advertisement

iPhone 13

I went for this Otterbox Defender which is maybe a little over the top, but based on past experience it will take a drop from a moving bike on a canal path! It’s actually not too big without the clip bit attached (which I won’t use).

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I initially got a delivery date for my iPhone 13 of 20th-27th of this month. This was later revised by an email last week to 22nd-26th. It dropped through the letterbox an hour or so ago. Go figure. Setting it up now….

All done now. The bizarre thing with Apple supporting phones for so long with OS upgrades is it just feels like the 6S in most respects. Slightly larger screen with an annoying notch at the top and face-id rather than fingerprints to unlock. I’ve not played about with the camera yet, and that’s probably the best bit. It’s a much nicer thing aesthetically, back to the nice sharp lines of the 4, 4S & 5, but I’ve stuck it in a big rubber case so can’t see that. It’s red too, and I can’t see that either.

Upgrading went seamlessly, I just needed to rearrange all my icons again, which annoyed me. Docking to iTunes on the MBP to download about 100gb of music worked fine too, not that I can listen to it until I buy the headphone adapter (which is a bargain at £9 as it is actually a DAC/ADC, not just a lead!). I’ll grab one next time I’m in town.

The PITA experience, which I have learned to always expect somewhere, came in wiping the 6S. I’d already removed it from my Apple-ID from the new phone, so found myself unable to do a factory erase/reset. To fix this I had to go through a full restore on iTunes and only then would it let me flatten it. Worth noting this if you are planning to retain or sell the old phone, wipe it from its settings app before doing anything to your iCloud account!

All done now. The bizarre thing with Apple supporting phones for so long with OS upgrades is it just feels like the 6S in most respects. Slightly larger screen with an annoying notch at the top and face-id rather than fingerprints to unlock. I’ve not played about with the camera yet, and that’s probably the best bit. It’s a much nicer thing aesthetically, back to the nice sharp lines of the 4, 4S & 5, but I’ve stuck it in a big rubber case so can’t see that! It’s red too, and I can’t see that either! Upgrading went seamlessly, I just needed to rearrange all my icons again, which annoyed me. Docking to iTunes on the MBP to download about 100gb of music worked fine too, not that I can listen to it until I buy the headphone adapter (which is actually a bargain at £9 as it is actually a DAC/ADC, not just a lead!). I’ll grab one next time I’m in town.

They are really cameras with phones these days rather than vice-versa

The PITA experience, which I have learned to always expect somewhere, came in wiping the 6S. I’d already removed it from my Apple-ID from the new phone, so found myself unable to do a factory erase/reset. To fix this I had to go through a full restore on iTunes and only then would it let me flatten it. Worth noting this if you are planning to retain or sell the old phone, wipe it from its settings app before doing anything to your iCloud account!

Glad to see the computer literate can still trip up ;) Its odd that I don’t think I would have made your mistake as I’ve years of being behind the curve and treat any change like defusing an unexploded bomb without the appropriate training :)

I don’t see why it needs to phone home to Apple to be wiped if you have the correct security code/fingerprint-id to get in. You should just be able to flatten it if you can legitimately access it. I guess it may be some security feature where it dumps a GPS flag on the hill that it died, but I’d want to opt-in to that.

…an annoying notch…
I moved from a 6S to an 11 a couple of years ago. I found the notch a little irritating for about a day then didn’t really notice it. The increase in available screen was worth that slight nick out of the top. The notch on the 13 is narrower (but slightly deeper) than the one on the 11 & 12, and rumour(!) has it that it’ll be gone on the iPhone 14.

Mick

@Tony L I had no issue erasing my old 7 plus, iOS even asked me if I wanted to do it right after the transfer. Odd.
The transfer was quick and seamless with the phones communicating directly with one another. I didn’t need to use my backup at all.
The camera is amazing. Not an SLR obviously but really useable in many situations.

I had no issue erasing my old 7 plus, iOS even asked me if I wanted to do it right after the transfer. Odd.

It was down to me doing things in what I considered a logical order rather than what Apple defined/enforced as such. To my mind severing it entirely from the cloud and then wiping it made total sense, e.g. that’s how I’d deal with a PC (I’d just repartition/format it, then install an OS).

advertisement

Back