advertisement

It's time for the Ergo IIIR

The outside

37763368342_66da3b1a5d_b.jpg
I remember seeing that newly built when I visited seven or eight years ago. It's great to see it is productive.

I remember seeing that newly built when I visited seven or eight years ago. It's great to see it is productive.

Wow, was it that long ago! I was really hoping to get to NZ this year for work and try and sneak a visit to you but that didn't work out too well.

@cutting42

It was July 2014, so almost six years ago. Lock-down has made that seem longer ago.

I think our borders will remain closed for a while yet. But once C-19 is under control in our respective countries, I'm certain travel can resume shortly thereafter. I'd welcome your visit.

Drum roll and fanfares galore, the day has arrived, the longest speaker build in history is finally complete!

Yes you heard correctly, my dithering and distractions notwithstanding, I have actually finished these flippin' things. Press ganged my son into helping me carry them into the lounge and fitted the drivers with no real issues. Soldered up the final Speakon connectors and plugged up the crossover boxes to the amp.

Selected Rush Spirit of Radio as the debut track on JRiver and gently applied some volume.

Tiniest amount of volume and checked each driver, 5 are fine but the RH tweeter not running Doh! A bit od swapping of cables and crossover boxes identified one other the crossover boxes as the culprit. A quick check identified a loose connector so retightened them all and then we had all 6 drivers present and correct.

Time to wind it up a bit and start the long process of running them in but they are sounding awesome already. When I made the first pair for Bemused they were initially a little bass shy in my system but I have better psu's in my DAC (Twisted Pear) and that has made a huge difference and I also have a few tweaks due to be installed in the HackerNAP's.

Very happy to finally get these done and thanks for the few who have hung on to the bitter end. Active next ...............

49899365581_7e8549462c_c.jpg

49899673342_39a878c6a6_c.jpg

49899673482_d93c3ff84a_c.jpg

Result! I’m so chuffed for you, Gareth. Well done. You have about 200 hours of running in to look forward to.

As for the longest speaker build on PFM? Another one is about to be resurrected that might steal your crown, when it is finally completed. It’s been more than a decade in the making. But I’ll let the OP restart his thread.

@cutting42 Beautiful work! Congratulations; I'm sure these will reward in sound quality to come ..for many years.*

And for the rest of us thanks, @James , for sharing & supporting such a thorough design so generously.

* I love the little joke of a matching Kan merely as the Xover housing!

I look forward to the active version comparisons.
I wish I kept my LSPCad files and JustMLS data. That would be helpful to model the active filters to suit the driver complement. On active amplification, I'd encourage the installation of DC blockers. The Seas M15CH001 has a very delicate voice coil and only +/- 1mm of travel, and long out of production.

Bloody well done, Gareth! Let them run in and you’ll be in HiFi heaven. Actually mine sounded pretty damn good from the start if I recall correctly.

I’m interested in your plans to go active, I’d toyed with the idea of using one of the Hypex 3 way nCore plate amps but it’s the filter design that scares me...

Oh, by the way, they look gorgeous!

Lovely stuff … I started making the E IVs years ago and abandoned the project … but now I have started again … I am having a problem posting photos from Google Photos … any help would be appreciated

I think I am tempted by your multi channel amps with the Ncores if I ever figure out the active crossovers.

Well if you do, I can talk you through the setup, assuming you go with a MiniDSP type set up. I'll even give you a PFM discount on A mini DSP unit if I'm feeling in a good mood that day

I think you should at least live with the passive setup for a while, if not least because the passivecpassive components aren't cheap!

advertisement

Back