advertisement

Jerry Sadowitz cancelled

I seem to remember Claire left after finding some posts on here toxic.

Some certainly were. This is my site and I was slow to act. I take 100% responsibility for that and I apologise. I was always on the right side of the argument as I recognised the transphobia as exactly what it was and was never for a second suckered-in by pseudo-academic alt-right shit like Jordan Peterson, but I let threads run for far too long thinking that fighting these arguments logically and compassionately was the best approach. It wasn’t. In hindsight I should have simply hoofed the long-established member who brought this crap here maybe a year before I eventually did. I should have just shut it down. I’ve since lost touch with Claire, which is a huge shame. I hope she is ok and she will always be most welcome here should she ever choose to return.

I learned a lot as did the rest of the moderation team. I am still learning.

Some certainly were. This is my site and I was slow to act. I take 100% responsibility for that and I apologise. I was always on the right side of the argument as I recognised the transphobia as exactly what it was and was never for a second suckered-in by pseudo-academic alt-right shit like Jordan Peterson, but I let threads run for far too long thinking that fighting these arguments logically and compassionately was the best approach. It wasn’t. In hindsight I should have simply hoofed the long-established member who brought this crap here maybe a year before I eventually did. I should have just shut it down. I’ve since lost touch with Claire, which is a huge shame. I hope she is ok and she will always be most welcome here should she ever choose to return.

I learned a lot as did the rest of the moderation team. I am still learning.
As we've said, it's all about the context and I get the context surrounding your comments now. Fair play Tony.

In teens worked backstage on a comedy show 1980ish. I'd not heard of Roy 'chubby' Brown, so got a shock and was appalled. It didn't occur to demand cancellation, but surely would've being 100% age appropriate self-righteous. I asked the stage manager if I could bail out. Said he couldn't stop me, but it was on me to check what I'd agreed to work on, so no work in future. Ouch!

But he agreed show was bigoted tripe, & said I should stay. Apart from not losing work he had a plan. He asked assistant SM and me to join him in declining the get out, and leave the rest to him. Brown liked to hand over the cash in person, and when he came onstage after show SM politely declined his money. Brown asked why and SM declined to answer explaining would be unprofessional and cause trouble. Brown said you can't offend me, I won't complain to the boss, etc. SM says to assistant and me 'you both heard that?' With witnesses in place he explained to Brown why we didn't want his money. At full power and no holds barred. Brown turned a furious purple colour and flounced off the stage without another word. He had taken offence.

I’ve never revisited Browns’ oeuvre and don’t intend to. From what I remember much of the show would be illegal today. I believe that's for the good which is hypocritical. We all have our limits.

Can’t stand Brown myself but there was a story my Dad told me about him. The local paper reported that one of the Catholic Social Clubs had been broken into and the money from the till taken. Brown played the venue a few weeks later, strolled on, pointed at the statue of Christ above the stage (which a lot of catholic clubs have) and said “I see you caught the bastard who robbed the till”.

Last edited:
istm a lot of people have been manipulated in to believing harming whatever marginalised group(s) is somehow acceptable. Much ignorant chanting about being on the 'right side of history'. History, as far as I can tell, shows trampling over members of marginalised groups is always wrong and ends badly. Doesn't matter which group - lbgt+, women, poor, disabled, ethnic minorities, religious minorities, etc.

The next time you see a nodding celebrity (or anti-science showbiz scientist, full or part time corporate edge lords, etc) presenting a confected product as RL experience, encouraging all and sundry to beat up on a marginalised group best engage healthy scepticism. They are all fuelling culture wars, and fanning the flames, for money and fame.

I missed that. That's shit. Claire wrote to me after I posted about making a folk album in 2020, The only person across all the forums I frequent to have a real interest. The album was nothing, but the kindness was important.

In a previous life when Claire and I met here we had a falling out. It was my fault due to poor writing skills, but Claire was the bigger and better person by offering the olive branch. A very, very intelligent person.

