advertisement

iPhone 13

Some iPhone 13 Pros available for pick up in London today. Not the model I'm looking for so I think I'll check in daily re stock rather than ordering and having a 5 week lead time.

It does. I am really not an Apple fan, and increasingly less by the day, I just view their competition as being even worse! The one redeeming feature with Apple kit is if you care for it you never end up throwing it away. It always retains a value and therefore dodges landfill. I’ve never been the type who drops, liquid spills or otherwise damages my kit, so my 6S even after best part of 6 years it is still very close to mint, as is my 2012 MBP, and I’ve even got a very clean boxed MkI Mini in my retro computer stash too. My plan from now on is to run stuff as long as I possibly can (keeping current OS etc) and then keep it boxed up until it is a legitimate collectable/antique! No landfill. No spectacularly un-green Apple trade-in etc either (as I understand it they ‘shred’ stuff which harvests maybe 10-20% or resources, if that). They’d only pay £35 for the 6S anyway. Far better to keep it, donate it to charity or your local independent repair shop as a donor unit.

PS By going for the ‘Product RED’ version as I understand it 50% of the profit margin goes to the (RED) charity, so that’s 50% I’m not giving Tim Cook, which makes me surprisingly happy!

Great minds think alike, I always go Product Red where possible too, and I also have a like new 2012 MBP, it’s a secondary machine now having been replaced as a daily driver by a brand new MBP a few months back, but I am still using it, as is my daughter.
B46yTlR.jpg

My iPhone 13 pro max is just great. It is amazingly fast, has a great display and battery life is unprecedented for me.
The cameras are really good too.
5G is fast but not faster than 4G right now.
iOS 15 fine.
I don’t regret my purchase.
I’ve had it since the 14th (ordered one week before that).

Just checked I could still dock iOS 15 to my Mohave-running 2012 MBP, thankfully I can so I can get the music I want over. Obviously I no longer have a headphone jack, but I’ll cross that bridge later!

The 6S failing battery thing is interesting, it claims to be at 89% health, but since updating to iOS 15 it has had a couple of times when it is reporting 2-3% left after next to no use, even on occasion no use at all, i.e. just sitting there doing nothing. I suspect this is a software or firmware bug of some description as rebooting the phone brings it back to the almost full charge I’d expect. When I get time I’ll try a full power cycle as I am one of those dreadful people who just leave the phone on its charger for days on end.

My iPhone 4s is about to go due to the battery struggling to hold charge. I’ve had it since it was almost new, maybe 2011? It’s outrageous it’s only lasted this long:p!

Just picked up an iPhone 7, I suspect it won’t do quite as well but it may outlast me!

The 6S failing battery thing is interesting, it claims to be at 89% health, but since updating to iOS 15 it has had a couple of times when it is reporting 2-3% left after next to no use, even on occasion no use at all, i.e. just sitting there doing nothing. I suspect this is a software or firmware bug of some description as rebooting the phone brings it back to the almost full charge I’d expect. When I get time I’ll try a full power cycle as I am one of those dreadful people who just leave the phone on its charger for days on end.
I had exactly that with my old 6S. Tried a full reset to no avail. The only thing that resolved the issue was a replacement battery (I got it changed when Apple offered a battery swap for £25). Guy at the Apple store ran a diagnostic on the phone which identified the battery as the issue.

Mick

I am really tempted to replace my iphone X with a pro max 13 mainly for the battery life although my battery is still showing 100%. I usually buy direct from Apple as they do % finance and I don't like being tied into a provider.

The only gripe I have with my XR is the camera. It's not very good, and certainly noticeably worse than the 8-Plus I had previously.

I like the promise of the 13 Pro, but cannot justify one just now as the XR works well enough for me as a mobile device, if not camera. I'll probably wait until my XR needs a battery replacement. Its battery health, presently at 97%, suggests it has at least a year or two before significant deterioration occurs. By then, the iPhone 15 might a four lens camera with true macro, low-light ultra-wide, super-telephoto and ultra-sharp normal, all of which have optical zoom factor that covers each range fully, so I don't have to put up with digital zoom rubbish.

A small but important point to me is the actual shape of the handset. I’ve always really liked the way that my iPhone 7 Plus’s rounded edges fitted my hand. In comparison, both the iPhones 12 and 13 look like being real bricks.

Mine always ends up in a fairly bulky Otterbox case so the shape is an irrelevance! I’ve already bought another one for the 13. Basically I want it to survive if I come off my bike, and I’ve not damaged one yet. My 6S went flying on the canal path a few months ago as I’d stupidly not zipped the pocket it was in, or maybe it had come undone. Absolutely fine, not even a mark on the Otterbox, let alone the phone!

I like the Mous cases as they give the rounded edges without increasing size too much and the are excellent for protection

I’ve used Spigen ‘crystal clear’ cases on iPhones in recent years. Very pleased with the minimal increase in size yet good protection they offer.

Mick

It does. I am really not an Apple fan, and increasingly less by the day, I just view their competition as being even worse! The one redeeming feature with Apple kit is if you care for it you never end up throwing it away. It always retains a value and therefore dodges landfill. I’ve never been the type who drops, liquid spills or otherwise damages my kit, so my 6S even after best part of 6 years it is still very close to mint, as is my 2012 MBP, and I’ve even got a very clean boxed MkI Mini in my retro computer stash too. My plan from now on is to run stuff as long as I possibly can (keeping current OS etc) and then keep it boxed up until it is a legitimate collectable/antique! No landfill. No spectacularly un-green Apple trade-in etc either (as I understand it they ‘shred’ stuff which harvests maybe 10-20% or resources, if that). They’d only pay £35 for the 6S anyway. Far better to keep it, donate it to charity or your local independent repair shop as a donor unit.

