advertisement

IPhone 11

@Tony L iPadOS 13 now supports external USB usage.

Yes, plus you can apparently connect to servers via the files app. It looks like a huge step in the right direction, though whether it is enough to consider it a viable desktop replacement I don’t know.

My criticism of iOS has always been the total lack of file-handling. It was incapable of doing things I could do on even a vintage 8088 IBM XT DOS PC, e.g. grab a zip file from the network, save it to a directory of my choice, unzip it, FTP the contents up to a server or whatever. I have a feeling iPadOS drags Apple’s jaw-droppingly amazing iPad hardware into something that is now at least less obviously nobbled by its OS, but probably a long way left to go before it really lives up to its potential. What I really want is to be able to use say a 1TB iPad Pro as my main computer, the hardware is certainly more than good enough, it all depends on whether iPadOS grows to the level one can do proper low-level computing on it.

PS I suspect I’m now at the stage where I could run an iPad Pro plus say a headless Mini or even a little Linux box (VNC into it or whatever) and not need a laptop, but time will tell. Basically I don’t want to be buying a new MBP as I don’t like the direction they have taken in recent years with aesthetic ‘thinness’ being the key performance indicator.

Stuck iPadOS on my Air 2 last night. Still exploring, but looks pretty decent so far.

dark mode is taking a bit of getting used to for me - it’s a bit of a shock if I switch to an app that doesn’t support it and everything is white! It’s a nice idea though so I’ll carry on with it. I now have 13 on iPhone, iPad and Apple TV...

Mick

@Rack Kit

I’ve seen mention of the ultra wide being a similar angle as a GoPro. Perhaps that’s the next market they’re aiming for?
Possibly Tony. It just looks too wide for me. In 35mm terms, I think 20, 35 & 85mm would have been the 3 focal lengths to go for. Looks like they gone 11mm (35mm) at the wide end on the 11.

Anyhow, it's not for me - I'm definitely skipping this one and keeping my X (10). I've had the 4, 6 plus, and 10. Clearly I don't do odd numbers! ;)

dark mode is taking a bit of getting used to for me - it’s a bit of a shock if I switch to an app that doesn’t support it and everything is white! It’s a nice idea though so I’ll carry on with it. I now have 13 on iPhone, iPad and Apple TV...

I detest any ‘dark modes’ on modern LCD computers, even screens as good as Apple’s. In low light it always makes my eyes have dark lines across my vision for quite a while after looking at the screen, i.e. if I look away from the screen at a white wall there are distinct horizontal lines across it. A horrible effect which takes quite a few minutes to recede. Its odd as I don’t remember this from old the green-screen CRTs I started out in IT using, though I guess I never used them close up in low light the way I do my iPad or iPhone.

Yes, plus you can apparently connect to servers via the files app. It looks like a huge step in the right direction, though whether it is enough to consider it a viable desktop replacement I don’t know.

My criticism of iOS has always been the total lack of file-handling. It was incapable of doing things I could do on even a vintage 8088 IBM XT DOS PC, e.g. grab a zip file from the network, save it to a directory of my choice, unzip it, FTP the contents up to a server or whatever. I have a feeling iPadOS drags Apple’s jaw-droppingly amazing iPad hardware into something that is now at least less obviously nobbled by its OS, but probably a long way left to go before it really lives up to its potential. What I really want is to be able to use say a 1TB iPad Pro as my main computer, the hardware is certainly more than good enough, it all depends on whether iPadOS grows to the level one can do proper low-level computing on it.

PS I suspect I’m now at the stage where I could run an iPad Pro plus say a headless Mini or even a little Linux box (VNC into it or whatever) and not need a laptop, but time will tell. Basically I don’t want to be buying a new MBP as I don’t like the direction they have taken in recent years with aesthetic ‘thinness’ being the key performance indicator.

Hmm, I think you could be waiting a long time before an iPad Pro can replace a full on laptop Tony. I'd scrap the idea and just go for one of the current MacBook Pros which are great machines. I use a 2017 13" for working on the road and a 15" that's connected to an LG 27" 5K screen at home. The ipad great for general browsing and editing small numbers of pictures in LR. It'll need a decent image browser for me to be able to go through a connected CF card of images though but at least it's getting there.

Possibly Tony. It just looks too wide for me. In 35mm terms, I think 20, 35 & 85mm would have been the 3 focal lengths to go for. Looks like they gone 11mm (35mm) at the wide end on the 11.

Anyhow, it's not for me - I'm definitely skipping this one and keeping my X (10). I've had the 4, 6 plus, and 10. Clearly I don't do odd numbers! ;)

I got an iPhone 11 Pro yesterday. Nice enough but not exactly a big jump from the XS I had been using. Apart that is from battery life.

I’ve been on the go since before 6am and have been browsing the web during two thirty minute breaks, and taking a few pics here and there, and I’m still on 85% battery.

Very impressive.

I got an iPhone 11 Pro yesterday. Nice enough but not exactly a big jump from the XS I had been using. Apart that is from battery life.

I’ve been on the go since before 6am and have been browsing the web during two thirty minute breaks, and taking a few pics here and there, and I’m still on 85% battery.

Very impressive.

Being a cheapskate I went for a 128GB 11, rather than the Pro - I've come to it from a 6S and it's quite startling how much better it is, particularly, as you say, battery life.

Mick

Being a cheapskate I went for a 128GB 11, rather than the Pro - I've come to it from a 6S and it's quite startling how much better it is, particularly, as you say, battery life.

Mick
The 6S was and still is a great phone, bar of course battery life, though it competed in its day. I'm not surprised you find the 11 so much better though; year-on-year the improvements aren't big, but four years....

To comment further on battery life, I charged the 11 up to 100% last night, didn’t charge it overnight at all, and it was still at the same level shortly after 5am today. It only dropped down to 99% around an hour ago. It had no use during this time.

Mick

To comment further on battery life, I charged the 11 up to 100% last night, didn’t charge it overnight at all, and it was still at the same level shortly after 5am today. It only dropped down to 99% around an hour ago. It had no use during this time.

Mick

Was it on networks or in Flight Mode?

advertisement

Back