A few years ago the Scot gov were making an enormous mess of attempting to reform the Gender Recognition Act and harming many marginalised groups. Mrs klfrs and I decided set up a meeting with MSP. I contacted Claire and asked if Claire had any information or comments. Claire bravely provided a large amount of sensitive personal information. This perfectly encapsulated how scotgov were harming trans people and women, and not liberating or helping them as was their claim.

I'm sad hate drove Claire away, but idk if Tony and mods should feel bad. No doubt they did their best. That's all any of us can do. The culprits are the abusers.

istm a lot of people have been manipulated in to believing harming whatever marginalised group(s) is somehow acceptable. Much ignorant chanting about being on the 'right side of history'. History, as far as I can tell, shows trampling over members of marginalised groups is always wrong and ends badly. Doesn't matter which group - lbgt+, women, poor, disabled, ethnic minorities, religious minorities, etc.

I think it would help understand quite where you're coming from if you were specific about who you believe is harming which marginalised group and in what way.

I think it would help understand quite where you're coming from if you were specific about who you believe is harming which marginalised group and in what way.
That would be a very long list. One example from each end of the spectrum.

When Owen Jones criticises women for standing up for their rights he's punching down. Sometimes he conducts himself like a corporate edge lord. Not saying Jones hasn't done a lot of important work, and isn't a member of a marginalised group.

Kellie Jay-Keen is a women's rights campaigner. Her approach in summary is f*ck everyone else. Numerous examples of her being blithely abusive to trans women. Not saying Jay-Keen hasn't done important work about erosion of women's rights, and isn't a member of a marginalised group.

Complex, isn't it? But the principle of not harming marginalised groups is sound, no?

"The Pleasance Theatre is a champion of free speech."

Extract from post cancellation Pleasance Theatre PR guff

I’ve since lost touch with Claire, which is a huge shame. I hope she is ok and she will always be most welcome here should she ever choose to return.

Yoo! I’m ok. Life hit me a few spitballs: Mischa our dog died of multiple age related neuropathies after fighting cancer and a leg amputation. I developed degenerative hearing loss… now profoundly deaf. I go non-vocal/mute for months, the whole TERF island thing got spicy. So I expatriated, before a closing of the jaws. The UK feels very unwell. I can live better elsewhere.

Now In a loving polycule… making a family, falling in love. Learning deaf culture and to sign & lip read. Otherwise just yet another terminally online trans girl/deaf-punk/furry/anarchist/infosec/wirehead nerd being gay doing my silly little crimes. Being a furry is super fun. Irredeemably, unashamedly, obnoxiously cringe & ratio. I’ve lost a lot but I belong somewhere now — and I’m home.

Taken yesterday morning but its still fresh. Meet Shimi, the Hyaena Mom.

FnWKdTMaUAAHZR8

Welcome back, Claire! :)

I've always enjoyed your posts & it's great to see you back & enjoying life.

Sorry to hear boom-tish of your deafness. It must spanner the works of music making & enjoyment & hi-fi pretty badly.

Yoo! I’m ok. Life hit me a few spitballs: Mischa our dog died of multiple age related neuropathies after fighting cancer and a leg amputation. I developed degenerative hearing loss… now profoundly deaf. I go non-vocal/mute for months, the whole TERF island thing got spicy. So I expatriated, before a closing of the jaws. The UK feels very unwell. I can live better elsewhere.

Now In a loving polycule… making a family, falling in love. Learning deaf culture and to sign & lip read. Otherwise just yet another terminally online trans girl/deaf-punk/furry/anarchist/infosec/wirehead nerd being gay doing my silly little crimes. Being a furry is super fun. Irredeemably, unashamedly, obnoxiously cringe & ratio. I’ve lost a lot but I belong somewhere now — and I’m home.

Taken yesterday morning but its still fresh. Meet Shimi, the Hyaena Mom.

FnWKdTMaUAAHZR8

Good to se you're back Claire. That's a bummer about the hearing loss. It looks like you've found a place called home though. Live long, and prosper, as Spock would say.

Good to see you Claire, very sorry to hear about the hearing and dog, but everything else sounds positive. I share your views on the state of the UK.

advertisement

Back