advertisement

Interesting new Streamer - Eversolo DMP-A6

I don't anymore since I have a hub but I used a 4.5m Amazon Basics USB cable for a year with no issues whatsoever. My view has always been and still is, that a USB to the proper spec either works or it doesn't. I have a couple of fancy USB cables that I was given and do use because, why not. They make no sonic difference whatsoever.

Thankfully, I don't run Ethernet so can't pontificate about that.

As for Coax, my view is that BNC or proper 75Ohm RCA plugs are far more important than the fancy cable in between.

I received my replacement SSD and formatted it NTFS. Writing from external HDD to internal SSD right now. Should be listening to local files by this evening.
Could I be so lucky?
Well no, it took nearly 9 hours to load 35,000 tracks onto the SSD and then they had to be scanned into the Library. All looks good though and I should be listening soon.

Fergus, how many tb was that? Once you have everything up and running can you do me a big favour: turn the unit off completely at some point and let me know how long it takes to sync the SSD and be ready to play after you switch it back on.

Only if you can face it of course but I turn all my equipment off after use and this would be no different.

Fergus, how many tb was that? Once you have everything up and running can you do me a big favour: turn the unit off completely at some point and let me know how long it takes to sync the SSD and be ready to play after you switch it back on.

Only if you can face it of course but I turn all my equipment off after use and this would be no different.
No problem because I had to switch it off to put it back in my system. My library is around 2.5tb and when I powered it back up everything was there almost immediately. It took me a moment to figure out what to do!

I saw it has UPnP, but that can be a hot and miss. Slimdevices forum has complaints about an earlier model (Zidoo Neo S Streamer) that "seems not properly programmed"...

If any manufacturers of these things are looking for beta testers, I'm up for it.

No problem because I had to switch it off to put it back in my system. My library is around 2.5tb and when I powered it back up everything was there almost immediately. It took me a moment to figure out what to do!
I suspect you have a larger percentage of hi-res files than I do, or you're storing them as WAVs rather than FLACs.

My track count is very similar, 35,587, but consuming only 1.02 TB (1,128,828,690,186 bytes). That's mostly FLACs, perhaps 1000 of those are beyond CD resolution, and there are probably a few hundred hi-res MP3s in there as well.

Another possibility is that you formatted your drive strangely. What file system did you use (e.g. FAT32, exFAT, NTFS)? My drive is 2TB, formatted as NTFS.

I suspect you have a larger percentage of hi-res files than I do, or you're storing them as WAVs rather than FLACs.

My track count is very similar, 35,587, but consuming only 1.02 TB (1,128,828,690,186 bytes). That's mostly FLACs, perhaps 1000 of those are beyond CD resolution, and there are probably a few hundred hi-res MP3s in there as well.

Another possibility is that you formatted your drive strangely. What file system did you use (e.g. FAT32, exFAT, NTFS)? My drive is 2TB, formatted as NTFS.
My drive is 4TB. I formatted it NTFS because for whatever reason the first SSD I got and formatted it exFAT just disappeared and was not usable. I presume it was faulty. Many of my files are higher resolution flac and with vinyl rips in there too.

The information I received on my thread wasn’t completely correct. I added a folder with 6 files this morning and it automatically went into a full scan which takes about 30 minutes. This has been further queried. If a scan for only new items does not exist I’m hoping it is something they can add, like Logitech Media Server which I used many years ago.

http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/updating-library.96156/

Thanks for your info @Fergus, I'm not currently using my A6, but will have to sort an internal SSD in the near future before I head to warmer climes for 6 months. It is highly unlikely that I will add anything to my library since I use Qobuz and have a separate library for that.

The more I look into and use this device the more impressed I am with it. I figure that with a loaded SSD fitted and using the touch screen only, or maybe with the remote, it could be used as a standalone device without even network connection. Much as I enjoy Roon I don’t like being at the mercy of price hikes and software updates that render your hardware useless, I think its days are numbered.

The key bit from that thread seems to be switching the DAC into USB 2.0 mode

I never used USB 1.0 mode ... so - look at the manual so i don't mis-instruct you but it is as simple as pressing and holding USB button on remote for 5 seconds and it will switch to USB 2.0 mode ... you might not need even to reboot your PC after that but do that to make it simpler.

The more I look into and use this device the more impressed I am with it. I figure that with a loaded SSD fitted and using the touch screen only, or maybe with the remote, it could be used as a standalone device without even network connection. Much as I enjoy Roon I don’t like being at the mercy of price hikes and software updates that render your hardware useless, I think its days are numbered.

I can see no reason why it could not be used as a library player only. You would obviously have to have network connection for streaming Qobus/Tidal ect, but you don't need Roon. I don't use Roon, my brother does, and I can see the advantages Roon brings, he was lucky enough to purchase a lifetime subscription when the cost was only $500.

Getting quite close to giving this a go. Three further questions: has anyone used the optical out from (LG) TV and suffered any lag; has anyone noticed any ground loops, or system noise from the SMPS; any idea if the remote is now included or at least freely available? Thanks.

Thanks. And finally, does anyone know if you can have xlr and rca connected simultaneously and just switch between them?

advertisement

Back