advertisement

Jazz Reissues (Individual and short runs)

Timely review here from LJC with interesting background info and a couple of samples:

https://londonjazzcollector.wordpre...dan-charles-tolliver-1968-9-wallen-bink-2022/

I’ll be opting out. Love Jordan, but hate trombones (excepting Mingus and Moncur - brilliant brass and woodwind arrangements par excellence).
Graham,
Well if your excluding Curtis Fuller as well that means at least 4 early Coltrane recordings off your listening list including Blue Train (1958) and even more Art Blakey recordings including Mosaic (1961), Caravan (1962), Free For All (1965) etc. :p
I like some Fuller’s recordings as leader as well, especially The Opener.

Mind you I can’t really complain too much as I not a fan of Jazz Organ recordings with the exception of Larry Young. ;)

Well if your excluding Curtis Fuller as well that means at least 4 early Coltrane recordings off your listening list including Blue Train (1958) and even more Art Blakey recordings including Mosaic (1961), Caravan (1962), Free For All (1965) etc. :p

Blue Train, although I have a nice mono copy, wouldn’t be in my top 30 Coltrane records. And you are right Jim - I don’t have any of those Blakey albums. Organ combos, on the other hand, or Coltrane’s later, freer, (Impulse) stuff - bring it on!

Great pity Larry Young died before we ever got to hear any evidence of his private sessions with Coltrane. Now that would be interesting! Nothing ever found in the vaults - or so we are lead to believe.

Tony Higgins posted on Twitter today that Decca's British Jazz Explosion series will be continuing in the new year.

Great news - about time! Top of my wish list will be the astounding Abstractions by Joe Harriott, and Once Upon a Time by Alan Skidmore. (Have a feeling I’ve mentioned this somewhere before). I also have a hankering for the soulful and long unavailable Cleopatra’s Needle by Ronnie Ross. I could go on........

BTW, the double CD reissue of Harriott’s Free Form and Abstractions on Hat Art Revisited is excellent, nice mastering compared to some reissues I’ve heard. Both essential titles, especially the more nuanced Abstractions (some will disagree about that). This music is so advanced, even by today’s standards, sounding so fresh. Shake Keane plays a blinder on the latter - (unforgivable that his name is spelt incorrectly on the sleeve as Kane).

Great news - about time! Top of my wish list will be the astounding Abstractions by Joe Harriott, and Once Upon a Time by Alan Skidmore. (Have a feeling I’ve mentioned this somewhere before). I also have a hankering for the soulful and long unavailable Cleopatra’s Needle by Ronnie Ross. I could go on........

BTW, the double CD reissue of Harriott’s Free Form and Abstractions on Hat Art Revisited is excellent, nice mastering compared to some reissues I’ve heard. Both essential titles, especially the more nuanced Abstractions (some will disagree about that). This music is so advanced, even by today’s standards, sounding so fresh. Shake Keane plays a blinder on the latter - (unforgivable that his name is spelt incorrectly on the sleeve as Kane).
I would be in for all of those as well. Thanks for your opinion on the Hat Art Joe Harriot as I was wondering about that reissue. I will probably pick that up.

Unreleased Horace Tapscott on Mr Bongo:
Don't think I've ever bought anything on Mr Bongo. How are they? Price is decent, unlike some recent Tapscott reissues.

The Giant is Awakened is a classic IMO, and this follow up with the same band is available on Qobuz. Nice side long version of For Fats from Giant. No idea about Mr. Bongo on vinyl, (a brief scan of Hoffman would indicate they are decent pressings, but can’t find any indication of mastering or pressing plant), but I’m tempted to get it myself. Let you know if I do. (One caveat - piano sounds slightly out of tune with itself - but not enough to be a show stopper).

Thanks for that. I am familiar with Mr Bongo and have a number of their reissues. They were a well-known store for international music that now also does reissues of rare, otherwise hard to find albums. It's the kind of stuff that merits reissuing. The music is the most important thing, not the recording, remastering foo foo, audiophile BS, etc.

They are very decent. I have no issues with them. Avoid, if you must only buy 'audiophile' reissues.

Don’t know if anyone heard Terje Rypdal’s ‘Bleak House’ reissue on Round 2 records from a few years ago but I can throughly recommend it. I don’t tend to buy a lot of reissued records but the original goes for silly money. It’s a fantastic recording, the dynamics on it are phenomenal. Really put my faith back in reissues.

Another New Land, due 28th October. Pre-order

306354.jpg

https://newland.ochre.store/format/1037136-a-modern-jazz-symposium-on-music-poetry

Not sure if the right thread given its a CD box, but the Miles Davis Bootleg Series Vol 7 dropped through the door earlier. It represents the end of the Columbia period, so the early-80s stuff before he moved to Warners for Tutu etc. Not his strongest era by any stretch, but I’m rather enjoying this so far (I’m mid-way through disc 2 of 3). It’s a bit more stretched-out and relaxed than the various albums, a bit cheesy in places, very in others, but some good slinky funk grooves too. Worth having for sure. As with the last Bootleg Series it is very well mastered and sounds really good. The final disc is live, though I’ve not got there yet.

Edit: the live disc is really good, probably the best thing in the box. Surprisingly full-on judging from the first couple of tracks.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I picked up an LP of Gerry Mulligan, The Concert Jazz Band, on the MatchBall label, and it sounds ok to my ears.
Looking on their site, there's plenty of similar jazz.

Interesting - and a reminder that reverb is used in the mastering process.

Sometimes, not always. More commonly added at the mixing stage, or at the recording stage (RVG being the obvious example). My experience of Lester Koenig’s brilliant recordings for Contemporary were the 80s OJC reissues without additional reverb. It was a culture shock when I eventually heard an early pressing of Ornette’s Tomorrow Is The Question! soaked in plate reverb. Significantly changes the perception of the music.

advertisement

Back