Tory attempted destruction of the health service.
Well, what’s happened since 2011 is interesting; also what’s happened to the life expectancy of the least deprived as opposed to the most.

https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/publications/whats-happening-life-expectancy-england

Life expectancy is a big ship to turn around, but we’re getting there!

More to it than just running down the NHS of course. There are other ways to cull the poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back