advertisement

Integrated amp opinions

wow ... they found the norma bright !!!!!! incredible !! mark uses one with audionote and i used with very high sensitivity impulse horns and it was chocolate smooth :D:D in fact slightly too smooth itherwise i would have bought one !!

agree - my Norma experience is that it was almost velvety - iron fist in a velvet glove type approach

As with everything, system synergy is key! My Norma is smooooth with Audio Note source and speakers. BUT, put a thin and brightly lit recording on, and hey ho, it’s going to sound thin and brightly lit. I’ve never owned a system that can ever ameliorate that!

I didn’t say the Norma wasn’t smooth. I agree, it is very smooth, just bright, with a top end glare that was (for me) unlistenable.

Atoll IN300
Better than Supernait, lyngdorf, Hegel to my ears. Inbuilt Dac also very good. Optional phono input.

Got an amp itch and wondering which way to scratch it.

Interested in opinions (subjective, of course) between the following "house sounds" ie general sound tendency of the following integrateds and personal preferences:

Hegal
LFD
Naim
Karan KA 180 mk2
Densen
Any other favourites

I would buy used, so anything that was/is up to about £5k new.

70wpc into 8 ohms upwards.

Current system is Townsend TT, LFD phono, Arcam A5 CD, Topping E30, Densen B100 Mk5, Tukans plus sub.

Tony

How about one of the Copland hybrids such as the CSA100 or 150? I was impressed when I tried the former with a wide variety of music which it made a pleasure to listen to - no edge even on indie music and had good rhythm too. I ended up with the big Hegel for its clarity and detail but I didn’t compare it against the 390 so can’t comment.

If you plump for low distortion solid-state amplification, there will be inaudible levels of distortion, I would buy on features, aesthetics and of course make sure they have enough power to properly drive your loudspeakers, are these they?
https://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/679/index.html

Keith

I'd add a UK based service center. My Densen B100 broke twice in the 15+ years I owned it, and though Densen were great about repair shipping from the US to Denmark was an expensive nightmare. From now on any expensive hifi I plan on owning long term would have to have domestic service / repair. In the UK I would think that makes Rega a top contender.

A friend has the Norma on extended demo. I thought it sounded absolutely awful (sorry, Peter, I know you are starting to like it). Very powerful and muscular, but also very bright and metallic sounding, and totally unmusical. It literally made me want to exit the room as quickly as possible.

A Sonneteer Alabaster however is reasonably priced and sounds great. I would take one over any of the above... Actually, I did, I have one for my desktop system with Chartwell LS3/5 speakers and it is a great combination.
I tried so many different combinations and while it is incredibly dynamic with a tonne of headroom with my Graham LS 5/9s I couldn’t get to commit. Bottom and mids are great but I found the highs a little too bright. But I was coming from a 5.5 year stint with a Lavardin IT which is a much warmer amp. I also think my room with new shutters on the windows can be bright.

I am now seriously considering a Sugden. The SE which is 30 watts class a.

Thanks everyone for responding. My shortlist is now LFD, Hegal, Karan. Does anyone have direct experience of how the compare?
I’ve heard the Karan and if I could get one with a reasonable price I would grab it in a heartbeat.

Maybe not for the Tukans, but if I change speakers in the future 70wpc upwards should drive most.

If you will be changing your speakers in the future and you have an itch to spend I would change the speakers now.

It will bring a much greater change to your system than changing your amp will .

I can vouch for Hegel. I have a H390, incredible amp. Plenty of muscle but agile with it. You can stream and it has a good dac in it. If you buy used it will be well under your budget.

To add options to confusion, my 2cents are: of those you mentioned in the original post, a Supernait3 is powerful, authoritative, civilized and still Naim enough; a more refined, 3D, HiFi amp is the rega Æthos; having had experience of those and of others, I'd probably leave current Luxmans alone; I even still have a soft spot for the original Supernait, whose onboard DAC was very underrated and very enjoyable. Try to have personal demos. But once you've grown accustomed to the house sound, Naim is still somehow a certainty.

Best with your choice.

Got an amp itch and wondering which way to scratch it.

Interested in opinions (subjective, of course) between the following "house sounds" ie general sound tendency of the following integrateds and personal preferences:

Hegal
LFD
Naim
Karan KA 180 mk2
Densen
Any other favourites

I would buy used, so anything that was/is up to about £5k new.

70wpc into 8 ohms upwards.

Current system is Townsend TT, LFD phono, Arcam A5 CD, Topping E30, Densen B100 Mk5, Tukans plus sub.

Tony
I would recommend an ex demo Accuphase integrated Amp

I would recommend an ex demo Accuphase integrated Amp

If you are able to narrow down a few dealers who offer ideally several of these manufacturers amplifiers, then I would take along your speakers and have an A to B comparison. Only your own ears can actually determine which amplifier you may prefer versus another. You may have to repeat the exercise with several dealers to establish which amplifiers sound best to you. Other people can make various suggestions but what you like may differ from what they like. I know it may not be easy to do this but it would be a great exercise if you are able to organise it. Hope you get to make the right choice in due course.

advertisement

Back