advertisement

Is Mana Back?

Then what the hay is the advert up on eBay all about and the Incredible hubris of "first editions will be signed By John Watson"... and?

Incidentally "The Mana Effect" has no right to have ™ next to it as it, like the patents and all IP relating to it have expired some considerable time ago.

Either this is unauthorised making it a serious offence (there are at least three 'trading with intent to defraud' in one para alone) as well as mis-selling, possibly a counterfeit goods as well.

...or he's backing out after misjudjing the frabjous reaction of many of us having very very long memories about 1. screwing people over and 2. John Watson's tendency to get high or drunk or pumped up or whatever and phone some of my friends up and threaten them over the phone and then tell them to keep quiet, "or else". When stood up to, nasty little cowards like this are best crawling back under the rock they came from.

Damn, and I had high hopes of finally purchasing a brace of brand-spanking new Stealth mono-blocks. Feck!!!!

ECS (i.e. RAM Technology) are the place to go there. http://www.ecsamplifiers.co.uk Still in production and still out there...

Mana had no electronics design in the Stealths, even my red protoype PCBs were marked ECS-ea1. Same as with the big Neat Ultimatum speakers, no actual Mana design there either, just an OEM rebranding partnership that never went anywhere.

ECS are good amps BTW, the matching pre I heard at Artists' is exceptional and well above what I expected.

Fox, thanks for the above information, I had recalled this to be an ECS amplifier. I had watched all the action at the time and was wondering where the Stealth was actually going to go and if any modification to the original ECS design would have taken place. Fun times they were.....or not. Tim

No modification. Aside from one. The front is now no longer a solid billet of Ally (with a cutout inside for the toroidal emdedded in it causing the amps when on Mana to lean forward and create mega spike sinkage). In fact the Amp has been refined since those days as you would expect. The people doing it are nice folk.

I sold my monoblocks when I got ATC100s. Sold all my Mana a couple of years before they went WACO texas and tits-up so I recouped all I had wasted on angle iron. STEALTH and Briks effectively paid for the ATC100s. I ought to have done it all along. Lesson learned.

ECS have balls.

"Product Name: Balls-Decouplers Set
Product Code: 024
Price: £175.00
Short Description: We recommend this model for users who are forced to use weak support their various components . . ."

ECS (i.e. RAM Technology) are the place to go there. http://www.ecsamplifiers.co.uk Still in production and still out there...

Mana had no electronics design in the Stealths, even my red protoype PCBs were marked ECS-ea1. Same as with the big Neat Ultimatum speakers, no actual Mana design there either, just an OEM rebranding partnership that never went anywhere.

ECS are good amps BTW, the matching pre I heard at Artists' is exceptional and well above what I expected.

ECS have balls.

"Product Name: Balls-Decouplers Set
Product Code: 024
Price: £175.00
Short Description: We recommend this model for users who are forced to use weak support their various components . . ."

Very poorly written text but Vistek is a very competent maker of supports for sensitive equipment.

I wonder if the comment about weak supports is aimed at Mana, specifically the spike sinkage issue, which in my experience degrades the Mana Effect.

My Mana CD turned up today and I duly popped it into the PC to rip.

Some questions to the faithful:

- The CD drive started to skip around and fart when trying to rip the last couple of tracks and the rip appears to contain nasty spikes of noise. Do I need to place my Apple iMac onto a complimentary set of Mana platforms in order to obtain a clean rip?
Is it like Dolby - you know, you need it for recording and playback?

- This afternoon I found myself wandering aimlessly around Stratford train station in a trance-like state gazing up at the steel girders and platforms. At one point I was approached by a scruffy young chap and asked if I'd 'like some gear'.

Is this the Mana effect?

We were completely sane and sober at the time. Promise.

8080748617_f2b172d567_o.jpg

It's like a pile of old slates.

Going slightly off topic

I have the Ecs preamp and Ecs poweramp i used these as a combo when i used my sbl speakers in my main system(now in second system)i still use the Ecs pre with my Atc 100's and i use in balanced mode which sounds amazing.

I have tried several ther preamps costing 3-4 times the cost of the Ecs and i still says that this a true bargin.

Mana did hype the stealth amp but that stalled and Ecs walked away from John watson(he tried to screw them over)

Thanks to fox for mentioning the Ecs

So all you former Mana lovers..
What do you choose to park the gear on now?
I still use a four tier amp stand for cd, amp, power supply

Simple, nothing! A small DAC that sits on the floor tucked under floorstanding active speakers. This is the new world any stand manufacturer enters into. Another few years and "big rigs" will be anachronisms (if they are not already).

So when you had 15 levels of mana you were ahead of the game (not) and now you have a basic dac and active speakers you are still ahead of the game.

Based on your track record caveat emptor I think..

Big rigs rule, and always will:D

So when you had 15 levels of mana you were ahead of the game (not) and now you have a basic dac and active speakers you are still ahead of the game.
Based on your track record caveat emptor I think..

I'm good. Baled on Mana 8 years ago and recouped what I wasted. I do everything guaranteed to result in inferior sound and am more than happy so concede y'all know more than me. Feel free to point and snigger. The Mana Effect is a cute idea for getting stoned on cheap-ass hydroponic chateauneuf du Pinner.

I've Clobazam and Ponies now. It's SUPER-EFFECTIVE!

Fox, next time you're in the States get some Xanax. Teddy will connect you. On the matter of Mana, that like The Smiths was a phenomenon that completely passed me by. If you give me the dates I'll be able to tell you what my delusional hobby interests were at the time.

advertisement

Back