advertisement

Interesting new Streamer - Eversolo DMP-A6

It supports the necessary protocol (UPnP?), but apparently that's a rather loose standard, and many are skeptical that it will work.

I setup a Pi3 for my friend, running piCorePlayer with LMS and SqueezeLite. He's always been leery about the fiddly techie nature of it, so he ordered a DMP-A6 to replace it. I'm not sure if I can remotely talk him through setting up the Eversolo as a client, as a proof of concept. I'll discuss it with him today.

I have to admit that my Pi players are frequently causing me grief. I can't get my Pi4 to talk to my Benchmark DAC2 via USB. I has worked fine with the Denafrips Pontus II, Denafrips Iris, and T+A DAC200, so I'm not sure what the deal is. Therefore, I understand my friend's reticence with the technology.

Just wondering if anyone has tried using an LMS server as a source for their DMP-A6, if this is possible, and how well it works?

Looks like a really nice piece of kit for the main listening room, but as I use LMS for several Squeezeboxes around the house I would not be keen on maintaining a separate library for (or on) the DMP-A6.
Why would your library need to be separate? What are you hosting on, a Windows PC?

Why would your library need to be separate? What are you hosting on, a Windows PC?
I suspect he's like me, with umpteen Squeezeboxen around the house, with the Eversolo hopefully playing nice with the pre-existing ecosystem.

In my case, I have 7 active Squeezebox devices of various types, and another half-dozen earlier ones languishing in storage.

The LMS server is a Pi with an SSD full of music connected to the network. It feeds all of the streamers around the house, has a great fully customisable interface, and can sync across rooms. If the DMP-A6 is compatible with it or can run an (Android?) client, it just makes integrating it really easy.

This fella is getting tempting. I don't suppose anyone has compared the master with the normal if using it's own dac? Alternatively, has anyone tried the master dac and what do they think of it, and compared to what? Finally, is the software all up to speed, I'd use it almost exclusively for Qobuz.

I also felt tempted by the colourful screen that my Gustard R26 lacks. Then I moved the furniture around a bit put the SB Touch on a small side table close to my listening sofa. Synced it with the Gustard R26 and hey, now I have a screen and a remote :)
The Gustard is more well behaved with the AirPlay protocol than with UPnP, but AirPlay is apparently only 16/44.

There are Android apps that will emulate a Squeezebox but you can simply mount the contents of the Pi on a share and use DNLA on the DMP-A6.

And those apps will run on the DMP-A6 happily so that it can integrate into the rest of the Squeezebox ecosystem (seen as a Squeezebox endpoint, control through the same app, able to sync with the other players)? I guess that is really the question I am asking.

If anyone is transferring their library across, do spend a bit of time trying different methods - my first attempt, via 10/100 network (see above) would still have been running, but moving the A6 into the same room as the router and my Mac brought back gigabit speeds. Even then, I found transfers via Finder (from NAS via Mac to A6) roughly twice as fast and more reliable than using my preferred Finder-replacement, PathFinder, which for some reason isn't so hot with network transfers;
Since you have successfully transferred your library I hoped you wouldn't mind if I asked a few questions.

I will hopefully be transferring my library this weekend when I receive my SSD. Must the transfer be done over the network? My library is currently on an external USB3.0 HDD that could be removed from my MacMini, as Roon Core, and connected directly at the rear of the A6, would that work? The instructions are not particularly clear! All my artwork is embedded in the files, does there need to be a jpg in the album folder? I'm trying to be prepared like a good Boy Scout!

I honestly can't really answer your questions. My library isn't 100% organised, but it did at least as good a job as had the Bluesound Node 2i I used before when importing in. I don't mind a bit of inconsistency in my library, but not sure whether my FLACs have embedded images or not. I think I mostly have jpgs in the folder of each album however.

I honestly can't really answer your questions. My library isn't 100% organised, but it did at least as good a job as had the Bluesound Node 2i I used before when importing in. I don't mind a bit of inconsistency in my library, but not sure whether my FLACs have embedded images or not. I think I mostly have jpgs in the folder of each album however.
Ta. I’ll get there I’m sure.

@Fergus If you look at my post No.176 you will see photos of how my library turned out. No artist photos but when I play the album you can see the picture of said album.

@Fergus If you look at my post No.176 you will see photos of how my library turned out. No artist photos but when I play the album you can see the picture of said album.
Thanks, as long as I can hear it I suppose. I always have the option of running it as I do as a Roon endpoint but I like the idea of having it as a stand alone component.

In my case it works really well as a Roon Endpoint, even with DSD 256 files via WiFi. For cue files and SACD ISOs (not supported by Roon) I use its internal player to stream from the Roon server.

I have been using an Eversolo DMP-A6 for about a week now and am delighted with its sound. Out of curiosity I have ordered a Crucial P3 4TB m.2 ssd for internal storage. Does anyone who has tried this have any comments regarding performance benefits of local storage?
The Eversolo continues to impress me used as a Roon endpoint and will do till I receive my replacement Crucial SSD. I followed all the installation instructions and got as far as formatting the drive EXFat, as recommended and it disappeared. This had been reported elsewhere before as a possibility but because I don’t have an external adapter for that type of SSD I took it to a computer tech to have it formatted. Once fitted in the adapter he connected it to his computer and it appeared as a drive but he could not format it. So it has been returned and I will be getting a new one this weekend. This time I will format it NTFS, the alternative given. Lets hope lightning doesn't strike twice!

The Eversolo continues to impress me used as a Roon endpoint and will do till I receive my replacement Crucial SSD. I followed all the installation instructions and got as far as formatting the drive EXFat, as recommended and it disappeared. This had been reported elsewhere before as a possibility but because I don’t have an external adapter for that type of SSD I took it to a computer tech to have it formatted. Once fitted in the adapter he connected it to his computer and it appeared as a drive but he could not format it. So it has been returned and I will be getting a new one this weekend. This time I will format it NTFS, the alternative given. Lets hope lightning doesn't strike twice!

Thanks for the info, that is what happened with my Fanxiang SSD, except I couldn't even format it, and I purchased on of those adaptors.

advertisement

Back