advertisement

Jazz Reissues (Individual and short runs)

Thanks. Good to know it's a repress of an earlier mono reissue.

I had left it in my basket on Juno while I investigated whether it was mono. I didn't want to take any chances. Juno just emailed me to say that they had only two remaining in stock so I've ordered it now. Thanks again.
It's ok, but not great by recent standards. Better than nothing though

Just treated myself to a boxset! That's completely wild for me...

Ooooh...i was really interested in that one too, but overdid the mingus box sets last year, as well as a couple of first UK presses that sound amazing - once you have played it through, please tell us what you think

Update on the Contemporary Series for 2024. Way Out West (the one everyone's been waiting for, I think) in time for XMas in Dec.

Update on the Contemporary Series for 2024. Way Out West (the one everyone's been waiting for, I think) in time for XMas in Dec.

Contemporary Acoustic Sounds Series 2024

Feb 23: Art Pepper – Smack Up

Mar 1: Shelley Mann & His Men – At The Black Hawk

Apr 12: Harold Land – The Fox

May 17: Hampton Hawes – For Real!

Jun 14: Howard McGhee – Maggie’s Back In Town!!

Jul 12: Teddy Edwards, Howard McGhee – Together Again!!!

Aug 16: Prince Lasha Quintet – The Cry!

Sep 13: Ben Webster – At The Renaissance

Oct 11: Art Pepper – Intensity

Oct 11: Art Pepper – Gettin’ Together

Nov 8: Helen Humes – Songs I Like To Sing!

Dec 6: Sonny Rollins – Way Out West

Interesting video from Michael 45 comparing the new Sam reissue of Sahib Shihab and the Danish Radio Jazz Group cut by Keven Gray with an original and a Japanese reissue.

He states that both the original and the Japanese reissue have more dynamics and 'punch'. Michael puts this down to tape degradation but I do wonder if it's also partially the result of mastering decisions. Intriguing but obviously hard to know for sure.

Interesting video from Michael 45 comparing the new Sam reissue of Sahib Shihab and the Danish Radio Jazz Group cut by Keven Gray with an original and a Japanese reissue.

He states that both the original and the Japanese reissue have more dynamics and 'punch'. Michael puts this down to tape degradation but I do wonder if it's also partially the result of mastering decisions. Intriguing but obviously hard to know for sure.

Listening on YT and liking this a lot. On the list.

Michael hears exactly what I hear, but he hasn’t the technical/studio background to know it is largely mastering decisions. He loves that immediate punchy sound I do, classic RVG-stamp vinyl etc. It is almost always a conscious mastering decision, it is exactly what people paid ‘Porky’ etc for. In technical terms it is exactly the right amount of exactly the right compression and EQ. It is a real skill and is what made the legendary mastering engineers legendary. None of this is accidental. None is “bad kit”, it is the final step in shaping a record for its end-user.

That’s not to say tape degradation isn’t a very real thing. It certainly exists and has ruined some masters to the point a needle-drop is the best anyone is ever going to get now.

The problem, if it is a problem (it may just be a taste/market thing) is the superstar audiophile mastering engineers (Steve Hoffman, Kevin Gray, Bernie Grundman etc) always aim for the closest to what is on the surviving master as possible, not what the original release sounded like. One step of intent is lost. For all we know, and yes this happens, the band or manager may have gone to the mastering suite with the tape, said “this sounds kind of shit, can you push the guitar out more and get shut of some of the hi-hat for us?!” That then becomes the record we know and love. The master tape is “wrong”.

I’ve argued many times that I believe RVG recorded overly bright knowing he’d be cutting treble at the mastering stage, kind of a DIY Dolby. His records never sound bright the way some Tone Poets etc do, and treble certainly existed in 1958. I can prove it! This was a conscious decision to focus attention on what was happening in the mid-band with the horns, snare etc. The stuff that makes a record kick.

Sticking this here even though it's not a jazz reissue but possibly of interest to the same members...

The photographer and writer Val Wilmer will be guest on Desert Island Discs next month.

Thanks. Didn’t know she was still with us but so am I and I have quite a few months on her.

advertisement

Back