advertisement

Jazz Reissues (Individual and short runs)

Last week I got an email from Amazon saying that the Candid Booker Little and Booker Ervin records would be a week late. Today I checked my order details on the website and it says they will now be released at the end of January 2023.

I'll have forgotten I ordered them by then!

Last week I got an email from Amazon saying that the Candid Booker Little and Booker Ervin records would be a week late. Today I checked my order details on the website and it says they will now be released at the end of January 2023

Ditto late Jan for The World of Cecil Taylor.

The Futuristic Sounds of Sun Ra out today and on its way from Juno (or should that be Jupiter?).

Ditto late Jan for The World of Cecil Taylor.

The Futuristic Sounds of Sun Ra out today and on its way from Juno (or should that be Jupiter?).

I got a copy direct from Craft so hopefully mine's on its way as well.

The Candid releases make you realise how talented the graphic designers on 40s/50s/60s jazz LP sleeves were.

They look like a 12 year old has designed them on PowerPoint.

The Candid releases make you realise how talented the graphic designers on 40s/50s/60s jazz LP sleeves were.

They look like a 12 year old has designed them on PowerPoint.

They were only in business for a year so I can forgive that. Besides, this sleeve is a stone cold classic.

I'm not sure Blue Note would have had the balls to put that out in 1961.

LTc2NTMuanBlZw.jpeg

Forgot all about the Sun Ra! Now rectified. Here’s a lovely monetised link to subsidise my copy (Amazon)!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
They were only in business for a year so I can forgive that. Besides, this sleeve is a stone cold classic.

I'm not sure Blue Note would have had the balls to put that out in 1961.

LTc2NTMuanBlZw.jpeg

It was the reissue covers I was referring to. I’d agree that one’s a great sleeve.

A couple more titles in the Decca British Jazz Explosion series seem to be popping up for December preorder on some sites (no Amazon yet!):

Harry Beckett - Flare Up and John Surman - Tales of the Algonquin.

Around £36 each - so about the same as a pint of milk come December : )

I'm going to cross-post this here as I'm not sure all the PFM Jazz Mafia will have spotted @Marchbanks post on the Forthcoming Vinyl Releases thread.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...equest-as-vinyl-reissue-series-301646454.html

Verve By Request Releases (November 2022 – June 2023):
November 11, 2022: Roy Brooks – Beat
November 11, 2022: Alice Coltrane – Ptah, The El Daoud
December 9, 2022: James Brown - Soul On Top
December 9, 2022: Mel Brown – Chicken Fat
January 13, 2023: Ahmad Jamal – The Awakening
January 13, 2023: Archie Shepp – Kwanza
February 10, 2023: Dorothy Ashby - The Rubáiyát Of Dorothy Ashby
February 10, 2023: Gábor Szabó - The Sorcerer
March 10, 2023: Blossom Dearie - Blossom Dearie
March 10, 2023: Eartha Kitt - Bad But Beautiful
April 28, 2023: Yusef Lateef – Psychicemotus
April 28, 2023: Pharoah Sanders - Black Unity
May 26, 2023: Wayne Shorter - Footprints Live!
May 26, 2023: Herbie Hancock - The New Standard
June 30, 2023: Albert Ayler - Love Cry
June 30, 2023: Sun Ra - Space Is The Place

Last week I got an email from Amazon saying that the Candid Booker Little and Booker Ervin records would be a week late. Today I checked my order details on the website and it says they will now be released at the end of January 2023.

I'll have forgotten I ordered them by then!
While the three you mentioned are still delayed until Jan. 2023 my copy of Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus did dis arrive early today and despite a couple of minor not too important points it is really excellent. Bernie Grundman has done a fantastic job remastering and cutting this direct from the master tapes a real revelation over a CD copy. The tonality and room presence for the musicians is truly great. The only slight down side is as @Seanm points out in the What are you listening to thread the original recording is very left / right with virtually no centre fill. Mingus and Danny Richmond far left and Eric Dolphy and Ted Curson far right, but not much Grundman could do about that. Each musician does sound separate, clear and very dynamic though at the correct volume level. I might give it a play with my mono cartridge to see (hear) if I prefer it with that.

The music and musicianship is really, as long as you like the Jazz towards more avant-garde, way ahead of its time. Probably the best interpretation of Faubus Fables of those I have by Mingus and What Love with varying time signature is really outstanding. The dialogue between Eric Dolphy and Ted Curson’s is exceptional as well as their solos some great playing from them. Curson has been pretty much overlooked by me although I do have the Mingus at Antibes and Archie Shepp’s Fire Music with him on. Mingus and Richmond are not lacking here either of course.

The only other slight downside to this reissue is that the reproduction of the cover art is pretty poor, not even up to BN Classic standard and my copy at least for some reason had razor sharp edges to the LP. They hadn’t been trimmed I think.

Overall though based on this one these Candid reissues are really worth getting and good value at under £24 each. I have had the other three above on order for sometime, I passed on ‘We Insist’ as I have a very good copy. I hope they maintain or even improve on this ones standard.

Mine turned up today too. Crazy wide soundstage, very dry and it seems to lack the obvious mic-bleed thing of RVG-era Blue Notes and as such sounds very odd to me. Like two almost unconnected ensembles. I suspect this one would be better in mono. The cover photo is clearly poor quality, but I’ve never seen an original to compare it to. The rest is very high-quality matt tip-on and nice and sturdy. Vastly better than a Blue Note Classic IMHO, but let down by a poor image source in this case. The rest has clearly been re-typeset as the text is all very sharp and clear. I guess they can only work with what exists. FWIW my (I think) late-80s Japanese CD seems a little sharper on the photo, but still not great.

Not sure what I make of it so far. I’m of the mindset with Mingus, I guess like Monk, that the good stuff he did was a real game-changer and its importance can not possibly be overstated, but he also had a lot of ‘also-rans’, and for me this may be one. I’m not yet hearing anything that would make me pull it out ahead of the RCA, Columbia, Atlantic, or Impulse stuff.

FWIW my copy isn’t sharp on the edges.

PS Amazon link here. I had it on preorder for months and got charged £22 delivered, so not too bad.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I’m of the mindset with Mingus, I guess like Monk, that the good stuff he did was a real game-changer and its importance can not possibly be overstated, but he also had a lot of ‘also-rans’

Steady Tony! You'll have the Jazz Police round with talk like that!

The music and musicianship is really, as long as you like the Jazz towards more avant-garde, way ahead of its time. Probably the best interpretation of Faubus Fables of those I have by Mingus and What Love with varying time signature is really outstanding. The dialogue between Eric Dolphy and Ted Curson’s is exceptional as well as their solos some great playing from them. Curson has been pretty much overlooked by me although I do have the Mingus at Antibes and Archie Shepp’s Fire Music with him on. Mingus and Richmond are not lacking here either of course.

The only other slight downside to this reissue is that the reproduction of the cover art is pretty poor

Jim I'm playing my 1970s Victor reissue now. I'd forgotten what a great record this is - and as you suggest essential simply for the inclusion of Fables with lyrics after it was censored by Columbia Records the previous year. The photo reproduction is crappy on mine as well. I bet it is on the original.

Two, four, six, eight:
They brainwash and teach you hate.

advertisement

Back