advertisement

Jazz Reissues (Individual and short runs)

I’ve got an RVG-cut Liberty BN of Somethin’ Else. An amazing sounding record and one of the first jazz albums I bought back in the mid-80s. I traded it for some car-boot classical at Circle Records in Liverpool! I’ve also got a Japanese copy which is very good indeed but quite different, one of the few duplicates I keep just so I can demonstrate mastering differences should I need to.

I’m not done with ALS yet. I’ve got a 1972 Japanese copy and the Acoustic Sounds. Sadly the Japanese one is worn (the previous owner clearly played Psalm to death!), but other than that it sounds superb with an almost RVG-like presence. The Acoustic Sounds is also superb, the best audiophile cut I’ve heard of it, but I view myself in limbo here until I find a clean proper RVG cut (a Canadian Spartan world do) or a mint copy of the Japanese pressing I already have. I’m not knocking the AS at all, it is stunning in its way, it is just that ‘original RVG vs. Tone Poet’ thing. There is something about the originals that speak to me, and so far to my ears the better Japanese cuts get closer to that than modern audiophile fare.

I’ve got an RVG-cut Liberty BN of Somethin’ Else. An amazing sounding record and one of the first jazz albums I bought back in the mid-80s. I traded it for some car-boot classical at Circle Records in Liverpool! I’ve also got a Japanese copy which is very good indeed but quite different, one of the few duplicates I keep just so I can demonstrate mastering differences should I need to.

I’m not done with ALS yet. I’ve got a 1972 Japanese copy and the Acoustic Sounds. Sadly the Japanese one is worn (the previous owner clearly played Psalm to death!), but other than that it sounds superb with an almost RVG-like presence. The Acoustic Sounds is also superb, the best audiophile cut I’ve heard of it, but I view myself in limbo here until I find a clean proper RVG cut (a Canadian Spartan world do) or a mint copy of the Japanese pressing I already have. I’m not knocking the AS at all, it is stunning in its way, it is just that ‘original RVG vs. Tone Poet’ thing. There is something about the originals that speak to me, and so far to my ears the better Japanese cuts get closer to that than modern audiophile fare.

The 2002 ALS CD deluxe version is really pretty good. The was something about a better tape source if I remember correctly

https://www.discogs.com/release/9989434-John-Coltrane-A-Love-Supreme-

The 2002 ALS CD deluxe version is really pretty good. The was something about a better tape source if I remember correctly

Yes, I’ve got that and it’s good if a bit ‘loud’. I’m pretty sure that is the same tape as the Acoustic Sounds, but with less compression. I’d happily recommend the Acoustic Sounds, it is very good, not jaw-droppingly stunning like their Sanders Karma, but certainly very good. It is a record that would take some proper cash or real luck to beat.

Ken M isn’t holding back on Blackstone Legacy! I fully agree with him, it is a fantastic record, and I bet the Jazz Dispensary reissue will be just as good as he describes. I think I’ll hold with my ‘70s Japanese copy, but I’d have been all over this otherwise. Not an easy record to find.

Not heard a original. New Craft version in very good

blob

Juno currently pre ordering for £50 for 19/9/23 - it's $40 from Craft in the states

Tax / Expert costs / Brexit etc I suppose

£30 in the US, £50 here. Funny how we seem to have gone back to the 1950s when jazz records were expensive imports.

Trevor the postman just gave me this.......https://www.mps-music.com/releases/the-hip-walk/
My copy of Nathan Davis ‘The Hip Walk’ arrived Friday, but today was the first chance for a spin. It is really excellent. AAA from the original master tape and the pressing, seems to be an Optimal, in this case is first rate. Really flat and quiet. Very good recording and Christoph Stickel has done a great remastering job. Pretty much up to Sam Records standard. Nice booklet included as well.

Great playing from both Davis and Carmel Jones who really play well together. They really push one another on the title track. Excellent rhythm section as well with also some nice soloing from Francy Boland on piano. Recommended?

Great playing from both Davis and Carmel Jones who really play well together. They really push one another on the title track. Excellent rhythm section as well with also some nice soloing from Francy Boland on piano.

It’s an infectious album, nothing earth shatteringly new but as you imply great lyrical playing all round, and some great tunes. It’s on my next batch of orders for the end of this week when the August BNCs are released. Anyone not familiar with Nathan Davis could do worse than starting here, I think you’re right to recommend it. Nice to know it’s been mastered and pressed well.

I’m fortunate enough to have a copy of ND’s masterpiece, Makatuka, a more extended and recent affair than Hip Walk. I’m hoping this will eventually get a premium reissue as most copies, including mine, were noisy pressings. I like his work with Larry Young too.

Graham,
Yes I really like Nathan Davis and he is really good on this as is Carmel Jones. He is even good on flute, nice rich tone,on this as well as tenor and soprano (and I not a fan of flute jazz) have the Sam Records 3 LP Live in Paris with the George’s Trio Arvanitas Trio that is also excellent plus a few records where he is a side man. Would love a decent copy of Makatuka I assume the 2017 reissue is not great?

Apols if this one’s already been mentioned. Currently the 501st best live album EVER on RateYourMusic.

https://www.purepleasurerecords.com...At-IUCC-STEREO/p/569245531/category=144197508

It’s a great album and performance. Tempted myself as I’ve only ever heard a digital copy.

The Nimbus West/Outernational Sound issue was mentioned in the Strata East thread last year, and important that people should know what they’re getting. Needless to say the Pure Pleasure releases that MotelBlues has linked to are legit and mastered from the best possible sources. Some Nimbus West titles are even mastered by Kevin Gray from analogue tapes. Here is the back story for anyone interested:

Last edited:

advertisement

Back