advertisement

IPhone 11

Even my twelve year granddaughter is laughing at the idea of three cameras!

This is why

23604.jpeg

My Motorola Android was £130, SIM free.
Can't contemplate spending £1k plus on a phone (even if I had that much 'spare').

These new iPhones are already obsolete as they are not 5G compatible even if today you do not have 5G in your neighbourhood. When 5G is available these phones will depreciate very very quickly.

I understand what you’re saying, but I ran a speed test just now on my 4G 8 Plus and got a download speed of 60 Mbps. I’d expect that to be less in a city, where 5G would come into its own, but for me right now that’s enough.

I might end up with one eventually, still quite happy with my red iPhone 7 on sim only, it’s still in pristine condition too.

I understand what you’re saying, but I ran a speed test just now on my 4G 8 Plus and got a download speed of 60 Mbps. I’d expect that to be less in a city, where 5G would come into its own, but for me right now that’s enough.

I didn't believe you so I tried it with mine, an iPhone XS. I was wrong, you were right, 55 Mbps in rural Hertfordshire. I'm amazed. That seems plenty fast to me.

Rob.

My 14 year old daughter is champing at the bit for this thing, already got a quote for trading in her 7, so it will only cost her (me) around £600, which she’ll pay back from her Christmas and birthday money, honest...:rolleyes:

Not happening I’m afraid.
Nope, my daughter (same age) is the same, I paid £650 for her iPhone 7 less than two years ago, I’m not doing it again. If the 7 is good for me, it’s good for her too.

I didn't believe you so I tried it with mine, an iPhone XS. I was wrong, you were right, 55 Mbps in rural Hertfordshire. I'm amazed. That seems plenty fast to me.

5G’s advantages would be in a city where there are a large number of concurrent users. 3G, which once seemed the bee’s knees, now seems slow beyond belief.

But weren't the phones failing the levels even within the guidelines? Or was it just if the phone touches you ... as if no one touches their phone to use or carry it.

Nope they were within guidelines at 5cm, but out on touch, along with samsung galaxy models and Motorola models. It would appear however the iphone 7 was pretty poor in that respect but apple tested at the required distance and at the required distance it passed the FCC requirements (And indeed requirements from governing bodies around the world).

The mockery is on the 5cm testing distance, I would agree thats cray cray, but its not on apple.

What is on apple is I think at the iphone 7 they discreetly removed the radiation warning from the retail box :)

If I had a 14 year old child I am certain they would be using far more of the capabilities than I do.
Maybe so, but how much do they really need? I bought her the phone for Christmas because I had one myself in red and she was absolutely in love with it, her iPhone 5 was nearly dead too... but her iPhone 7 is still in excellent working condition and still fast. I’m not the kind of person who continually upgrades something every time a new model comes out, I’m careful with money and I don’t like waste, I want her to be the same way.

Maybe so, but how much do they really need? I bought her the phone for Christmas because I had one myself in red and she was absolutely in love with it, her iPhone 5 was nearly dead too... but her iPhone 7 is still in excellent working condition and still fast. I’m not the kind of person who continually upgrades something every time a new model comes out, I’m careful with money and I don’t like waste, I want her to be the same way.

Yes of course agreed. My comment was light-hearted.

I upgraded my 6s, which I thought was great, for an X a few months ago and have been knocked out with it - beautiful screen, pictures, much better than I thought it would be. Think I’m going to hang on to it to next year because i don’t think the 11 would give me enough more for the money. Next year I’ll probably succumb though. But I have just had a play with the 11 pro max and it’s a thing of wonder - as my eyes are getting worse as I get older I might just go for the 12 pro max when it comes. OTOH maybe I should just get the watch for the fun of a new toy and squint. Steve Wozniak said the other day that he reckons the Watch is the thing to have to liberate yourself from the phone. Whatever, I think apple will do well out of this new round - there are still folk queuing outside the store in Birmingham.

I have a 5. It's great. But if I wasn't locked into the Apple thing with computers and all, I'd not buy another. Why pay more for less. The new Samsungs eat everything the iPhone does and come back for seconds. Also coming up fast on the inside rail are Oppo and OnePlus. Teenagers who clamour for bigger and better bling need directing to a job, to earn the cash IMO, but the Galaxy S10e would be a good way to spend that hard earned. A mere £699...every child should have one surely.
And as to the quality of photos on offer. Just buy a camera if you are that serious.

Depends on a thousand things but I'm not, unless you are taking undemanding subjects, for small scale reproduction (ie on another phone or similar) with no texture or detail required, on a standard focal length in good light. Any enlargement over A4 will show dramatic differences, and the creative control available in a camera is far and away in front.
If you mean taking snaps for an undemanding audience then ok, but then Spotify is some peoples idea of the ultimate in SQ too. It just depends on your standards.

I’ve just moved my two year old 8+ to a SIM only deal, that will do for another year or two. Even my twelve year granddaughter is laughing at the idea of three cameras!

i'm pretty sure it is simply 3 lenses, not 3 cameras, and it's a very useful thing when taking pictures. that said, huawei is the better option.

Depends on a thousand things but I'm not, unless you are taking undemanding subjects, for small scale reproduction (ie on another phone or similar) with no texture or detail required, on a standard focal length in good light. Any enlargement over A4 will show dramatic differences, and the creative control available in a camera is far and away in front.
If you mean taking snaps for an undemanding audience then ok, but then Spotify is some peoples idea of the ultimate in SQ too. It just depends on your standards.

I’ve a 5D3 and an iPhone XS. They both have their uses, I enjoy both. But producing a 5D3 in many situations would be ridiculous.

advertisement

Back