advertisement

Jerry Sadowitz cancelled

Nice to hear from you, Claire. As others have said, sorry about Mischa and the deafness, but glad to hear you're finding love and happiness out there (US?).

Hope this isn't just a flying visit.

Great to hear you are doing well Claire and are now in a good place. The NAC 102 I bought from you all those years ago is still going strong. It would be great if you’d drop in regularly.

Last edited:
Well, isn't that a rather pleasant surprise :), sorry to read of your hearing loss but very glad to read of the positives!

Well he’s banned from here if he ever turns up! That Jacob Rees Mogg can do one too!

Every venue has the right to not platform anyone they choose, just as you can choose who to invite into your living room.
Why is a theatre like a living room? The only similarity I can see might be private ownership.

Don’t get me wrong I’m all for banning stuff, just hate all this landlord’s rights Mullarkey.

Why is a theatre like a living room? The only similarity I can see might be private ownership.

Yes, it is a business. If you go to the trouble to set up a club or venue you are not obliged to platform fascists. Yet.

Thankfully a club or venue owner gets a lot more choice than that, e.g. Cream was never forced to host country & western line dancing nights or military marching music. Their venue, their right to market any (legal) content they wish and reject that which they feel would be a bad fit.

Same online. If someone doesn’t like the rules of one site they are perfectly free to set up their own as long as they are not breaking any existing laws. That is real freedom of speech. It certainly isn’t forcing people to platform knobheads that would deter their target audience or membership.

Bluddy hell.
Welcome back!
It's late and I'm p%^&%d but bluddy hell...for a long time time I thought you'd maybe gone to another place..So happy to see you are still with us :)
Sorry to hear about the dog (though I hate them) and the hearing issue, that is awful. But all the best for you, great pic!
Hope you're going to stay and post here a while.

Yes, it is a business. If you go to the trouble to set up a club or venue you are not obliged to platform fascists. Yet.

Thankfully a club or venue owner gets a lot more choice than that, e.g. Cream was never forced to host country & western line dancing nights or military marching music. Their venue, their right to market any (legal) content they wish and reject that which they feel would be a bad fit.

Same online. If someone doesn’t like the rules of one site they are perfectly free to set up their own as long as they are not breaking any existing laws. That is real freedom of speech. It certainly isn’t forcing people to platform knobheads that would deter their target audience or membership.
I do understand the right exists I just don’t understand why anybody thinks it settles anything. Also think you might be a bit too close to this one if you think that owning a platform is Real Freedom of Speech. Bit Elon Musk that, no? As I say, landlord’s rights =/= freedom of speech.

Also think you might be a bit too close to this one if you think that owning a platform is Real Freedom of Speech. Bit Elon Musk that, no?

Musk is actually a great example of what happens if you get it wrong and platform bad content. He kind of proves my point. Vast swathes of people leave for other platforms and his arrogance and bigotry has cost him literally $bns. He has proven that no platform is bigger than than bad ownership or bad strategy.

Twitter is not dead yet, but it is hugely diminished and is losing vast sums of money. Its ongoing collapse has helped focus the scaling of viable distributed open-source alternatives such as Mastodon. It is all very interesting to watch. FWIW I’m enjoying Mastodon far more than I ever liked Twitter and I’d never have made that jump were it not for Musk actively platforming fascists, racists, transphobes etc and abandoning moderation.

Musk is actually a great example of what happens if you get it wrong and platform bad content. He kind of proves my point. Vast swathes of people leave for other platforms and his arrogance and bigotry has cost him literally $bns. He has proven that no platform is bigger than than bad ownership or bad strategy.

Twitter is not dead yet, but it is hugely diminished and is losing vast sums of money. Its ongoing collapse has helped focus the scaling of viable distributed open-source alternatives such as Mastodon. It is all very interesting to watch. FWIW I’m enjoying Mastodon far more than I ever liked Twitter and I’d never have made that jump were it not for Musk actively platforming fascists, racists, transphobes etc and abandoning moderation.
Props for looking at the whole Twitter/Musk thing and saying, "See! The market works!"

advertisement

Back