advertisement

Is everything OK with Stirling Broadcast?

From memory I think Derk did the V2 redesign, and AB-2s, for Doug before he worked at Harbeth, where he worked on a AV range called something funky like NRG or something, not on the main range where they would probably clash over the designs - my impression is that Derek is a better designer, having had a fantastic apprenticeship under his father.

Doug said he thinks Harbeth was named after the Har in Harwood and his wife, Beth. Not sure if that's true but it mimics the Spendor name formation from the Spencer and Doris names

From memory I think Derk did the V2 redesign, and AB-2s, for Doug before he worked at Harbeth, where he worked on a AV range called something funky like NRG or something, not on the main range where they would probably clash over the designs - my impression is that Derek is a better designer, having had a fantastic apprenticeship under his father.

The 'new' SB website states the following:

(...)
Shortly afterwards we began a path of innovation in the LS3/5a world by introducing higher quality crossovers and thin-walled, screw-back cabinets modelled after the prototype LS3/5a cabinets and as seen on the 001/002 pair demonstrated at the HiFi News shows of 2001 and 2002.
Following problems and uncertainties with the continuing supply of T27 and B110 drive units we began our relationship with the esteemed loudspeaker designed Derek Hughes, commisioning him to design a 'version 2' of our LS3/5a.
(...)
In 2011 we produced two more designs by Derek.
(...)

So the collaboration started sometime between 2002 and 2011.

According to Stereophile (link), Derek helped develop the M40 model.
As well as the NRG models (his name figures in a Japanese market advert I posted here recently) DH may have worked in the crossovers for other models.

Doug said he thinks Harbeth was named after the Har in Harwood and his wife, Beth. Not sure if that's true but it mimics the Spendor name formation from the Spencer and Doris names

According to Stereophile (link) that information is correct.

I've owned 2 speaker models designed by Derek Hughes: the Spendor SP9/1 for half a decade and later the SB LS3/6 which I replaced a year ago.
Nice speakers, although I'm happier with my current 2014 Kef pair.

For those seeking to buy a pair of SB LS3/6s it is worth pointing out that the original crossover design (brown board) was not ideal and a second improved crossover (green board) was designed to replace it.
According to an email exchange with Doug Stirling 14 speaker pairs had the original crossover.

For those seeking to buy a pair of SB LS3/6s it is worth pointing out that the original crossover design (brown board) was not ideal and a second improved crossover (green board) was designed to replace it.
According to an email exchange with Doug Stirling 14 speaker pairs had the original crossover.
We've got sh1t loads of the latest crossovers here if anyone needs some, way more than the number of cabinets we have left to build!

Just found out that Pinewood studios installed a numberof LS3/6s, I know that someone like Classic FM installed V2s in the early days.

The 'new' SB website states the following:

(...)
Shortly afterwards we began a path of innovation in the LS3/5a world by introducing higher quality crossovers and thin-walled, screw-back cabinets modelled after the prototype LS3/5a cabinets and as seen on the 001/002 pair demonstrated at the HiFi News shows of 2001 and 2002.
Following problems and uncertainties with the continuing supply of T27 and B110 drive units we began our relationship with the esteemed loudspeaker designed Derek Hughes, commisioning him to design a 'version 2' of our LS3/5a.
(...)
In 2011 we produced two more designs by Derek.
(...)

So the collaboration started sometime between 2002 and 2011.

According to Stereophile (link), Derek helped develop the M40 model.
As well as the NRG models (his name figures in a Japanese market advert I posted here recently) DH may have worked in the crossovers for other models.

According to Stereophile (link) that information is correct.
So he had to get some expertise in !

Look at the number of BBC type designs Derek has now done for Graham Audio, plus that passive system at the Royal Opera House when an active system would normally be mandated.

Derek did a smaller but similar disco PA system for Doug like that, using Crown amps for the power. Still got it here if anyone is a budding DJ ! Can also have the Technics SP10 decks that might have been used by David Rodigan, although no-one used a fixed speed deck for DJing nowadays I would have thought.

Derek and Doug also developed a BC-1 update. This was a baffle to fit the Spendor BC-1, using the LS 3/6 drivers and a similar crossover. Wonder if any of these are still left?

Personally I don't think it ever happened, Doug doesn't remember anything much happening with it anyway.

He has a pair of BC-1s there with some faulty drivers - I was thinking of trying to refurbish the cabinets and putting an LS3/6 baffle in it - probably with drivers and crossover as well :) There's a couple of black baffles spare and also some rosewood ones.

Incidently I have discovered why Doug has a liking for Zebrano veneer - the doors to the toilets at the nearest McDonalds that he visits for breakfast most days are, or are very similar to, a Zebrano finish !!

I know someone who actually bought a set to update his BC-1

Perhaps Derek remembers; of course, if none are left it’s moot .

There were a bunch of crossovers out in Dougs shed, some of which he said were for an earlier project with Derek.

But they would be hard for me to identify without Derek's help, and he seems to be very busy these days!

I'll have another look when I visit again - looking for crossovers with 6 wires would be a start!

I've owned 2 speaker models designed by Derek Hughes: the Spendor SP9/1 for half a decade and later the SB LS3/6 which I replaced a year ago.
Nice speakers, although I'm happier with my current 2014 Kef pair.
Hello Tuga, newbie here.
I have owned and listened to SP1 and SP2/2. Both lovely. I think SP9 was almost mythical and ultra rare as I spent couple of years tying to find a pair for Quad and Sugden in the day.
Tony.

My first hifi demo included Spendor SP2/2s, which I think might have been Dereks first design (so it must have been an upgrade, unless he also did the SP2), and they left a lasting impression. Too big for me at the time so I went with Rogers LS3/5as as they had the same balance of sound and were in the same 'class'. I rejected the Rogers LS7t as they jst seemed 'normal' compared and also some Musical Fidelity MC4s as they just seemed poor. I

I bought some Spendor SP1s second hand but they sounded a little flat for me - but I toook them to a friends who had some Pye HF25 tube amps (a 1954 design) that he had restored and the SP1s sounded absolutely fantastic with them - I played some Count Basie and Ella Fitzgerald and you could smell her perfume, they were that good !!

Having had some taste of what LS3/5a's can do when owning ProAc Tab 10 Sig's (yes, I know they are not LS3/5a's) for a couple of years, I'm really excited to get these.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back