advertisement

Jazz Reissues (Individual and short runs)

Ken was swapping pairs the other day. I think it's a joke (he doesn't respect him!)

That’s surprising. Michael45 is honest as far as I can tell. He’s bang on the money when comparing modern reissues to original pressings, or at least he certainly hears exactly what I hear when it comes to the life and punch, what I describe as ‘artistic intent’. His ears align with mine far more than say Michael Fremer or Mike at the In Groove (I suspect I’d just not like their Wilson speakers!). I’m really surprised as Ken M is on the same page taste-wise when it comes to free jazz and other out-there stuff (Michael is really into Krautrock and obscure avant garde etc as well as jazz). Ken has also praised original RVG Blue Notes, Impulse etc over audiophile cuts, which is very much where Michael is ending up. Michael45 is clearly less experienced (he’s a lot younger), but he’s learning real fast IMO.

Michael 45 certainly has the financial means to learn real fast. I get the impression that Ken is a little jealous, he's made a couple of catty comments in the past...

Yes, he seems to have an absolutely bottomless budget. I get the impression he’s only been doing this a few years and he clearly has a much better collection than the one that has taken me a whole lifetime and a lot of luck and bulk collection deals to acquire. That said I view him as far more impartial than certain reviewers (not Ken!) who just get sent a copy of absolutely everything for free. Michael is certainly spending to own the good stuff.

Obviously doesn't apply for original/vintage pressings but I assumed YouTube reviewers were given the stuff they review by the record company.

Obviously doesn't apply for original/vintage pressings but I assumed YouTube reviewers were given the stuff they review by the record company.

I very much doubt that is the case at Michael’s level, certainly not until very recently anyway. He’s now importing Acoustic Sounds stuff into the EU so that relationship may change. I trust Mike at the In Groove too even though I disagree with him hugely on some/most of his finding (he tends to hate Japanese pressings, I love them, he rates the 40th Anniversary DSOTM, I don’t like that mastering at all, he prefers TPs to RVG cuts, I don’t etc etc), but I take his findings as honest as they often don’t correspond with what he sells. I’m sure system choice comes into it a lot, I’ve never liked any system with as many drivers as Mike’s or Michael Fremer’s, so I suspect they are after something very different to me. I don’t know enough about Michael45s system to have any handle on what he’s hearing, it is all Einstein apparently, a brand I’d never even heard of.

PS My system is not a million miles away from that used by ‘Porky’, RVG, and many studios in the ‘60s and ‘70s so I guess it is no surprise I’m drawn to the stuff I am. It’s a chicken/egg thing too, as a collector of early issues wherever I can it makes sense to have an era-appropriate replay chain that reflects the monitoring technology of the time. The thing I find interesting in Michael45 always ends up on the same page despite starting far later from the reissue end of market. He gets what I’ve thought forever.

I didn’t know the name of the agency, though I heard he had something to do with digging VW out of their hole after the diesel emissions scandal. I imagine there is a fair bit of cash in that kind of work!

Amazon currently have the Idris Mohammad at £29 (Amazon link), so I’ve taken a punt on that. Certainly sounds good and funky based on a quick YouTube listen.

Quoting myself as all the best people do… The Idris Muhammad turned up today and this one kicks. Massive punchy sound, superb drum sound. Funky!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

Ken M isn’t holding back on Blackstone Legacy! I fully agree with him, it is a fantastic record, and I bet the Jazz Dispensary reissue will be just as good as he describes. I think I’ll hold with my ‘70s Japanese copy, but I’d have been all over this otherwise. Not an easy record to find.

Ken M isn’t holding back on Blackstone Legacy! I fully agree with him, it is a fantastic record, and I bet the Jazz Dispensary reissue will be just as good as he describes.

Hockman (who posts here) was recommending this a year or so ago and had it on his reissue wish list (working from memory here - he’s most likely got an original). Mind you, with the latest Mal Waldron hovering around £50 it’ll be interesting to see what the UK price will be. Haven’t seen any pre-orders yet. Mid September release date. I’ve only ever heard it digitally. Great artwork too.

OJC Mal/2 sounds excellent , not had a chance to compare to the simply stunning ERC true mono version
Blackstone promo/test pressing due next month Craft KG recent reissues all very good

I am the one who clued Tony L in on this album I believe! Funny how these things go round...

I won't be going for the reissue, I have a nice original ;).

Hockman (who posts here) was recommending this a year or so ago and had it on his reissue wish list (working from memory here - he’s most likely got an original). Mind you, with the latest Mal Waldron hovering around £50 it’ll be interesting to see what the UK price will be. Haven’t seen any pre-orders yet. Mid September release date. I’ve only ever heard it digitally. Great artwork too.

I am the one who clued Tony L in on this album I believe! Funny how these things go round...

I won't be going for the reissue, I have a nice original ;).

Blackstone Legacy? Yes, I certainly found out about this album here (as I do a lot of stuff). Thank you. I initially bought the CD, then a Japanese vinyl copy (Discogs) randomly came in as part of a collection I was selling so obviously went no further. I played it yesterday whilst deciding whether to buy the Craft to compare it, but it is so good I don’t think I’ll bother. I’m missing the obi and insert, there’s a bit of age-foxing/yellowing to the inner gatefold, but the vinyl is in top shape, a very strong EX. Really no need to upgrade this one, it is a great sounding record and it has the sort of visceral midband punch and presence I associate with an RVG Blue Note etc, it kicks!

I was also trying to understand Ken Micallef’s criticisms of the drum kit recording. To my ears it is almost certainly just one kit mic, panned hard right on the stage, but it sounds great, I’d really not have singled the kit out aside from maybe not enough kick drum, but given there are two bassists on many tracks that was likely a mixing decision to keep things intelligible. No issues with metalwork, snare and toms, they really cut through on my pressing. This is a great sounding album all round to my ears. If the Craft is anywhere near as good as this I can’t recommend it enough!

Blackstone Legacy? Yes, I certainly found out about this album here (as I do a lot of stuff). Thank you. I initially bought the CD, then a Japanese vinyl copy (Discogs) randomly came in as part of a collection I was selling so obviously went no further.

And I learned about this album and bought your CD, so thank you both :)

But I will be buying the Craft, this album in a hopefully good mastering on an LP is a must.

Just spinning the Craft issue of Ornette’s Something Else. It’s pretty much the only early Ornette I didn’t have a decent copy of. Nothing really to compare to but vinyl and mastering is immaculate and the music as brilliant as I expected!

advertisement

Back