advertisement

Integrated amp opinions

That's a whole other discussion. Could well be right.

At this point I'm just interested in comparison opinions on the following:

Hegal
LFD
Naim
Karan KA 180 mk2
Densen

LFD house sound is a bit like a cross between tubes and solid state. You get some of the most liquid and natural mids and top end available in any gear, and a bit of sympathetic “warmth” that helps with long-term listening enjoyment, avoiding a “clinical” sound.

I would look at the NCSE mk2 or mk3, or the LPCD integrateds.

LFD house sound is a bit like a cross between tubes and solid state. You get some of the most liquid and natural mids and top end available in any gear, and a bit of sympathetic “warmth” that helps with long-term listening enjoyment, avoiding a “clinical” sound.

I would look at the NCSE mk2 or mk3, or the LPCD integrateds.

Reading the OP I see and LFD phono stage which would naturally compliment an LFD integrated amplifier.

Previously, I was using the NCSE mk1, eventually adding an MCT SE phono stage. My replacement is an LPCD integrated.
By most accounts the NCSE mk3 is a terrific amp and would have been my choice, only took the option as I fancied a change.

The LFD range is not cheap, but it is a quality product and the components that I have experienced have a rightness about them.
Of course it comes down to personal taste and there are undoubtedly better choices, although I have spent more time listening to music since getting the LFD bug.

Mik Bhavnani at Unique Audio would be worth contacting re LFD.

A few months back Guildford Audio had a trade in NCSE mk3 in mint condition for a great price, worth hunting around for a good secondhand model.

Thanks everyone so far. Thinking to narrow this down a bit. So with that in
Reading the OP I see and LFD phono stage which would naturally compliment an LFD integrated amplifier.

Previously, I was using the NCSE mk1, eventually adding an MCT SE phono stage. My replacement is an LPCD integrated.
By most accounts the NCSE mk3 is a terrific amp and would have been my choice, only took the option as I fancied a change.

The LFD range is not cheap, but it is a quality product and the components that I have experienced have a rightness about them.
Of course it comes down to personal taste and there are undoubtedly better choices, although I have spent more time listening to music since getting the LFD bug.

Mik Bhavnani at Unique Audio would be worth contacting re LFD.

A few months back Guildford Audio had a trade in NCSE mk3 in mint condition for a great price, worth hunting around for a good secondhand model.

Thanks. I may give him a call.

Thanks everyone for responding. My shortlist is now LFD, Hegal, Karan. Does anyone have direct experience of how the compare?

yes thats the problem . !! hegel still made and very very popular . you can easily get a listen at a dealer . Norma not so easy but i certainly would have a norma anyday . there are at least 2 hegel dealers on PFM if not more and they can sort you a demo i am sure

No idea about most of the others but Hegel is neutral to a point. At £5k you will get an integrated that will drive anything with low distortion, ease and power.

If you plump for low distortion solid-state amplification, there will be inaudible levels of distortion, I would buy on features, aesthetics and of course make sure they have enough power to properly drive your loudspeakers, are these they?
https://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/679/index.html

Keith
Those are them. But I have a BK sub to fill in the bottom end. Like the Tukans because they are designed to use up against a wall and the have an in ya face presentation. Quite sharp on the treble. Suits my 12k rolled off ears.

I had the Hegel, which I found grainy and more hifi than music.

I owned the LFD NCSE Mk III for a few years and thought it was very good, although quite a bit ovepriced these days. It is warm sounding, very fast, and has an engaging sound. The only real deficiency is the passive preamp section, which can make it sound a little lean, thin and underpowered in some contexts. In the right system - eg small room, LS3/5 type speakers, near field - it is excellent.

A friend has the Norma on extended demo. I thought it sounded absolutely awful (sorry, Peter, I know you are starting to like it). Very powerful and muscular, but also very bright and metallic sounding, and totally unmusical. It literally made me want to exit the room as quickly as possible.

A Sonneteer Alabaster however is reasonably priced and sounds great. I would take one over any of the above... Actually, I did, I have one for my desktop system with Chartwell LS3/5 speakers and it is a great combination.

Actually quite the opposite according to the Stereophile measurements.
Keith
I had Tukans from 1995 to around 2010. Had a foray into Sonus Faber, first the Concertinos and then the Concertos. Didn't like them and went back to Tukans a couple of years ago with a sub to give a little bass lift. Very happy with presentation. Just wondering if I can gain anything by upgrading the amp (Densen B100 Mk5) An amp itch. Also would like a remote particularly for the volume control since I can't conveniently situate the amp near to the listening position. Maybe some mod could be done to add a motorised pot to the Densen.

A Sonneteer Alabaster however is reasonably priced and sounds great. I would take one over any of the above... Actually, I did, I have one for my desktop system with Chartwell LS3/5 speakers and it is a great combination.

Now that you've mentioned it, I need to try the Sonneteer Orton with Graham LS5/9 some time. I was supposed to try the Naim with the Graham but didn't have the time to accomplish it just yet. The Orton will be up next. All these surplus gear and speakers have been sitting around for quite some time and I'll need to find the time to hook them all up and ultimately listen..

The Alabaster sounded great when we tried it with a friend's LS5/9s so I would expect the Orton would also sound excellent.

You missed two worthwhile opportunities in the Classifieds recently, namely a Hegel H200 and a Lyngdorf TDAi3400.

I had the Hegel, which I found grainy and more hifi than music.

I owned the LFD NCSE Mk III for a few years and thought it was very good, although quite a bit ovepriced these days. It is warm sounding, very fast, and has an engaging sound. The only real deficiency is the passive preamp section, which can make it sound a little lean, thin and underpowered in some contexts. In the right system - eg small room, LS3/5 type speakers, near field - it is excellent.

A friend has the Norma on extended demo. I thought it sounded absolutely awful (sorry, Peter, I know you are starting to like it). Very powerful and muscular, but also very bright and metallic sounding, and totally unmusical. It literally made me want to exit the room as quickly as possible.

wow ... they found the norma bright !!!!!! incredible !! mark uses one with audionote and i used with very high sensitivity impulse horns and it was chocolate smooth :D:D in fact slightly too smooth itherwise i would have bought one !!

advertisement

Back