advertisement

iPhone 13

Tony L

Administrator
Anyone bought/got one yet? Curious to know whether you love/hate it. I’ve just succumbed and ordered one as since the last iOS update my ancient 6S showing all the signs the battery is well on the way out, and it just isn’t worth replacing it on such an old phone that will be unsupported next version. It’s randomly doing that going straight from 80% to 3% thing with no explanation, nothing obviously stuck process wise (I’ve rebooted it etc). Annoyingly the 13 is out of stock at the Apple Store so I’ve had to order one which is several weeks away. I’ve turned absolutely everything off I can on the 6S in the meantime!

The 6S has done incredibly well, I bought it a few months before the iPhone 7 release as I wanted a headphone jack and the 7 was at the time widely (and correctly) rumoured not to have one. It is therefore well over 5 years old, still on its first battery, and from a total cost of ownership perspective will have cost me under £140 a year plus a GiffGaff PAYG SIM (monetised link, get your free SIM!), which is not a lot as a business expense. If I can get a similar lifespan out of the 13 I’ll be happy enough. It annoys me they don’t last even longer in a useful capacity, but that’s a good lifespan for a smartphone, most end up trashed after a year or two). The 6S is still cosmetically mint and I’ve got the box etc so given how little it is worth right now I’ll keep it until it is a valuable vintage computing collectable!

PS FWIW I went for the 256GB standard size 13 in ‘Product (RED)’ finish (one may as well get Apple to make a charity donation!).

I actually do care about the camera (I use it a lot for pfm), and 5G hopefully helps future proof it. My key with this stuff is total cost of ownership and buying a 13 now means it should be good for a 6 even 7 year lifespan with maybe one battery change. In hindsight I made a mistake with the 6S as had I bought a 7 it would have a year more OS support and would be worth throwing a battery at right now. The 6S is EOL with iOS 15.

Your not suspicious then? I’ve a 6s and there was a free battery offer a while back I took advantage of. Mine will end up with my other half once support stops as she uses it simply as a phone and watching news feeds. No Apple account.

I got a replacement battery for my 7S when it started exhibiting behaviour similar to the OP’s - £35 from a shop in Glasgow and it’s like new now

Went from a 6 (not s) to a 12 mini. Held out for a small form factor and 5G. Really nice little phone.

Just upgraded to the newest iOS (15.0.1) yesterday. Not much difference except they put the url on the bottom of the browser - weird.

I was hoping to replace my iPhone 7 but can not get a 13 anywhere. No stock around.

It’s crazy isn’t it? Fanboys blocking the system for those of us who actually need a new phone! You are better off ordering from the Apple website (I asked in the Manc Arndale store today). I got a lead-time of 20-27th Oct for the one I ordered.

It’s crazy isn’t it? Fanboys blocking the system for those of us who actually need a new phone! You are better off ordering from the Apple website (I asked in the Manc Arndale store today). I got a lead-time of 20-27th Oct for the one I ordered.

My wife has the 12 mini and I've gone for a 13 mini from an XR (£180 trade in with Apple) I bought her the phone for Christmas last year.

Her phone was more expensive @ £699 with less memory than mine which was £679 less the trade in but I bought AppleCare + for my phone at £139.

I was actually going to trade my wife's mini 12 in for a mini 13 but Apple are only offering £300 for it, don't think the minis are very popular.

I like the mini it's okay, better camera than the XR and a better screen too but it's a bit small although it's perfect for sticking it in your pocket the XR was way too big.

BTW I traded in my wife's old 6S with Apple last December when I bought my wife's phone for £40

Went from a 6 (not s) to a 12 mini. Held out for a small form factor and 5G. Really nice little phone.

Just upgraded to the newest iOS (15.0.1) yesterday. Not much difference except they put the url on the bottom of the browser - weird.

You can change that in Safari settings on the phone, the OP posted how to do that last week.

Ordered my 13 pro at the weekend. I’ll have at least one 11 pro 64gig available for sale next month…unlocked, too..;)

I bought a 13 pro on a contract for one of the Miss Stemcors from mobilephonesdirect who are part of the AO empire. Received the day after release and she loves it (especially when Dad pays the bill).

We have had 3 iphones from m.p.d. They have a straightforward online ordering system and it was painless. They have the 13 (in all 4 guises) available for 12th October in some colours with 3, vodafone and O2 as carrier options. The pricing is also very competitive. We worth a look if you are in the market for a new mobile.

A new 12 mini 128 is $50 less than a 13 mini 128. If buying now I’d go for a 13 mini, but that’s only to delay end of life rather than a need for speed.

A new 12 mini 128 is $50 less than a 13 mini 128. If buying now I’d go for a 13 mini, but that’s only to delay end of life rather than a need for speed.

My wife's mini is only 64 gig which is why I was going to replace it for the 13 mini 128 but the loss on the trade in is too much, don't think they sell for much more SH either, she's happy with it anyway.

I've just bought an 11" iPad pro M1 for business use but also mainly to let my wife use something bigger when she's browsing the internet/reading texts etc, I've no idea how she manages on such a small screen.

The iPad Pro M1 is amazing BTW.

My (old) SE just updated to iOS15 so I'll keep it for a while longer. The new SE looks like pretty good value. 12s and 13s are $$$$.

I have a work phone, imagine it will be a while before my 7 is upgraded but it costs me nothing.

Think I paid £850 for the XR from Apple back in October 2018 but it was a business phone so roughly £600 after tax and NI and a £180 from Apple in a trade in so total cost over three years was about £400.

advertisement

Back