advertisement

Interesting new Streamer - Eversolo DMP-A6

After a 2 week love affair with my Master Edition with very extensive listening I've ultimately returned mine as I eventually couldn't shake the 'amazing hifi sound' impression. I'm wondering, as the negative impression was the same as the other streamers tried of late though taking longer to emerge with the A6 vs Node3 vs WiiM pro in that order, that my ATCs are just too analytical for them. I honestly thought the coax out into my BM2 HGC was the best I ve heard but the shine came off after a day or so. So back to my Touch for now.
Worthy mention to Audio Emotion, fantastic service and an absolute pleasure to deal with, buy with total confidence.

So back to my Touch for now.
I went from SB Touch to Gustard R26 NOS streamer/DAC and use the non-oversampling mode. It's working fine with the UPnP LMS plugin. If you just have 16/44 files, use the Apple protocol.
A person I know warned me of the chip used in the Eversolo as very analytical and "hifi". That stopped me from buying it. A screen is nice to have though, but I just sync my SBT and get a screen much nearer to my listening pos. I also have a Duet remote :)

Cooky, how was it with its own dac?
It was ok, very clear,detailed with slight upper mid/ low treble lift, low bass was slightly soft but overall just a tad over enthusiastic/ over impressive via the ATCs, perhaps a less analytical system would be fine with it- a step up from the node'3' for sure.
The search for an analogy to describe my impression gets no easier sorry.

Last edited:
After a 2 week love affair with my Master Edition with very extensive listening I've ultimately returned mine as I eventually couldn't shake the 'amazing hifi sound' impression. I'm wondering, as the negative impression was the same as the other streamers tried of late though taking longer to emerge with the A6 vs Node3 vs WiiM pro in that order, that my ATCs are just too analytical for them. I honestly thought the coax out into my BM2 HGC was the best I ve heard but the shine came off after a day or so. So back to my Touch for now.
Worthy mention to Audio Emotion, fantastic service and an absolute pleasure to deal with, buy with total confidence.
I'm actually quite intrigued to think that a streamer could have such a significant impact on the sound. As long as the data is getting through without errors and/or jitter, it should have minimal impact.

Differences in DACs make much more sense, given half of a DAC is an analog section, and those can vary significantly. Even in the digital side, DSP processing can have an impact, if you're playing with upsampling, et al.

I believe the Eversolo can also feed USB to a DAC, which I contend is the best conduit to use for digital information transfer. Did you try that between your DMP-A6 and your Benchmark DAC2?

BTW, I've never gotten my Pi4/piCorePlayer to feed USB to the my Benchmark, even though it works fine with the Denafrips Iris and Pontus 2, and also the T+A DAC200. However, I had no problem sending USB from my Windows PC to the Benchmark.

Maybe that's the answer Mike, why people pay £20k+ compared to £150.
That could be, which is why I use USB, rather than S/PDIF.
  • USB offers a much higher rate (currently 768KHz versus 192KHz for S/PDIF).
  • USB includes error correction (CRC with retransmission of problem packets). With S/PDIF, you've got only one shot at it.
The only problem area for USB is the noise that can come in from the source's power supply on those lines of the USB. Many better DACs include galvanic isolation to deal with this, or you can use a cheap Topping HS01 to do the trick.

@Mike Hanson I must try USB again, I've got a nice Artisan Silver cables coax, which has been my preference, although somewhere in the drawer there is a Transparent USB going unused. I do have an Audioquest Jitterbug, is it worth using on of these as well, or are they only for pc use?

@Mike Hanson I must try USB again, I've got a nice Artisan Silver cables coax, which has been my preference, although somewhere in the drawer there is a Transparent USB going unused. I do have an Audioquest Jitterbug, is it worth using on of these as well, or are they only for pc use?
I say the Jitterbug is well worth a try, nothing to lose.

I'm actually quite intrigued to think that a streamer could have such a significant impact on the sound. As long as the data is getting through without errors and/or jitter, it should have minimal impact.

Differences in DACs make much more sense, given half of a DAC is an analog section, and those can vary significantly. Even in the digital side, DSP processing can have an impact, if you're playing with upsampling, et al.

I believe the Eversolo can also feed USB to a DAC, which I contend is the best conduit to use for digital information transfer. Did you try that between your DMP-A6 and your Benchmark DAC2?

BTW, I've never gotten my Pi4/piCorePlayer to feed USB to the my Benchmark, even though it works fine with the Denafrips Iris and Pontus 2, and also the T+A DAC200. However, I had no problem sending USB from my Windows PC to the Benchmark.
Yes I went through every output option, I even dialled back the digital output ( hardly any possibility the Benchmark wouldn't have sufficient headroom but tried it anyway).
At one point I wondered if the BM was faulty but swapping digital sources proved all was well.
I gave the A6 2 weeks and there's a lot very positive to say about it and I certainly wanted to like it, it's a really nice bit of kit and was really hoping I wasn't going to have to fork out a shed load of cash before I'm happy. Folk shouldn't get the wrong idea here, it has a lot going for it.
Ethernet into Network switch, dedicated 5 v supply for the Squeezebox Touch, LMS on Mac mini, coax into BM still the thing to beat in my system at least, just sounds 'right' when I return to it.

Are you talking cables? For USB, I think any acceptable cable, as long as it's not too long. I've tried the cheapest thing from my box of cables, up to a "modest" Audioquest Forest. They all sounded exactly the same to my ears.

I think that S/PDIF coax signals would be more sensitive to cable selection. S/PDIF optical is less sensitive (unless you're placing your a DAC a kilometer away from your transport :D).

advertisement

Back