advertisement

iPhone 13

Since I posted about the pro on order, my banners ads have become: Audi R8 V10 supercar and Night Residences in Lahore with ensuite maid rooms!

Not got a 13, still happy with my 11, but the 13 will be an upgrade over the 11… now where I’m going with this, I went from a 7 (which until then had been the best iPhone I’d had all round, loved it) to the 11, it was a big upgrade and I soon felt at home without the home button. I reckon you’ll be very pleased going from a 6s to a 13, it’ll be a massive leap.

The battery life will amaze you - the improvement in everyday use is remarkable. You can argue it's overdue for Apple, but still - it's finally up there with the best of the Android handsets.

Was weighing up the same dilemma myself, as my long serving iPhone 7 Plus is now failing on me. I’m wary of spending cash on a new battery for the 7 Plus (assuming that the issue is the battery) so have just placed an order for a iPhone 11 Pro Max (really wanted the larger screen and not fussed about the lack of 5G) for £769.00 from the refurbished section on the Apple UK store. Was tempted to splash for a 13 Pro Max on a 24 month contract, but it’s just too much ££££ and I really don’t feel that now is the time to commit to a new monthly payment, what with food and energy bills going up, etc.

13 Pro w 256GB here. Ordered from the Apple site the first day preordering was available, received on launch day. I moved from an iPhone 11, which I would have hung on to for another year or two but my wife’s iPhone 6 is really struggling nowadays (with only 16GB apps keep having to be downloaded again too) so she’s now using my old 11.
The 13 Pro is a splendid piece of kit which I’m hoping I can hang on to for a few years.

Mick

This may matter to you

It does. I am really not an Apple fan, and increasingly less by the day, I just view their competition as being even worse! The one redeeming feature with Apple kit is if you care for it you never end up throwing it away. It always retains a value and therefore dodges landfill. I’ve never been the type who drops, liquid spills or otherwise damages my kit, so my 6S even after best part of 6 years it is still very close to mint, as is my 2012 MBP, and I’ve even got a very clean boxed MkI Mini in my retro computer stash too. My plan from now on is to run stuff as long as I possibly can (keeping current OS etc) and then keep it boxed up until it is a legitimate collectable/antique! No landfill. No spectacularly un-green Apple trade-in etc either (as I understand it they ‘shred’ stuff which harvests maybe 10-20% or resources, if that). They’d only pay £35 for the 6S anyway. Far better to keep it, donate it to charity or your local independent repair shop as a donor unit.

PS By going for the ‘Product RED’ version as I understand it 50% of the profit margin goes to the (RED) charity, so that’s 50% I’m not giving Tim Cook, which makes me surprisingly happy!

Got a standard 13 from Argos - ordered on line and collected same day (just 4 or 5 days ago.) I was using a 7 for about 5 years. Battery life is incredible compared. The 7 wouldn’t last a day. Same use with this and I reckon I’d get 4 days-seriously. Everything else ? It’s an iphone … familiar stuff.

Think I paid £850 for the XR from Apple back in October 2018 but it was a business phone so roughly £600 after tax and NI and a £180 from Apple in a trade in so total cost over three years was about £400.
£400 more than nothing;)

I have a 13 Pro Max with 256GB. Upgraded from the 11 Pro Max which I will give to my brother who also previously received my 7 Pro.

I think it’s great! Build quality is first rate, cameras are amazing and the screen’s adaptive refresh rate is silky smooth… and bright. I’ve been using the phone all day including FaceTime and I still have 73% battery!

Been considering a 13 too, this clip popped up in my YouTube feed a few days ago and is worth your time. It goes against everything you are advocating for in your 'Right to repair' thread. Piss poor from Apple, proof as if it was needed that new iPhones come without a charger for-profit and not environmental reasons

Been considering a 13 too, this clip popped up in my YouTube feed a few days ago and is worth your time. It goes against everything you are advocating for in your 'Right to repair' thread.

That’s a good video (I’ve not seen that channel before, I’ll have a look round his other stuff). This whole thing needs to be thrashed out and I suspect it will in the next year or so. I can see Apple’s point in that tampering with the security aspects of the phone could enable illegal access etc (and that is after all access to your bank, PayPal etc), but they clearly take the piss with it and take it way too far. From the video it looks pretty clear the main keyed item is the front-facing camera/face-sensor which is the phone’s main access-lock, and that it is keyed both to the logic board and the screen. That explains the other features that camera does (auto brightness, certain photo modes etc) failing. Other non-security aspects of the phone, e.g. the rear cameras, weren’t coded, and I believe the battery isn’t either (it was rumoured to be) - I watched this long iFixit tear-down:

As stated I do understand the security lockout, but I’d far prefer a software user-consent, i.e. when you initially setup the phone it asks you do you want to enable these features that key the security hardware together or not. It should be our decision, our clear right as owners, but to be honest for this particular aspect I’d likely click it as there are some phone thieves out there with some serious technical skills and I’d not want that aspect spoofed or bypassed in any way. I can see this sitting alongside Right To Repair, which is more about part supplies, schematics etc. We have a long way to go yet, but I do think some real progress is being made.

I guess whilst we are on the general topic I’m not too impressed with iOS 15 at this point. Particularly Safari which seems quite buggy and glitchy to me. I’m finding it stalling here on pfm quite frequently and I’m sure it’s a Safari thing, not a pfm thing. It just doesn’t seem to handle some scripting correctly. It seems a little better since the .1 release, but I’ve still had to restart it a couple of times on my 2020 iPad Pro.

advertisement

Back