PS By going for the ‘Product RED’ version as I understand it 50% of the profit margin goes to the (RED) charity, so that’s 50% I’m not giving Tim Cook, which makes me surprisingly happy!

Do Apple still name their trade in scheme as ‘Apple Give Back’? Their trade-in prices are such an absolute pi$$ take, they be better calling it ‘Just It Give Apple Back’.
iPhone X from new, mint condition, battery life still very good, running IOS 15 quickly, great camera - I’m staying put for another 3 years at least so looking at iPhone 16 - how clumsy does that sound?

It is probably not of the slightest interest to anyone, but my 2017 Samsung J3 is still working perfectly on its original battery. It lasts one day if I use it a lot, but 2-3 days if I don't use it much.

Do Apple still name their trade in scheme as ‘Apple Give Back’? Their trade-in prices are such an absolute pi$$ take, they be better calling it ‘Just It Give Apple Back’.

I think it is just called ‘Trade In’ now and you can do it online at the point of sale of a new device. As you say the prices offered are pathetic, way less than you’d make on eBay and I question their motives as their recycling is hopelessly inefficient (only a very small percentage of resources are salvaged). Call me cynical but I suspect they are just doing it to remove usable devices from the used market and drive new sales.

It is probably not of the slightest interest to anyone, but my 2017 Samsung J3 is still working perfectly on its original battery.

That’s very good for a battery. What is the situation with OS updates? The main criticism of Android is devices seem to get orphaned within just a few years. They have a notoriously poor percentage of people running the current (i.e. secure, patched) version. This is one area Apple are very good at, there is a 6 year+ compatibility window and the userbase do tend to update to the latest OS and point release as it is so easy to do so.

iPhone X from new, mint condition, battery life still very good, running IOS 15 quickly, great camera - I’m staying put for another 3 years at least so looking at iPhone 16 - how clumsy does that sound?

I traded in my XR for £180 and my wife's 6S for £40 and with absolutely no problems the money was in my bank within ten days.

Music magpie were offering £250 for the XR but one look at Goggle reviews was enough for me to avoid them like the plague plus my son sent then a mint iPhone previously and they completely downgraded the phone to more or less worthless from their original offer once they had received it, he ended up selling it to a mate for about the original price MM offered but he lost postage costs.

Apple have offered me £320 for my MBP 15" (Mid 15) against either a MBA M1 or M1 MBP and to be quite honest that's more or less the SH price without the hassle of selling and posting and someone being unhappy or selling via ebay and being scammed.

Curry's were offering £330 about a month ago and Apple about £380 this was before the new phones & iPads were released.

Second hand prices for my version of the XR is about £220-£250 with more faff.

I think it is just called ‘Trade In’ now and you can do it online at the point of sale of a new device. As you say the prices offered are pathetic, way less than you’d make on eBay and I question their motives as their recycling is hopelessly inefficient (only a very small percentage of resources are salvaged). Call me cynical but I suspect they are just doing it to remove usable devices from the used market and drive new sales.

That’s very good for a battery. What is the situation with OS updates? The main criticism of Android is devices seem to get orphaned within just a few years. They have a notoriously poor percentage of people running the current (i.e. secure, patched) version. This is one area Apple are very good at, there is a 6 year+ compatibility window and the userbase do tend to update to the latest OS and point release as it is so easy to do so.

I think I did an update when it was new, but since then I just leave it as it is and don't bother to update. Maybe I should?
But I only use it for whatsapp, the occasional photo and the odd foray on internet. I never take it with me when I'm out and about, I use a small clamshell for that. So I expect an iPhone would be wasted on me.

I think I did an update when it was new, but since then I just leave it as it is and don't bother to update. Maybe I should?
But I only use it for whatsapp, the occasional photo and the odd foray on internet.

Just view it as probably being easily hackable/not secure, I’d not use it for banking, PayPal, eBay etc. I don’t know Android well enough to know what exploits and security holes have been found in the past five years or so, but it is safe to conclude there are many. I’d certainly look into what software updates are available and apply them.

PS This is unquestionably a big plus for Apple. My ancient iPhone 6S with its failing battery is running the current version of iOS released last week. I trust it with my bank details, pfm admin, PayPal, ApplePay etc. It is still as secure as the 13 that I’ve just ordered.

Just view it as probably being easily hackable/not secure, I’d not use it for banking, PayPal, eBay etc. I don’t know Android well enough to know what exploits and security holes have been found in the past five years or so, but it is safe to conclude there are many. I’d certainly look into what software updates are available and apply them.

PS This is unquestionably a big plus for Apple. My ancient iPhone 6S with its failing battery is running the current version of iOS released last week. I trust it with my bank details, pfm admin, PayPal, ApplePay etc. It is still as secure as the 13 that I’ve just ordered.

I see now that my use of a "smartphone" is very different from you, and probably fro most on here. I would never put bank numbers and codes into it. In fact I don't even have "online banking" because I am afraid of hacking, scams, security complications, etc. I like going to the bank every now and then, "shooting the breeze" with the people there, and doing my simple and modest business on the premises. Mind you, I don't know what it is like in the UK but bank personnel here in Italy have become increasingly vague and incompetent over the past 20 years, especially regarding anything that deviates from the bank's model of what the customer should do. I've had for 20 years about a dozen stocks and bonds, chosen by me, in a securities account, but they seem increasingly incapable of dealing with this. They ask me to sell them all and invest in their own investment funds. Never!

advertisement

Back