advertisement

Jerry Sadowitz cancelled

Props for looking at the whole Twitter/Musk thing and saying, "See! The market works!"

I’d certainly take that over allowing David Blunkett, Nadine Dorries, Suella Braverman or whoever to dictate the parameters of platforms or venues. Screw that! It never ceases to amaze me just how authoritarian the Labour left are when it really comes to it. Just tankies at heart. This is a reason I can never vote for that mindset. I believe way to much in freedom of thought and individuality. e.g. I’ll build my own platform, you do you.

Yoo! I’m ok. Life hit me a few spitballs: Mischa our dog died of multiple age related neuropathies after fighting cancer and a leg amputation. I developed degenerative hearing loss… now profoundly deaf. I go non-vocal/mute for months, the whole TERF island thing got spicy. So I expatriated, before a closing of the jaws. The UK feels very unwell. I can live better elsewhere.

Now In a loving polycule… making a family, falling in love. Learning deaf culture and to sign & lip read. Otherwise just yet another terminally online trans girl/deaf-punk/furry/anarchist/infosec/wirehead nerd being gay doing my silly little crimes. Being a furry is super fun. Irredeemably, unashamedly, obnoxiously cringe & ratio. I’ve lost a lot but I belong somewhere now — and I’m home.

Taken yesterday morning but its still fresh. Meet Shimi, the Hyaena Mom.
Welcome back Claire and congratulations on going somewhere better. That looks like a eucalypt behind you, are you now in the Antipodes?

I’d certainly take that over allowing David Blunkett, Nadine Dorries, Suella Braverman or whoever to dictate the parameters of platforms or venues. Screw that! It never ceases to amaze me just how authoritarian the Labour left are when it really comes to it. Just tankies at heart. This is a reason I can never vote for that mindset. I believe way to much in freedom of thought and individuality. e.g. I’ll build my own platform, you do you.
Other options are available.

Those aren't the only options, are they. Would you take untrammelled control by billionaires over, say, the mix of public and private ownership that still characterises British broadcasting? Or private/public funding for the arts? Or the reformed broadcasting system put forward by the actual Labour left, and not your Daily Mail version, when it proposed ways of making the BBC genuinely independent of government?

Those aren't the only options, are they. Would you take untrammelled control by billionaires over, say, the mix of public and private ownership that still characterises British broadcasting? Or private/public funding for the arts? Or the reformed broadcasting system put forward by the actual Labour left, and not your Daily Mail version, when it proposed ways of making the BBC genuinely independent of government?

I’m clearly not arguing for billionaire control, not even slightly. I’m an independent small business owner who has created my own platform and I’m arguing others do the same with as little authoritarian state interference as possible. I’m certainly not going to attack people for good ideas or success.

My post on Musk upthread stands. I absolutely detest the guy. Much to my amusement he has proven beyond any doubt that no platform is too big or seemingly powerful to fail. Also worth noting Musk had absolutely no part in creating Twitter, he clearly doesn’t understand what made it good, and as a result it is dying. I suspect Facebook is on very shaky ground at present too (though that one is on Zuckerberg). The distributed ‘fediverse’ model is gaining huge traction at present and that is great from my perspective as it throws things even further away from petty national authoritarians such as May, Braverman, Blunkett, Starmer etc as well as providing a genuinely viable alternative to Musk, Zuckerberg etc. It is all good.

The problem with the BBC is it is funded by taxation, claims to be impartial, and clearly isn’t. As for the far-right printed press I believe in holding them to legal account and trying to deter their advertisers via StopFundingHate, boycotts etc, i.e. a grass-roots-up response. Real reform or accountability will never come from Labour, and the Tories very actively stand in the way.

A day or two late but welcome back, Claire. Daughter still using the eternally powerful Borg Cube! I’m so sorry to hear about the hearing loss. Are you still able to create? I can think of a famous forerunner who managed it. LLAP.

advertisement

Back