advertisement

It's time for the Ergo IIIR

cutting42

Arrived at B4 Hacker Ergo
Well after nearly a year of messing about working and getting a few home chores attended to, I have finally got around to making sawdust. I am making a version of James's Ergo IIIR speaker as built by at least two other people so mine will be numbers 4 and 5. Oh yes, not content in building my first loudspeaker, I am building two pairs, one for me and one pair for another pfm'r who shall remain nameless unless he wants to own up to it.

They will be a little different to the previous versions as I will be using veneered panels rather than solid wood for the outside. This is due to having a wide panel (420mm) on the sides and this needs to be glued to the core carcass and the stresses this will generate could split a solid board in this position. I will be using commercial veneered MDF and making the lipping (edges) myself. It is a bit experimental and will be the technically most challenging veneering I have done so far but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

The starting point is the core cabinet construction. I am a "plans" kind of guy and decided to draw up a full set of tech drawings and work from those. This was mainly because I prefer this way of working but also because of building two pairs it actually means I can batch make the panels.

Here is a general picture of my working plans in Google Sketchup - a free 3D drawing package.

BoxConstruction.jpg

This allows me to draw up a panel to scale and test fit in the cabinet so the actual construction is quick. I then drew up a cut list and used some software (Smart2DCutting3) to maximise the number of panel that could be cut from each sheet of mdf.

PanelCulist.jpg

So I got 4 sheets of mdf delivered last Monday and cut them roughly to size with a hand held circular saw on the floor of the kids playroom that is being redecorated at the moment. I cut them small enough so they were lighter to handle onto my table saw and SCMS (Sliding compound Mitre Saw).

IMG_2545-1.jpg

IMG_2547.jpg

Once in the workshop I have started cutting accurately to size. I had all my saw blades recently sharpened especially for this project and the finish is superb, as good as a planed or routed finish. The exception will be the main sides to the core as I will make one accurately by hand and then use it as a template and rout the rest from it.

IMG_2552.jpg

The stack of sized parts is building up very quickly and building on earnest will start soon.

More as I get round to it.

Cheers

Gareth

Looks excellent Gareth. Can't wait to see your progress. What finishes are you going to use?
Andy

Plan is to use American Black Walnut for both pairs probably finished with Danish oil. Not sure about the leather yet but black probably.

Cheers

Gareth

Looking good Gareth, I like the 3D Google thing, i'll try that out and post some on my OGRE thread. I'm very interested in how the pre veneered boards will work out on the edges. I'd considered them myself but couldn't get my head round how to do the edges.

Stefan

Your workshop makes me weep. I want one like that. I too will be interested in the joints- never attempted mdf due to this.

Thanks for the support guys

orangeart, you should have a go with Sketchup, once you have a little play is it quite straightforward. Re the veneering, I am still a bit scared about it to be honest but think I have thought of all the joints - we will see.

Cheers Captain, this is the 4th iteration of the garage workshop and I am really happy with it. Most of the machinery I can just use in situ, only the planer thicknesser needs to be rolled outside to be used. I love just pottering round the wksp for a little "thinking" time of an evening to plan the following noisy stuff between 6 and 9.

A bit more trimming to size today with just two boards left to do. Next on the list is marking out where the rebates and trenches will go and make up some templates for repeatability.

Cheers

Gareth

Nice to see this project started, Gareth. I shall relive my E-IIIR adventure vicariously in yours, and follow with great interest.

James

Hi, Gareth

Horrible, nasty, dusty MDF, Can't stand it. I have a sheet of MR MDF to make a bookcase from but can't work up the enthuisam to get going!

Would it be better to use MR MDF?

Pete

I love the look of these speakers. What's a ball-park figure for the overall cost of the project?

I am looking at a budget of about £1K for a pair overall including drivers but not the xovers yet as I have not priced them up.

Hi, Gareth

Horrible, nasty, dusty MDF, Can't stand it. I have a sheer of MR MDF to make a bookcase from but can't work up the enthuisam to get going!

Would it be better to use MR MDF?

Pete

Hey Pete

I know what you mean, I have been living in my dust mask for the past few days. I don't mind it so much, MR is only a little less dusty but a lot more expensive and don't really need the MR side of it. I did consider Ply but I felt it would be moving away from James' design and MDF is excellent for speaker cabs.

Hi, Gareth

I have lipped veneered MDF with 11mm thick wood, planed and scraped to finish flush, its easy to do. I tried a router with a bearing guided bit but it’s hard to balance in a narrow edge. The sides of your speaker will be easier. Are you mitring the top corner? The front edge of the side looks like it might fun.

Pete

Hi, Gareth

I have lipped veneered MDF with 11mm thick wood, planed and scraped to finish flush, its easy to do. I tried a router with a bearing guided bit but it’s hard to balance in a narrow edge. The sides of your speaker will be easier. Are you mitring the top corner? The front edge of the side looks like it might fun.

Pete

I built an integrated amp with a wooden case as a test piece for veneering and the lipping went pretty well. Just used a plane initially and then a 300mm by 50mm mdf board half covered with sandpaper and sanded the lipping, the board stops the sanding digging into the veneer.

IMG_2655.jpg

IMG_2656.jpg

I did some plans on how to do the joints. If I mitre the resulting joint is horrible,a compound curved mitre that would need to be done by hand unless I chamfer the top edge rather than curve it.

HowtoVeneeranErgoIIIRver7Mitre.jpg

Can leave it similar to the original

HowtoVeneeranErgoIIIRver5.jpg

Or change the top edge to bevel instead of rounded over.

HowtoVeneeranErgoIIIRver4.jpg

Hi, Gareth

Wouldn't a square piece of liping on the top edge be easy to profile after assembly?

Pete

Love the amp- superb veneering work! it looks like a giant wafer biscuit with two round giant gnats in & i want to eat it in one go despite the gnats.

advertisement

Back